• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

new bearded dragon

bish109

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
lady their and pet store not petsmart or petco said its not good for baby juviniles are fine but some will just eat it tho he dosent i watch him when he eats when he misses he dosent stick his tounge out he know when hes close enough to stick his toung out like the crickets might have some sand but thats normal as long as their not eating it and the lady at the pet store also said its digestable in smaller amounts

richard

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
i would never use vita sand. why would you try to fortify some thing that your dragon shouldnt be eating in the first place. sand is harmful to dragons and i never recommend it. sure it looks pretty but one vet bill for an impacted dragon will change your mind. not to mention that when a dragon poops, the liquid urate is absorbed by the sand where it sits and grows bacteria until it is removed and when it dries in the sand, the sand turns into "concrete"! paper towels are the safest substrate. when feeding juvies you should be watching them feed and the removing unwanted crickets when they are finished. crickets are mean and can injure baby dragons or cause stress and cause a dragon to not want to eat. i could go on for hours. i will be in columbia june 18th and 19h at the repticon show workin with Carolina Designer Dragons.

bish109

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
well if a bearded dragon lives in a desert were their is sand how can it be stupid enough to eat it unless it thirsty looking for water

richard

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
your beardie doesnt live in the desert. its captive bred. most reputable breaders dont use sand for the reasons i stated earlier. beardies in the wild live 3 to 5 years. your captive bred animal with proper diet and vet care should live 7 to 10 years or more. i personally have 12 dragons (not breeders) my largestis 953 grams and my oldest is about 7 right now. you can do what you want. im just trying to save you headache and vet bills.

richard

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
by the way, my first dragon came from a pet store. i listened to the idiots at that pet store. 3 months and several hundred dollars in vet bills later, it died. i learned the hard way.

Bill

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
well if a bearded dragon lives in a desert were their is sand how can it be stupid enough to eat it unless it thirsty looking for water
Actually they live where its more of a hard packed dirt

Bill

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
your beardie doesnt live in the desert. its captive bred. most reputable breaders dont use sand for the reasons i stated earlier. beardies in the wild live 3 to 5 years. your captive bred animal with proper diet and vet care should live 7 to 10 years or more. i personally have 12 dragons (not breeders) my largestis 953 grams and my oldest is about 7 right now. you can do what you want. im just trying to save you headache and vet bills.
WOW 953 grams thats a monster please post a picture

Jp

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
You are getting very good & accurate advice but it is ultimately up to you. If u use any sand as a substrate you SHOULD NOT feed your dragons inside their enclosure. It puts them at risk for impaction or possibly worse because silica based sands are GLASS & the inside of your dragon can get really F'd up. I would consider the 15 dollars a loss, you might end up spending more at the Vet.

Bill

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Fliehigh has a great picture of what can happen maybe he will post it

bish109

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
well than we have a winner with a fix to tthis soulitoun bill, jeffo had the answer just dont feed him in his cage for now i have a little square plastive tote like 6 inches by 6 inches long hes jumpy little fella and when i have him where my cats are i have him in their so my cats dont see him and so he dosent get scared of them lol my cats are all mean my room is a no cat zone now lol anyways i wont be feeding him in his cage anymore and leave the sand in their

Bill

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
you are really learning alot good job

Jp

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
In your research you should be starting to notice that what 1 says, contradicts another. There has been a gradual & progressive change in how Bearded Dragons should be raised & 9 times out of 10 a breeder/collector is going to know better than any Big Name Company or Pet Store. Keep asking questions & checking out the forums, you & your Beardie will be cool.

tdharris70

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
In your research you should be starting to notice that what 1 says, contradicts another. There has been a gradual & progressive change in how Bearded Dragons should be raised & 9 times out of 10 a breeder/collector is going to know better than any Big Name Company or Pet Store. Keep asking questions & checking out the forums, you & your Beardie will be cool.

Agree with this post..... :)

bish109

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
well im up to over 300 dollars i dont want him to die now do i? lol and i would like a big reptile companion lol but easy say easy go ill just get some repti-carpet this one lady i met uses rabbit pellets for bedding i laughed inside my head for a sec i thought ill stick to the carpet

bish109

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member

well i have ashburger i think thats how you spell it so many people telling me things is whats screwing with my head lol too many suggestions so im picking just correct me if im screwing up i want him to be healthy and him being unhappy would make me unhappy :)

Jp

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Don't let it screw with your head, there is nothing wrong with knowing what ''not to do.''

Latest posts