• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

2 year old beardie hasn’t ate in 3 weeks

hearteyesforbella

Bearded Dragon Egg
Why hasn’t my bearded dragon ate in 3 weeks? and what should I do? he’s head bobbing, and glass surfing and he has a black beard. his poops are small and looks pretty normal other than being small. he’s not losing weight, ive offered dubias, super worms, mealworms but he wont eat it. I give him collards & baby arugula every day. I dust his greens with calcium w d3 2x a week, calcium w no d3 2x a week and herptivite 1x a week. his lights are correct, 150 watt bulb t8 uvb bulb and temps are correct, basking is 99-104 degrees, cool side is 70-73 degrees . closest exotic vet is 4 hours away btw so it’s pretty far away.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Why hasn’t my bearded dragon ate in 3 weeks? and what should I do? he’s head bobbing, and glass surfing and he has a black beard. his poops are small and looks pretty normal other than being small. he’s not losing weight, ive offered dubias, super worms, mealworms but he wont eat it. I give him collards & baby arugula every day. I dust his greens with calcium w d3 2x a week, calcium w no d3 2x a week and herptivite 1x a week. his lights are correct, 150 watt bulb t8 uvb bulb and temps are correct, basking is 99-104 degrees, cool side is 70-73 degrees . closest exotic vet is 4 hours away btw so it’s pretty far away.
Please tell me where your UVB is? T 8's are not strong enough to go thru screen and it should be inside the tank directly above the basking decor 6-8 inches and NOT over 6 months old--- I recommend upgrading to a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 or a Arcadia 12% 24 watt bulb for a 40 + gallon tank --- your basking temp is being taken w/ a digital probe thermometer for surface basking temps? Please get your cool side up to 80ish degrees on the cool side for daytime - the 70 to 73 is good night time temps-- if you upgrade to one of the bulbs mentioned above you will be able to cut back on the D3 your giving -- I recommend you start dusting the insects instead of the salads --- the head bobbing is mating behavior -- can he see his reflection? Is there another dragon in the house?

hearteyesforbella

Bearded Dragon Egg
Please tell me where your UVB is? T 8's are not strong enough to go thru screen and it should be inside the tank directly above the basking decor 6-8 inches and NOT over 6 months old--- I recommend upgrading to a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 or a Arcadia 12% 24 watt bulb for a 40 + gallon tank --- your basking temp is being taken w/ a digital probe thermometer for surface basking temps? Please get your cool side up to 80ish degrees on the cool side for daytime - the 70 to 73 is good night time temps-- if you upgrade to one of the bulbs mentioned above you will be able to cut back on the D3 your giving -- I recommend you start dusting the insects instead of the salads --- the head bobbing is mating behavior -- can he see his reflection? Is there another dragon in the house?

he won’t eat insects, before I did dust his insects but for the past 3 weeks he’s not been wanting any bugs, I’ve offered dubias, super worms, mealworms, silk worms, bsfl, I think the only bug he would eat is a hornworm but I haven’t been able to find any at the pet store lately. I have his tank covered, the sides and back so no he can’t see his reflection. I did recently rescue a female dragon but I make sure that they don’t ever see eachother but ofc they do when I go to take her out to bath her. I bought a metal shelf so her tank is on top of his on the metal shelf, and how do I raise the cool side temp? and also abt the uvb side, what light fixture (not bulb) should he have? im gonna buy him a new one with the uvb bulb u recommended thank you!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
he won’t eat insects, before I did dust his insects but for the past 3 weeks he’s not been wanting any bugs, I’ve offered dubias, super worms, mealworms, silk worms, bsfl, I think the only bug he would eat is a hornworm but I haven’t been able to find any at the pet store lately. I have his tank covered, the sides and back so no he can’t see his reflection. I did recently rescue a female dragon but I make sure that they don’t ever see eachother but ofc they do when I go to take her out to bath her. I bought a metal shelf so her tank is on top of his on the metal shelf, and how do I raise the cool side temp? and also abt the uvb side, what light fixture (not bulb) should he have? im gonna buy him a new one with the uvb bulb u recommended thank you!
Please get your insects / worms on line they are much cheaper --- www.dubiaroaches.com -- he must know the female is near especially if he sees her -- this is why your getting the bobbing etc from him -- she doesnt need bathing unless she has pooped herself or she drinks from the bath only -- you can offer water dropped on her nose and see if she will lick - I use a spray bottle w/ mine and spray them and they drink that way and my one drinks off of a salad plate- light fixtures -- here are some links
24" https://www.pangeareptile.com/colle...o-med-reptisun-t5-hood?variant=26907425734756
https://www.pangeareptile.com/colle.../products/arcadia-prot5-12-uvb-bulb-with-hood also found at Pet Smart
2 ft fixture change the bulb out to the one I mentioned above the Reptisun

hearteyesforbella

Bearded Dragon Egg
Please get your insects / worms on line they are much cheaper --- www.dubiaroaches.com -- he must know the female is near especially if he sees her -- this is why your getting the bobbing etc from him -- she doesnt need bathing unless she has pooped herself or she drinks from the bath only -- you can offer water dropped on her nose and see if she will lick - I use a spray bottle w/ mine and spray them and they drink that way and my one drinks off of a salad plate- light fixtures -- here are some links
24" https://www.pangeareptile.com/colle...o-med-reptisun-t5-hood?variant=26907425734756
https://www.pangeareptile.com/colle.../products/arcadia-prot5-12-uvb-bulb-with-hood also found at Pet Smart
2 ft fixture change the bulb out to the one I mentioned above the Reptisun
is there anything I should do about him not eating insects? I read somewhere that if they don’t eat insects to feed them baby food with no added sugars or spices, but I won’t do that if it’s not safe for them. about the female dragon, she always gets in her poop that’s why I have to bath her so often! and do u have any tips for when she’s ready to lay her eggs? I got her a 26 gallon bin for a dig box but i don’t know what sands to use or how to fix her light for the dig box. thanks in advance!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
is there anything I should do about him not eating insects? I read somewhere that if they don’t eat insects to feed them baby food with no added sugars or spices, but I won’t do that if it’s not safe for them. about the female dragon, she always gets in her poop that’s why I have to bath her so often! and do u have any tips for when she’s ready to lay her eggs? I got her a 26 gallon bin for a dig box but i don’t know what sands to use or how to fix her light for the dig box. thanks in advance!
Have you tried silk worms? I will post laybox materials later and answer your question about that

Boobear&Fatboy

Bearded Dragon Egg
My 2 beardies did this a couple months ago as well for no reason. I tried everything from roaches, crickets, mealworms, even hornworms! They started eating normally again after a few weeks. I just figure they aren't hungry enough.

Attachments

• IMG_20240301_225435.jpg
    IMG_20240301_225435.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 3

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Have you tried silk worms? I will post laybox materials later and answer your question about that
When she is running franticly digging glass surfing she may be gravid - make sure all temps in the tank are on par and UVB so that you can rule that out as cause - here is dig box material for you
LAYBOX

Plain topsoil that doesn't have any type of chemicals or fertilizers in it, mixed with sand, etc. Be sure it is at least 10-12 inches deep & that the mix is damp enough to where it will hold up to her making a burrow but not sopping wet to have standing water

Latest posts