• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

2 beared dragons one cage?

Venow

Hatchling Dragon
so just got this little guy today local petstore just got it in I was the first to see it and I had to have it. I picked up a pastel leatherback today and I want to know how long can I house them together?
20190327_114114.jpg

Gerald Smith

Hatchling Dragon
I really wanted to get two myself. But everything I seen recommended against two in one cage. And if someone suggested it was doable said so only under certain circumstances. Juveniles have a better chance of cohabitation. Two males don’t do well together. They should be similar sizes so one doesn’t get dominated. Of course the bigger the tank the better. It was also suggested to monitor them constantly for signs that aren’t getting along or be too stressed. For me being a first time owner I decided to get used to caring for one right now so I can give it the best life possible. I think Jacob gave good advice. As they grow they will keep definitely need more space so most likely separate cages. Keep an eye on their health. And be prepared to separate them if the start doing poorly.

Venow

Hatchling Dragon
they both are very young 2 .months and 3 months ruffly I plan on getting another setup like they are in now and each will have one or I might build one.. I. really hoping one is Male and one is female that would be cool

Gerald Smith

Hatchling Dragon
if that big why does no one sell a 60gal or bigger tank for bearded dragons
Everything I read (and I always say this so people understand that I’m not pretending to be an expert but I have done a lot of reading) says the absolute min for a adult is a 40gal tank but some suggest to go a bigger to make sure they have plenty of room and of course some beardies may be above average size. But beyond a looking at gallons check the length and width. There are 36” and 48” inch 40gal tanks. 36” tanks are taller. The longer one is the best option because they don’t need much vertical space since they are ground dwellers. It’s my understanding that they reach full size at 18mos-2yrs. So I’m sure you’re enclosure will be adequate for awhile. My best guess is that the demand for larger tanks isn’t high enough? I’ve seen some sites the build custom cages and I’ve watched one DIY build on YouTube but I don’t know if I have those skills. My beardie is still a juvenile and he’s in s 40 gal 36” tank. I will keep an eye out for something a bit bigger as he grows. I would have gone bigger but like you I couldn’t find many larger and for a good price.

Squishy

Bearded Dragon Egg
Housing a beardie in 40gal is fine, they are not super active I have my 3 dragons 2 are in a 40b which is a little deeper than a standard 40 but shorter it gives them more sq ft to run around in and they seem to enjoy their enclosures just fine I take them bi-weekly to the pool(bathtub) let them do their laps give them a good cleaning clean their tanks at this time and they seem pretty content- I kept 2 of them while juvenile in the same 40b with a divider I ordered from a fish tank supply that suctioncupped to the walls which did a good job just recently had to separate them as the older one starter getting stressed and now they they are both happy. My male is almost 2 he is a standard, older female is a hypo red leather back at 1.5yr and my other female is an orange glow at 1.25 yr.. Good luck with your new dragon...

Alex Greene

Bearded Dragon Egg
If they are female keep together for good but is both males separate asap if male and female keep together for 4 months now longer then 4 months

HaggridTheBearded

Hatchling Dragon
if that big why does no one sell a 60gal or bigger tank for bearded dragons
Probably because they are big, so they take up a lot of space,they are relatively expensive, depending on the style they are likely to be quite heavy so all in all not worth the hassle would be my guess why they are not readily available in "pet stores". I have seen some at reptile stores and also at other specialty pet stores that have reptiles available.

They sure look cute Venow! Since they look like they are similar size, as long as both are able to get adequate basking time, both able to eat as they should and neither seems stressed then you are probably OK for a little while. Personally though I'd probably separate them as soon as is feasible. But that is just my take. It is my understanding since they are solitary animals by nature there is no benefit, at all, other than saving money on equipment and space, to house them together.

Also if you have tanks near each other they typically do best if they cannot see each other. So sides that face each other should be opaque or have some sort of covering.

Jacob melanistic

Juvenile Dragon
take a folded peice of white paper and put it on the outside of the sides and back of the tank, leaving the front uncovered. you can even decorate the paper and draw your own forest!

Venow

Hatchling Dragon
I am 70% sure Ziggy "bigger one" is a male I am unsure of Twitch as I think twitch is only 2 months old if that Twitch is only 6 inches if that Ziggy on the other hand is almost 7 1/2 inches long

Latest posts