• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Where should I feed my Beardie?

Jordan7265

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hey guys I recently got a juvenile Bearded Dragon about 3 months old. I also have had a ball python for 5 years. When I feed my python I remove him from cage and feed in a storage tote. Now with the bearded dragon I have reptisoil and sand mixed in a 40 gallon tank. See picture. Now I have had times feeding him in tank he won’t eat all his crickets and I’m worried they will bite him while he’s sleeping if he doesn’t eat them. I was also worried about feeding him in the tank due to him eating soil/sand and the crickets have tons of places to hide so removing them will be 10x harder. So I thought maybe I should get a shallow storage tote and feed him in there however, I don’t know what to do and need help. P.S. I did have carpet in there but I hate the carpet and wanted to switch it up.

Attachments

• IMG_3139.jpeg
    5.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3107.jpeg
    IMG_3107.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hey guys I recently got a juvenile Bearded Dragon about 3 months old. I also have had a ball python for 5 years. When I feed my python I remove him from cage and feed in a storage tote. Now with the bearded dragon I have reptisoil and sand mixed in a 40 gallon tank. See picture. Now I have had times feeding him in tank he won’t eat all his crickets and I’m worried they will bite him while he’s sleeping if he doesn’t eat them. I was also worried about feeding him in the tank due to him eating soil/sand and the crickets have tons of places to hide so removing them will be 10x harder. So I thought maybe I should get a shallow storage tote and feed him in there however, I don’t know what to do and need help. P.S. I did have carpet in there but I hate the carpet and wanted to switch it up.
Please feed him in a separate enclosure - like a tote- babies lick everything so we don't recommend loose substrate till they are older - you can use some textured non adhesive shelf liner cut to the size of the tank

BettaFish

Bearded Dragon Egg
I would say, if you have sand (which is NOT reccomended) feed them in a food bowl. If you have something like a mat or newspaper, it is OK to not have a bowl. I have three bowls, one for water, one for greens, and one for mealworms and dubia roaches. I let my Beardie chase the crickets. ( I do not have aa Beardie yet, but am getting one very soon and have done a TON of research. When I say things like “I let my beardie chase the crickets” I mean I WILL let my beardie chase the crickets. )

Jordan7265

Bearded Dragon Egg
View attachment IMG_3153.jpeg

This is his new home it’s reptisoil mixed with sand breeder I knew recommended this combo however only thing that scares me about the crickets is if he chases them and eat the substrate. The roaches and greens he eats in food bowl but the crickets obviously won’t stay still. Also if there’s to many crickets he doesn’t eat them then they will bite him which worries me to. So in one hand I’m like do I feed the crickets to him in a tuber-ware or risk him eating the substrate ? I’m not trying to hand feed 15 crickets a day x 2 to my beardie lol

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
View attachment 35708

This is his new home it’s reptisoil mixed with sand breeder I knew recommended this combo however only thing that scares me about the crickets is if he chases them and eat the substrate. The roaches and greens he eats in food bowl but the crickets obviously won’t stay still. Also if there’s to many crickets he doesn’t eat them then they will bite him which worries me to. So in one hand I’m like do I feed the crickets to him in a tuber-ware or risk him eating the substrate ? I’m not trying to hand feed 15 crickets a day x 2 to my beardie lol
Stop the crickets all together -- your dubias are a much better staple feeder -- get him some BSFL www.symtonbsf.com they are a great staple feeder for babies - drop them on his salads around 20-25 of them - if he likes them he will gobble them up too fast so the smaller amount is better - that way they wont come out undigested use those and the dubias for your protein - he needs salads as well every day - make sure your dusting the dubias not the BSFL -- they are calcium enriched