• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

UVA/UVB Lighting Confirmation

pnwnative

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi there! Im new. Ive recently rescued a Beardie from a family member who was not taking care of a female bearded that she impulse bought and over the weekend I have spent a stupid amount of money to try and get her the best set up I could In a short amount of time. The question is ultimately about proper UVA/UVB reqs but here is what I put her in and what I know.

Health: So far seems to be alright if a little underweight. Currently brumating but I think its because of poor heating
New Enclosure: Exo Terra: 36x18x24.
Nighttime Temp: 70F
Daytime Temp: ambient low 80s Basking Spot 99F
Has a 10.0 18 inch ZooMed UVB bulb and a 50W Powersun UV bulb and a 40W Daytime heat bulb on the basking spot

Im really not comfortable with so much wattage being pumped out on the UVB and heating as I spend large amounts of time away from the house with no one there, and am looking at trying to find efficient answers that also take good care of this girl that are SAFE to leave unattended for 16 hours a day. Its my understanding that Beardies want 20-140 uW/cm2 of UVB in their tank

The question is: Does this amount of UVA/UVB suffice for the beardie (its LED) (Im not asking about heating, I plan on getting her basking spot to 110F)
IDK Im allowed to post links but here it is: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B096BC18HH/ref=emc_b_5_t?th=1

UVB irradiance could be more than 500 uW/c㎡ and UVA irradiance could be more than 1200 uW/c㎡. Measured at 4 inch and below the center of the light source.

Do you think this is ok.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi there! Im new. Ive recently rescued a Beardie from a family member who was not taking care of a female bearded that she impulse bought and over the weekend I have spent a stupid amount of money to try and get her the best set up I could In a short amount of time. The question is ultimately about proper UVA/UVB reqs but here is what I put her in and what I know.

Health: So far seems to be alright if a little underweight. Currently brumating but I think its because of poor heating
New Enclosure: Exo Terra: 36x18x24.
Nighttime Temp: 70F
Daytime Temp: ambient low 80s Basking Spot 99F
Has a 10.0 18 inch ZooMed UVB bulb and a 50W Powersun UV bulb and a 40W Daytime heat bulb on the basking spot

Im really not comfortable with so much wattage being pumped out on the UVB and heating as I spend large amounts of time away from the house with no one there, and am looking at trying to find efficient answers that also take good care of this girl that are SAFE to leave unattended for 16 hours a day. Its my understanding that Beardies want 20-140 uW/cm2 of UVB in their tank

The question is: Does this amount of UVA/UVB suffice for the beardie (its LED) (Im not asking about heating, I plan on getting her basking spot to 110F)
IDK Im allowed to post links but here it is: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B096BC18HH/ref=emc_b_5_t?th=1

UVB irradiance could be more than 500 uW/c㎡ and UVA irradiance could be more than 1200 uW/c㎡. Measured at 4 inch and below the center of the light source.

Do you think this is ok.
Please get rid of the LED basking/ UVB from Amazon you provided ---- your UVB you have now is good but it needs to be inside the tank w/ no clear plastic cover over the bulb and directly above a piece of basking decor 6-8 inches -- the PowerSun is a good MVB and will provide good UVA for the dragon and its good you have the extra UVB as most times the MVB do not provide enough UVB so your good there if you need help w/ placing it in the tank please as but it MUST be unobstructed T8's are not strong enough to go thru the screen and replace the bulb in 6 months I recommend 5 - the MVB will expire w/ the UVB in about 6 months but you can use it for heat passed that --- once you get this all set up and watching your basking temps the dragon should be fine as long as he / she has a place to retreat to cool side of the tank 80"s as mentioned below

Please get rid of the day time bulb it has a coating on it that is not good for the dragons eyes they have a neodymium coating on them ---

https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/en...um-digital-thermometer-14914.html?cgid=500113 you want basking temps 95-100 most older dragons do not like temps over 100 --- you want the cool side 80's during the day and ambient temp in the 90's middle of the tank and basking surface 95-100 - place the probe on the spot where the dragon sits for basking get the temp after 10 min or so ---

pnwnative

Bearded Dragon Egg
Please get rid of the LED basking/ UVB from Amazon you provided ---- your UVB you have now is good but it needs to be inside the tank w/ no clear plastic cover over the bulb and directly above a piece of basking decor 6-8 inches -- the PowerSun is a good MVB and will provide good UVA for the dragon and its good you have the extra UVB as most times the MVB do not provide enough UVB so your good there if you need help w/ placing it in the tank please as but it MUST be unobstructed T8's are not strong enough to go thru the screen and replace the bulb in 6 months I recommend 5 - the MVB will expire w/ the UVB in about 6 months but you can use it for heat passed that --- once you get this all set up and watching your basking temps the dragon should be fine as long as he / she has a place to retreat to cool side of the tank 80"s as mentioned below

Please get rid of the day time bulb it has a coating on it that is not good for the dragons eyes they have a neodymium coating on them ---

https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/en...um-digital-thermometer-14914.html?cgid=500113 you want basking temps 95-100 most older dragons do not like temps over 100 --- you want the cool side 80's during the day and ambient temp in the 90's middle of the tank and basking surface 95-100 - place the probe on the spot where the dragon sits for basking get the temp after 10 min or so ---
I will be replacing the daytime heat bulb with a ceramic heat emitter this week. She is currently brumating so im fine for right now

She is young from what I can gather and unlikely to be older than 14 months.

the ZooMed Fluorescent is a t5ho 10.0 UVB not a T8 and there is no cover on it. i'll be upgrading that to the 36 inch UVB 10.0 as well soon.

From what I have found there is only ONE LED UVB bulb proven to work on the market and its from Reptisun and like 180 dollars and hard to get so Ill avoid the LED lights.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I will be replacing the daytime heat bulb with a ceramic heat emitter this week. She is currently brumating so im fine for right now

She is young from what I can gather and unlikely to be older than 14 months.

the ZooMed Fluorescent is a t5ho 10.0 UVB not a T8 and there is no cover on it. i'll be upgrading that to the 36 inch UVB 10.0 as well soon.

From what I have found there is only ONE LED UVB bulb proven to work on the market and its from Reptisun and like 180 dollars and hard to get so Ill avoid the LED lights.
Please do not get a UVB fixture the same length of the tank the dragon needs to be able to get out of the UVB rays w / out having to hide from it -- distance for a T 5 is 12-15 inches directly over the basking decor piece -- you dont want any LED lights unless your using it to light up a dark end of the tank --- you need a good bright white clear basking bulb to provide heat/ UVA --- no colored bulbs NO LED's - no heat mats or rocks -- CHE 's are fine for heat at night - tank temps at night should not fall below 65 and not over 75 -- dragons like it cool and dark -- daytime temps on the cool side should be 80ish -- basking temps need to be taken w/ a digital probe thermometer on the surface where the dragon sits for basking -- 90's ambient temp that can be taken w/ a stick on --

Latest posts