• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What's wrong with my beardies mouth?

nikita_hman

Bearded Dragon Egg
So our bearded dragon Mushu has just turned one and in the last month or so we've noticed that he is ever so slightly holding his mouth open a lot as if he can't close it properly and also his mouth seems to be turning white all around it . My concern is , is this an early sign of MBD?
He has calcium dusted on his bugs every day
We have an arcadia T5 12% UVB light only around 4 months old and heat lamp. He is eating fine , still eats his greens and his bugs every day.
Has anyone got any advice on what the reason for this could be? And if a vet visit would be required. I've attached pictures of what it looks like
IMG_20230614_200858.jpg
IMG_20230614_201020.jpg

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
So our bearded dragon Mushu has just turned one and in the last month or so we've noticed that he is ever so slightly holding his mouth open a lot as if he can't close it properly and also his mouth seems to be turning white all around it . My concern is , is this an early sign of MBD?
He has calcium dusted on his bugs every day
We have an arcadia T5 12% UVB light only around 4 months old and heat lamp. He is eating fine , still eats his greens and his bugs every day.
Has anyone got any advice on what the reason for this could be? And if a vet visit would be required. I've attached pictures of what it looks like View attachment 34062View attachment 34063
They often sit like that mine do it too -- as far as the white hes getting ready to shed -- let him do his thing -- is the screen on the tank a fine mesh like a screen door or wide hole type? This will determine where your UVB needs to be

nikita_hman

Bearded Dragon Egg
They often sit like that mine do it too -- as far as the white hes getting ready to shed -- let him do his thing -- is the screen on the tank a fine mesh like a screen door or wide hole type? This will determine where your UVB needs to be
I have a 4x2x2 wooden enclosure with a closed top and sliding glass doors at the front . The breeder I bought my dragon off advised me to place the UVB across the back of the tank so it covers around 3/4 of the tank. He is always under the UVB due to where his basking spot is.

nikita_hman

Bearded Dragon Egg
Is it normal for them to do it all the time? He sits like that all the time and even when he's sleeping his mouth is slightly open like that like he just can't close it at all.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Is it normal for them to do it all the time? He sits like that all the time and even when he's sleeping his mouth is slightly open like that like he just can't close it at all.
It could be starting of MBD I can have someone else take a look at him -- and see what she says
let me get back w/ you

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have a 4x2x2 wooden enclosure with a closed top and sliding glass doors at the front . The breeder I bought my dragon off advised me to place the UVB across the back of the tank so it covers around 3/4 of the tank. He is always under the UVB due to where his basking spot is.
So the UVB is inside the tank -- distance should be 12-15 inches and its not good for them to HAFT to sit under it all the time- is there a place where he can go to get out from under it w/ out having to hide from the UVB -- I never recommend UVB's to cover all the tank -- that 1/4 of the tank is not very much -- I have a 4x2x2 tank and use a 24" fixture in both my tanks - so that is half the tank -- dragons know what light they need and will go to it --

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I heard back from the person I reached out to and she has said this
There is a slight underbite, so yes it is a very minor deformity. It's not always known if mbd is the reason. One of my dragons has a slight underbite and is a healthy, somewhat active 11 year old with a decent appetite.

nikita_hman

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thank you for reaching out to this person. Mushu still has lots of energy , no problem running around and climbing things and there's no weakness or strange gait when he runs. He still had a good appetite for his bugs and greens . If any other symptoms appear then I'll get him checked over but it could just be a deformity like they said . Thank you for your support it's much appreciated, you've eased my mind a lot, easy to over worry with these little ones haha .