• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

1st clutch, just dug them up and placed them in incubator

KellyRose

Bearded Dragon Egg
I did NOT candle the eggs. I also did not mark where the embryo is. I only put them in the incubator 3 hours ago. Should I open it up to do this candling process? Or leave them as they are?

Note: Excuse me for being not completely prepared. She is a "rescue" beardie and it was told to me when she was dropped off that she is likely pregnant as she likely mated with a male before finding her way to me. So this is my first go with this and I have been learning everything I can in the past couple weeks.

THANK YOU! :)

attached is the first 17 eggs put in the vermiculite/water mixture. Then I put a lid on the container and put it in the incubator. 86 deg F, and 70% humidity. Working on getting humidity to 75%, and keeping temp at 85

Attachments

• 20240416_151226.jpg
    20240416_151226.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 6

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I did NOT candle the eggs. I also did not mark where the embryo is. I only put them in the incubator 3 hours ago. Should I open it up to do this candling process? Or leave them as they are?

Note: Excuse me for being not completely prepared. She is a "rescue" beardie and it was told to me when she was dropped off that she is likely pregnant as she likely mated with a male before finding her way to me. So this is my first go with this and I have been learning everything I can in the past couple weeks.

THANK YOU! :)

attached is the first 17 eggs put in the vermiculite/water mixture. Then I put a lid on the container and put it in the incubator. 86 deg F, and 70% humidity. Working on getting humidity to 75%, and keeping temp at 85
Let me reach out to someone who can help you

KellyRose

Bearded Dragon Egg
Let me reach out to someone who can help you
Thank you :)
I have an appointment Friday with the exotics vet that I go to, just to make sure the female is doing ok. The egg part seems so delicate to me. Partially beause it is, partially because I have never done this. So thank you for any help.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thank you :)
I have an appointment Friday with the exotics vet that I go to, just to make sure the female is doing ok. The egg part seems so delicate to me. Partially beause it is, partially because I have never done this. So thank you for any help.
Bearded Dragon .org

Conversations
1st clutch
ParticipantsKarrieReeAHBD Start dateToday at 5:27 PM
Edit
Star
Mark unread
Leave
KarrieRee
BD.org Sicko
Today at 5:27 PM
ReplyReport
AHBD
BD.org Sicko
Today at 5:51 PM
They look good, don't bother candling them you have plenty of tiime, there's no rush. You can wait an entire month and then just hold a small pen light close to each one in a very dark room. Make sure that condensation doesn't form inside the lid and drip down on the eggs, in rare occasions that can smother an egg. And if the substrate gets too dry and eggs start denting in you can add etra water around each egg carefully with a pipette or eye dropper.

Write your reply...

KellyRose

Bearded Dragon Egg
Bearded Dragon .org

Conversations
1st clutch
ParticipantsKarrieReeAHBD Start dateToday at 5:27 PM
Edit
Star
Mark unread
Leave
KarrieRee
BD.org Sicko
Today at 5:27 PM
ReplyReport
AHBD
BD.org Sicko
Today at 5:51 PM
They look good, don't bother candling them you have plenty of tiime, there's no rush. You can wait an entire month and then just hold a small pen light close to each one in a very dark room. Make sure that condensation doesn't form inside the lid and drip down on the eggs, in rare occasions that can smother an egg. And if the substrate gets too dry and eggs start denting in you can add etra water around each egg carefully with a pipette or eye dropper.

Write your reply...
Thank you, that is very helpful. I will do as you said and will be checking regularly for condensation.
:):)

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
She has said this as well
You can mention that the eggs will develop a network of tiny veins that will be easy to see in a few weeks when they are candled in a dark room, that is what shows they are fertile. As long as none of them get moldy or obviously oozing or smelly [ which is very unlikely ]. They should also grow a little bigger as they develop.

KellyRose

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thanks again, Sadie :)
I am not sure if it is you, or someone else who helped me a few years ago, but if it weren't for this forum my little dragon friend might have died:
I "adopted" Francis, a male bearded dragon from a Youth Center that was closing down. No one wanted him (*sniff*), and he had lived in a small fish tank with an infrared bulb on 24/7. Honestly not sure how he survived as long as he did.
I brought him home knowing nothing about bearded dragons, and started learning as much as possible. In doing so, I quickly learned he had been improperly cared for, and brought him to a vet. He had pneumonia, and only had about 20% of one of his lungs still working.
I dropper-fed him medicine/food/water for the next 6 weeks, and now, 3 years later, he is a healthy little guy that brings me joy daily.
Due to all this, I acquired another unwanted Beardie (The female that led me to post about the eggs).
I want to help spread proper awareness about these sweet little Dragons. I feel conflicted about having these eggs that will (fingers crossed) hatch and be healthy in the next 40-90 days.
Any information on responsible breeding? I do not want to be a breeder... I just want to do the right thing with the 20 or so little dragons that are likely in my future.
Thank you, and feel free to not respond if this is not in your wheelhouse. I will be looking into this plenty and asking many people in the next few weeks.
Thanks for all the good work you do!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thanks again, Sadie :)
I am not sure if it is you, or someone else who helped me a few years ago, but if it weren't for this forum my little dragon friend might have died:
I "adopted" Francis, a male bearded dragon from a Youth Center that was closing down. No one wanted him (*sniff*), and he had lived in a small fish tank with an infrared bulb on 24/7. Honestly not sure how he survived as long as he did.
I brought him home knowing nothing about bearded dragons, and started learning as much as possible. In doing so, I quickly learned he had been improperly cared for, and brought him to a vet. He had pneumonia, and only had about 20% of one of his lungs still working.
I dropper-fed him medicine/food/water for the next 6 weeks, and now, 3 years later, he is a healthy little guy that brings me joy daily.
Due to all this, I acquired another unwanted Beardie (The female that led me to post about the eggs).
I want to help spread proper awareness about these sweet little Dragons. I feel conflicted about having these eggs that will (fingers crossed) hatch and be healthy in the next 40-90 days.
Any information on responsible breeding? I do not want to be a breeder... I just want to do the right thing with the 20 or so little dragons that are likely in my future.
Thank you, and feel free to not respond if this is not in your wheelhouse. I will be looking into this plenty and asking many people in the next few weeks.
Thanks for all the good work you do!
I can have the person that I reached out to you help you-- she has bred many dragons and knows way more on this subject than I

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I can have the person that I reached out to you help you-- she has bred many dragons and knows way more on this subject than I
Heres some more help for you
First of all be ready for her to possibly lay from 2-6 more clutches [ that's average.] every 3 weeks because they can lay multiple clutches from 1 mating. Decide now if you want to keep those as well because it will be overwhelming. You can always do away with extra eggs as soon as they're laid by putting them in double plastic bags with some water, that kills them right away. So anyway when the little buggers hatch they mostly don't eat for the first 2-4 days but you'll need to have a huge amount , about 2,000 of 1/8" crickets. The crix will also need a large plastic tote to be kept in and you can then ask how to set up + feed them.

The babies can be kept several to a bin so you'll need uvb and heat bulbs for each tote. Once they start eating you'll need to feed them twice a day to start but may need to increase to 3X a day to keep any hungry ones from nipping tails + toes. Keep a small paper plate or flat white plate with finely chopped greens, they should start eating that right away. Using a flat plate allows the babies to see the greens all the time. Sometimes dropping the shredded greens so the babies see it will attract them to the greens .

It's good to spray them once a day so they see the water drops roll down the sides on the tote. If you gather some non sap, non pine branches, pop them in your oven for 45 minutes to kill any little bugs you can use those for the babies to bask, prop the sticks up on egg cartons or other short boxes or something. Babies love to climb and with sticks they can spread out. Of course you can also use the store bought basking platforms but skip hammocks, they don't retain heat and they snag nails, plus they don't offer support . That;s just a few suggestions.

Latest posts