• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

1st time beardie owner ! Need help with sleeping habit

Felixthebeardie

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello! Hey guys . Ive recently purchased a beardie from a friend . I dont know his age. He is not a baby baby but you can tell hes not full grown either. Well he sleeps during the day and he’s up at night ? Is this normal? Not sure took him to the vet and they said he looks healthy and his weight was good. I forgot to bring up his sleeping habit. Also when i take him out and hold him he literally goes to sleep like sleep sleep. Does that mean he likes me or he wasnt doing that before he would jus squirm outta my hands. Like i said its been a month so far. He makes me nervous jus keep going to sleep like that im a hypochondriac and immediately think hes sick

Attachments

• BC28844C-42FD-4B92-86B9-4652805320B6.jpeg
    BC28844C-42FD-4B92-86B9-4652805320B6.jpeg
    446.5 KB · Views: 4
  • CB1FD09B-8277-4B5A-AEE5-26EA00AC66A4.jpeg
    CB1FD09B-8277-4B5A-AEE5-26EA00AC66A4.jpeg
    958.2 KB · Views: 5

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hello! Hey guys . Ive recently purchased a beardie from a friend . I dont know his age. He is not a baby baby but you can tell hes not full grown either. Well he sleeps during the day and he’s up at night ? Is this normal? Not sure took him to the vet and they said he looks healthy and his weight was good. I forgot to bring up his sleeping habit. Also when i take him out and hold him he literally goes to sleep like sleep sleep. Does that mean he likes me or he wasnt doing that before he would jus squirm outta my hands. Like i said its been a month so far. He makes me nervous jus keep going to sleep like that im a hypochondriac and immediately think hes sick
Sleeping on you means he is comfortable w/ you and that is good- up at night is not- I am going to post what you should be using for lighting- a good CLEAR bright white basking bulb that keeps temps 95-100 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer- you want surface temps probe placed on the spot where he basks 10 min or so-- a long tube fixture for a 40 gallon tank- examples 24" Zoo Med w/a 22" reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb or a Arcadia pro T 5 12% bulb-- photo period should be 12hrs on 12hrs off- there should be NO colored bulbs No off white or yellowish bulbs No day time bulbs++ they have a coating on them that hurts the eyes -- if you have any of these get rid of them- basking bulb examples are Exo Terra intense basking bulb or Zoo Med reptibasking bulb-- please ask questions if you need more info

Felixthebeardie

Bearded Dragon Egg
Sleeping on you means he is comfortable w/ you and that is good- up at night is not- I am going to post what you should be using for lighting- a good CLEAR bright white basking bulb that keeps temps 95-100 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer- you want surface temps probe placed on the spot where he basks 10 min or so-- a long tube fixture for a 40 gallon tank- examples 24" Zoo Med w/a 22" reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb or a Arcadia pro T 5 12% bulb-- photo period should be 12hrs on 12hrs off- there should be NO colored bulbs No off white or yellowish bulbs No day time bulbs++ they have a coating on them that hurts the eyes -- if you have any of these get rid of them- basking bulb examples are Exo Terra intense basking bulb or Zoo Med reptibasking bulb-- please ask questions if you need more info
Omgeeeee thanks so much for your response im going to post the bulbs he has in his cage
Its two different lights right next to each other
In his basking it fluctuates between 90-94

Attachments

• 23EE6F07-98F1-4B7D-B77A-340502642A29.jpeg
    23EE6F07-98F1-4B7D-B77A-340502642A29.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 3
  • 61298F43-3200-4830-9CDB-975673B77BC9.jpeg
    61298F43-3200-4830-9CDB-975673B77BC9.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 3

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Omgeeeee thanks so much for your response im going to post the bulbs he has in his cage
Its two different lights right next to each other
In his basking it fluctuates between 90-94
Get rid of the coil uvb please keep the intense baskingbulb-- you want basking temps 95-100 and taken w/ a digital probe thermometer-- please get one if the uvb's I posted above ASAP- if you need help w/ links to the uvb let me know I will post them

Felixthebeardie

Bearded Dragon Egg
Get rid of the coil uvb please keep the intense baskingbulb-- you want basking temps 95-100 and taken w/ a digital probe thermometer-- please get one if the uvb's I posted above ASAP- if you need help w/ links to the uvb let me know I will post them
Yes i need help
Because im not seeing the links you posted for some reason

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yes i need help
Because im not seeing the links you posted for some reason
I didnt post them thats why LOL -- here they are
for a 40+ gallon tank get one of these
24" https://www.pangeareptile.com/colle...o-med-reptisun-t5-hood?variant=26907425734756 comes w/ a 5.0 bulb keep it for a back up distance and placement is different from the one you need which is this 22" https://www.pangeareptile.com/colle...d-reptisun-10-0-uvb-t5?variant=26907418591332
or this one
24" https://www.pangeareptile.com/collections/t5-lighting/products/arcadia-prot5-12-uvb-bulb-with-hood
2 digital probe thermometers https://www.pangeareptile.com/colle...rometers/products/zoo-med-digital-thermometer
need more help please ask

Badwolfe

Hatchling Dragon
Your Beardie needs a period of darkness at night to simulate a natural photo period.

Best options are either turn off the basking bulb and uvb and just use a ceramic heat emitter at night on a seperate thromstat to make sure the temp doesn't drop below 65f or swap out the basking bulb for a deep heat projector on a thermostat with day / night setting capabilities and just turn off the UVB.

Either way will allow your beardie to be maintained at the correct temperatures whilst maintaining a proper day / night cycle