• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

2 babies

Divine4

Bearded Dragon Egg
We purchased 2 baby bearded dragons for my kids birthday on Oct 25th from Petsmart. There was a very dark blackish dragon my son fell in love with. I felt he may have been sick because I had not seen one that color before.. 3 days ago he stopped eating much, 1 or 2 crickets 2 x a day. He was making a popping noise occasionally. Leading me to think uri, but I raised the temp a bit and he stopped the noise, but went into full shed, he has not ate anything in 2 days. Is not opening eyes, moves occasionally. Is very thin.

The other one was eating normal until today. I checked on him before bed and he seems dead. Not moving. No apparent breathing.

We have them both in a 50 gal low boy. 4 ft x 2 ft x 10inches. T5 repti sun fluorescent bulb in a reflected light hood on top of the screen (10 inches is not very far) thought inside tank it would be to close. 2 che that are on 24/7, 2 basking spots with 75 w repti sun bulbs, temp measured with probe thermostat at 108 to 112. Mid tank 95 measured with digital thermometer, hygrometer 21% during day 45% at night. Cool side 83 during the day measured with another probe thermometer, 75 at night. Tile floors, did make 2 small caves on each end with excavator dirt. Feeding fresh shredded collard greens, crickets and dubai roaches. Started bathing the one shedding, the last 2 days in warm water 5 to 15 minutes. Dusting with calcium d3 4 times a week.

If the one is officially passed in the morning do I take him back to petsmart for a replacement? Take both back, get a refund and buy online? Take the dead one back for a refund and hope the other survives.

I'm afraid both are going to be dead, my kids will be heartbroken.

Vic and Mars

Juvenile Dragon
Don't cohab please. See a vet, and don't do anything with the still one yet until you can confirm it's dead. I don't know petsmart's return policies. Is the light a strip light? Mwke sure they get regular calcium for the rest of the week

Vic and Mars

Juvenile Dragon
Don't cohab please. See a vet, and don't do anything with the still one yet until you can confirm it's dead. I don't know petsmart's return policies. Is the light a strip light? d3 no more than 3x a week. And the rest of the week you can do a bit of regular calcium
Also zero loose substrate in the tank while they're still juveniles

Divine4

Bearded Dragon Egg
Don't cohab please. See a vet, and don't do anything with the still one yet until you can confirm it's dead. I don't know petsmart's return policies. Is the light a strip light? Mwke sure they get regular calcium for the rest of the week
It is a strip light. 36 inch long sun blaster. 60 day return policy. He hasn't moved. Lights aren't on yet so I have not disturbed him.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
We purchased 2 baby bearded dragons for my kids birthday on Oct 25th from Petsmart. There was a very dark blackish dragon my son fell in love with. I felt he may have been sick because I had not seen one that color before.. 3 days ago he stopped eating much, 1 or 2 crickets 2 x a day. He was making a popping noise occasionally. Leading me to think uri, but I raised the temp a bit and he stopped the noise, but went into full shed, he has not ate anything in 2 days. Is not opening eyes, moves occasionally. Is very thin.

The other one was eating normal until today. I checked on him before bed and he seems dead. Not moving. No apparent breathing.

We have them both in a 50 gal low boy. 4 ft x 2 ft x 10inches. T5 repti sun fluorescent bulb in a reflected light hood on top of the screen (10 inches is not very far) thought inside tank it would be to close. 2 che that are on 24/7, 2 basking spots with 75 w repti sun bulbs, temp measured with probe thermostat at 108 to 112. Mid tank 95 measured with digital thermometer, hygrometer 21% during day 45% at night. Cool side 83 during the day measured with another probe thermometer, 75 at night. Tile floors, did make 2 small caves on each end with excavator dirt. Feeding fresh shredded collard greens, crickets and dubai roaches. Started bathing the one shedding, the last 2 days in warm water 5 to 15 minutes. Dusting with calcium d3 4 times a week.

If the one is officially passed in the morning do I take him back to petsmart for a replacement? Take both back, get a refund and buy online? Take the dead one back for a refund and hope the other survives.

I am so sorry to hear this -- it is hard to say what is the cause but for both to be acting like this I would say its some thing contagious--- and I dont know what -- you need to try and keep the other one warm under the basking light temps 105-110 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer --- I would get him directly under those lights UVB if its a T 5 the height is too strong for a tank that is 10 inches high----- you need to get that strip light up unobstructed to about 12-15 inches -- set it on something that raises the height--------- keep him hydrated drop water on the nose or syringe feed him --- but do it VERY SLOWLY you do not want him to aspirate feed a little at a time and let him swallow what you put in --- he needs to be kept warm over night to around 80 you only need one CHE --- you have a good set up going w the correct lighting but the UVB is too strong like I said for that height of the tank --- I am not sure about taking him back to Petsmart but I would definitely call them and let them know -- if the two came from the same clutch I am thinking the whole clutch is infected and they need to be aware of this so they can disinfect the tanks and pull them from the viewing area -- this is a bad thing about Pet Smart and Petco they buy from breeders that dont care what happens w/ the dragons and the breeding is not real good --- its just a shame --- also I am going to be blunt here but dragons are NOT a childs pet -- they are too complex and require alot of care here that kids cannot really do -- even us adults have a hard time at times taking care of them --- you have your set up for them really good as far as the basking temps how to get them and UVB but it sounds like you purchased some sick babies --- AND PLEASE ONLY ONE AT A TIME --- dragons are territorial should NEVER be kept together --- males will fight till they kill one another females will become dominant over the other and male/ female the male will want to breed constantly stressing the female out -- and they should NEVER see each other --- please let me know whats going on w/them and I can try and help you as best as I can w/ them -- I am confused the dragons are almost a year old? Oct 25th from last year ? You said babies and then looked at the date so it confused me -- the dragons are almost a year old?

Rusty

Juvenile Dragon

I'm so sorry to hear this about your dragons,
But please don't return this poor dragon to pet smart,! These are pets and live animals, it may be hard for your kids, but rather you teach them compassion and love over, just go get new, these are lessons, and this little dragon needs you,
Good luck much love, no judgment :)

Divine4

Bearded Dragon Egg
I am so sorry to hear this -- it is hard to say what is the cause but for both to be acting like this I would say its some thing contagious--- and I dont know what -- you need to try and keep the other one warm under the basking light temps 105-110 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer --- I would get him directly under those lights UVB if its a T 5 the height is too strong for a tank that is 10 inches high----- you need to get that strip light up unobstructed to about 12-15 inches -- set it on something that raises the height--------- keep him hydrated drop water on the nose or syringe feed him --- but do it VERY SLOWLY you do not want him to aspirate feed a little at a time and let him swallow what you put in --- he needs to be kept warm over night to around 80 you only need one CHE --- you have a good set up going w the correct lighting but the UVB is too strong like I said for that height of the tank --- I am not sure about taking him back to Petsmart but I would definitely call them and let them know -- if the two came from the same clutch I am thinking the whole clutch is infected and they need to be aware of this so they can disinfect the tanks and pull them from the viewing area -- this is a bad thing about Pet Smart and Petco they buy from breeders that dont care what happens w/ the dragons and the breeding is not real good --- its just a shame --- also I am going to be blunt here but dragons are NOT a childs pet -- they are too complex and require alot of care here that kids cannot really do -- even us adults have a hard time at times taking care of them --- you have your set up for them really good as far as the basking temps how to get them and UVB but it sounds like you purchased some sick babies --- AND PLEASE ONLY ONE AT A TIME --- dragons are territorial should NEVER be kept together --- males will fight till they kill one another females will become dominant over the other and male/ female the male will want to breed constantly stressing the female out -- and they should NEVER see each other --- please let me know whats going on w/them and I can try and help you as best as I can w/ them -- I am confused the dragons are almost a year old? Oct 25th from last year ? You said babies and then looked at the date so it confused me -- the dragons are almost a year old?
The t5 is suspended. I can raise it. I am the one caring for them. I feed them 3 times.a day,, the boys watch and the.lights are on timers. The boys hold them for 5 to 10 minutes after school, but not in the last in the last 4 days. I felt they were not doing well. Sorry, purchased from petco not petsmart on Sept 25. I called them and then took both dragons there. The one baby passed during the night. The salesperson says there was nothing we could have done. He thinks the other is starting early brummation and kept him. He said it would be closely monitored and they are going to call if/when he is better. They have an attached vet clinic. I looked at their setups more closely while there and they hand white sand substrate. Several beards looked lethargic and were laying flat on the bottom. It seemed odd.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The t5 is suspended. I can raise it. I am the one caring for them. I feed them 3 times.a day,, the boys watch and the.lights are on timers. The boys hold them for 5 to 10 minutes after school, but not in the last in the last 4 days. I felt they were not doing well. Sorry, purchased from petco not petsmart on Sept 25. I called them and then took both dragons there. The one baby passed during the night. The salesperson says there was nothing we could have done. He thinks the other is starting early brummation and kept him. He said it would be closely monitored and they are going to call if/when he is better. They have an attached vet clinic. I looked at their setups more closely while there and they hand white sand substrate. Several beards looked lethargic and were laying flat on the bottom. It seemed odd.
They should not be on sand and that is not a good sign ---- I would of never left him there - my guess is they will put him in the back and let him die -- :( ---- they do not brumate as babies earliest they would brumate is at a year and then they would haft to be of good size and weight -- if you can I would go back and get him and nurse him to health on your own --- I can help you do that but I am afraid w/ him being at Petco they wont do anything to help the one surviving ----- I am sorry about the other one -- so they are around 4 months old I am guessing ? is that correct ? Pet stores usually sell them around 2-3 months

Divine4

Bearded Dragon Egg
They should not be on sand and that is not a good sign ---- I would of never left him there - my guess is they will put him in the back and let him die -- :( ---- they do not brumate as babies earliest they would brumate is at a year and then they would haft to be of good size and weight -- if you can I would go back and get him and nurse him to health on your own --- I can help you do that but I am afraid w/ him being at Petco they wont do anything to help the one surviving ----- I am sorry about the other one -- so they are around 4 months old I am guessing ? is that correct ? Pet stores usually sell them around 2-3 months
They said they were not sure on the age when I purchased them. I should never have bought them there. Im sure they weren't more than a month after searching the internet, they are only about 4 inches long.The guy said when he took him to the back he ate 3 crickets. When he told me that I said maybe I should just take him home then. The guy said oh no we will monitor him and call in 3 days or so. At this point I cried and left. My husband said he had to be lieing because I tried hand feeding him and he wouldn't even open his eyes or mouth.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
They said they were not sure on the age when I purchased them. I should never have bought them there. Im sure they weren't more than a month after searching the internet, they are only about 4 inches long.The guy said when he took him to the back he ate 3 crickets. When he told me that I said maybe I should just take him home then. The guy said oh no we will monitor him and call in 3 days or so. At this point I cried and left. My husband said he had to be lieing because I tried hand feeding him and he wouldn't even open his eyes or mouth.
Yep -- please don't expect the dragon to live- they will let him die -- too much trouble in nursing them back to health- in the meantime please get your tank sanitized w/ some F10 found on Walmarts website or some rescue or Zoo Med's Wipeout- sanitize everything in that tank - that way if your dragon does come back whatever caused the issue will be gone- or if and when you want to try again the tank will be ready- I can help you get it set up w/ the proper distance for uvb etc--

Divine4

Bearded Dragon Egg
Yep -- please don't expect the dragon to live- they will let him die -- too much trouble in nursing them back to health- in the meantime please get your tank sanitized w/ some F10 found on Walmarts website or some rescue or Zoo Med's Wipeout- sanitize everything in that tank - that way if your dragon does come back whatever caused the issue will be gone- or if and when you want to try again the tank will be ready- I can help you get it set up w/ the proper distance for uvb etc--
Ok! Thank you, I definitely will be sanitizing everything.

Divine4

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok! Thank you, I definitely will be sanitizing everything.
What/ how do I clean the acrylic accessories (skull and bones) and the sisal hammock? I have a steamer. Sanitized the tank. Should I use the f10 on those or boil them with the basking rocks?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
What/ how do I clean the acrylic accessories (skull and bones) and the sisal hammock? I have a steamer. Sanitized the tank. Should I use the f10 on those or boil them with the basking rocks?
This is what I found on line for the hammock I have never heard of them

How do you wash it?​

You should wash it only if it is strictly necessary. Because of the diamond design weaving it is not easy that your hammock gets dirty.

If you want to wash your hammock please check the picture attached.

Soak only the body of the hammock in a bucket with cold water and mild soap, leaving arms in the outside. Squeeze it with your hands with care, and leave soaked for 30 minutes. Rinse thoroughly. Hang it to dry. A cotton hammock will shrink right after washing it but it returns to normal size when in use again.
I am not sure that is going to kill what was in the tank if anything --- let me see if I can find someone who might know how to clean that --

You can steam clean the skull and bones or use the F 10 -- I have resin decor in my tank and I spray it w/ the F 10 -- let it sit for 10 minutes then rinse let dry

Divine4

Bearded Dragon Egg
This is what I found on line for the hammock I have never heard of them

How do you wash it?​

You should wash it only if it is strictly necessary. Because of the diamond design weaving it is not easy that your hammock gets dirty.

If you want to wash your hammock please check the picture attached.

Soak only the body of the hammock in a bucket with cold water and mild soap, leaving arms in the outside. Squeeze it with your hands with care, and leave soaked for 30 minutes. Rinse thoroughly. Hang it to dry. A cotton hammock will shrink right after washing it but it returns to normal size when in use again.
I am not sure that is going to kill what was in the tank if anything --- let me see if I can find someone who might know how to clean that --

You can steam clean the skull and bones or use the F 10 -- I have resin decor in my tank and I spray it w/ the F 10 -- let it sit for 10 minutes then rinse let dry

Divine4

Bearded Dragon Egg
It's seagrass. I'm going to just toss it and buy another. I might see what steam does to it. I don't like the idea of cleaner sitting on it.‍♀️

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It's seagrass. I'm going to just toss it and buy another. I might see what steam does to it. I don't like the idea of cleaner sitting on it.‍♀️
Ok I am gonna check and see anway -- the seagrass probably wont hold up -- I would get a fleece or cotton one - seagrass might snag the nails --- we have a lot of people using those green mesh ones or ones that are knotted ones and claws get stuck in them -- check out www.pamperedbeardies.com

Divine4

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok I am gonna check and see anway -- the seagrass probably wont hold up -- I would get a fleece or cotton one - seagrass might snag the nails --- we have a lot of people using those green mesh ones or ones that are knotted ones and claws get stuck in them -- check out www.pamperedbeardies.com
Ok a fleece one should be easy, cheap and washable! The t5 light in the sun blaster...the tank is 9 inches. The light is above the screen I can raise it to any height, but I can't remove the screen without trying to to enclose the light. Is that a problem?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ok a fleece one should be easy, cheap and washable! The t5 light in the sun blaster...the tank is 9 inches. The light is above the screen I can raise it to any height, but I can't remove the screen without trying to to enclose the light. Is that a problem?
Your tank is 9 inches tall ??? That is a problem --- distance for a T 5 is 12-15 inches but w/ no obstruction -- what kind of screen is on the tank? fine mesh or a wide hole type

Latest posts