• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Uvb bulb

dragonscales

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hello, I know to change the uvb bulb every 6 mo.
How come? What are the side effects of not changing the bulb? How does a uvb benefit the dragon?thanks much.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hello, I know to change the uvb bulb every 6 mo.
How come? What are the side effects of not changing the bulb? How does a uvb benefit the dragon?thanks much.
For a T 5 approx one year I recommend a month prior to and depending on the screen will determine placement and distance for the fixture-- for a T 8 it needs to be inside the tank w/ a distance of 6-8 inches and replacement every 6 months I recommend 5 --- your UVB is extremely important for the over all health and behavior of the dragon -- it help the dragon absorb the calcium it is ingesting - if you do not have a UVB your dragon will die a slow and painful death -- it prevents MBD which is a horrible disease -- please google it and look at the pictures
1648998283041.png

1648998314610.png

this is a dragon currently on another forum that is getting help from others on that board this is what happens to dragons when they do not have the proper UVB --- coils I DO NOT recommend they are inadequate for UVB rays -- the bulbs lose strength and need to be replaced -- even tho they are still working the rays are diminishing over time

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thanks much. Does a Uvb affect the dragons’ eating and sleeping patterns?
Yes -- he will not eat w/out uvb- he cannot absorb the calcium w/ out it and it has to be proper uvb and correctly pleased an distanced- a screen blocks 30 % of the rays

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hello again. I’ve been using THESE.
Just making sure. Are they okay?thanks.
Yes those are great bulb along w/ the Arcadia 12% -- best on the market at this time -- they will interchange w/ your fixture -- and they need to be properly placed for your screen -- and properly distanced -- if you need help w/ that please ask I will help you

dragonscales

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Yes those are great bulb along w/ the Arcadia 12% -- best on the market at this time -- they will interchange w/ your fixture -- and they need to be properly placed for your screen -- and properly distanced -- if you need help w/ that please ask I will help you
Thanks much.
For a T 5 approx one year I recommend a month prior to and depending on the screen will determine placement and distance for the fixture-- for a T 8 it needs to be inside the tank w/ a distance of 6-8 inches and replacement every 6 months I recommend 5 --- your UVB is extremely important for the over all health and behavior of the dragon -- it help the dragon absorb the calcium it is ingesting - if you do not have a UVB your dragon will die a slow and painful death -- it prevents MBD which is a horrible disease -- please google it and look at the pictures
View attachment 31839

View attachment 31840
this is a dragon currently on another forum that is getting help from others on that board this is what happens to dragons when they do not have the proper UVB --- coils I DO NOT recommend they are inadequate for UVB rays -- the bulbs lose strength and need to be replaced -- even tho they are still working the rays are diminishing over time
Here’s a pic of my beardie. Does she look healthy?

Attachments

• 891934C3-8E08-468F-9C19-111266232100.jpeg
    891934C3-8E08-468F-9C19-111266232100.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 11

dragonscales

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I was just checking out reptile.guide
They showed beardies with MBD. Its totally tragic and heartbreaking seeing them suffer from this horrific disease. I‘m not sure if I’ve ever even heard of MBD before. Definitely something to consider in caring for my beardie.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I was just checking out reptile.guide
They showed beardies with MBD. Its totally tragic and heartbreaking seeing them suffer from this horrific disease. I‘m not sure if I’ve ever even heard of MBD before. Definitely something to consider in caring for my beardie.
She looks good from the pic I can see of her -- as long as shes basking pooping active and eating she is good - if she stops eating becomes lethargic quits pooping and I mean stops they will go long periods of time w/ out pooping then there could be a problem -- ex impacted is a good example -- temps need to be kept good so she can start digestion and good UVB are what keeps dragons healthy along w/ a good diet - google MBD and you can read up more about it -- it effects dragons in different ways like deformed jaws - deformed spines feet legs etc -- pet store employees need to be trained on this stuff if they are going to sell these animals and they are not --- its rare you find one of those people working in a pet store --- most have not a clue as to what they are talking about -- like selling colored bulbs -- those are a big no no as the colored lights can cause long term eye damage -- it distorts their vision - dragons have better eye sight than we do so certain UVB and basking bulbs as well can mess w/ the eye sight

Latest posts