• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

2 questions!

Country_Girl

Bearded Dragon Egg
Little backround: Kyuss (Kai-us) is an 8 year old BD, that me and my husband rescued. ive grown up around beardies but was never a part of their day to day chores thus never learned to take care of them, but i just couldnt let his little guy go to someone who could potentially hurt him so we took him in. we have been working very hard on getting everything he needs, and started him on a good vitamin suppliment, have tried a whole array of greens and live feeders. but i have NOT after the first time i had to pick him up and he almost took a chunk out of my hand been able to get myself to try and pick him up again. he will let me pet his head a little but if he thinks im gonna try and pick him up he will made a huffing noise at me and get defensive (flatten body and turn to the side) he hasent ever flashed a black beard at me (only the cats, or when its night night time and he wants to stay up later lol)

so! #1. how can i get him to let us hold him??

and question #2. we want to give him a new name, as a way of starting a new life. ideas????

smokejunky

Juvenile Dragon
I have beardies and monitors.so im no stranger to getting bit haha.i would just say work with him every day to every other day till u tame him out.that what I have to do with mine.

cold blooded

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
My juvi was a little skittish. Even giving me the black beard treatment at first. I remedied this by giving him some yummy Bugs by hand. Silkworms, phoenix worms anything that doesn't move too fast that will stay on your hand for a while is good. Just present the food to him in the flat palm of your hand and let him come to you to get it. Mine took like 5 minutes before a light bulb went off in his head and realized that I wasn't trying to kill him, but feed him. Now when I put my hand in the tank he is more inquisitive then defensive.

Also try not to go at him from above. I understand that this can cause the "classic flight or fight" reaction from them. Think of a large bird coming from above to eat them in the wild. This is not always practical though if you tank opens from the top, but if you just go in from the top as far away from him as possible and approach him from as low as possible that may help him feel less threatened. Worse comes to worse put on some gloves and get him. He'll eventually learn to tolerate handling and with the positive reinforcement of feeding him "treats" by hand he may actually begin to enjoy it!

Latest posts