• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Trouble eating and swallowing

BartTheBeardie

Bearded Dragon Egg
My bearded is 11 years old lately seems to be having issues eating and swallowing. He can't seem to pick anything up with his tongue. The tip of his mouth seems a bit red and he seems to gulp and gulp whenever I give him anything to eat. I started trying to give him food with a syringe. Other than that he is active and seems to be doing fine. Any advice? Is this normal?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
My bearded is 11 years old lately seems to be having issues eating and swallowing. He can't seem to pick anything up with his tongue. The tip of his mouth seems a bit red and he seems to gulp and gulp whenever I give him anything to eat. I started trying to give him food with a syringe. Other than that he is active and seems to be doing fine. Any advice? Is this normal?
What kind of uvb coil or long tube fixture? How old is the uvb? Please take a pic of the inside of the mouth- I will probably need to get help w/ this - there is a vet tech on here that can help but we need more info and the pics would help alot

BartTheBeardie

Bearded Dragon Egg
What kind of uvb coil or long tube fixture? How old is the uvb? Please take a pic of the inside of the mouth- I will probably need to get help w/ this - there is a vet tech on here that can help but we need more info and the pics would help alot
I use the zoomed 10.0 UVB T8 light
The spot I was talking about earlier doesn't seem to be there anymore. I wonder if it was from him trying to catch a super worm. He holds his food at the end of his mouth and can't seem to get it in? This is the best pic I could get for now.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230426-183622_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230426-183622_Gallery.jpg
    287.3 KB · Views: 10

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I use the zoomed 10.0 UVB T8 light
The spot I was talking about earlier doesn't seem to be there anymore. I wonder if it was from him trying to catch a super worm. He holds his food at the end of his mouth and can't seem to get it in? This is the best pic I could get for now.
Ok maybe try getting one from the front w/ his mouth open --- the T 8 is where ? top of screen ? inside the tank? how old is the T 8 ? I am flagging post to Tracie --
@Drache613

BartTheBeardie

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok maybe try getting one from the front w/ his mouth open --- the T 8 is where ? top of screen ? inside the tank? how old is the T 8 ? I am flagging post to Tracie --
@Drache613
It's inside his cage about 14 inches high. I just replaced it but had it in for about a year or little less? He was with my family for the last year while I had my baby and now he is back with me. I stopped over once a week to care for him but they helped feed him the rest of the week. They just started telling me about 2 weeks ago that he was starting to have trouble with eating and now I have been trying to give him some puree in a syringe to help get some stuff down. We had 2 exotic vets around us but both have now left. I'll attach a pic soon.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It's inside his cage about 14 inches high. I just replaced it but had it in for about a year or little less? He was with my family for the last year while I had my baby and now he is back with me. I stopped over once a week to care for him but they helped feed him the rest of the week. They just started telling me about 2 weeks ago that he was starting to have trouble with eating and now I have been trying to give him some puree in a syringe to help get some stuff down. We had 2 exotic vets around us but both have now left. I'll attach a pic soon.
Please get the distance 6-8 inches directly above the basking decor it is too far and he's not getting any uvb- expiration for a T 8 is 6 months I recommend 5-- please get this adjusted asap- I have flagged your post to the vet tech please get more pics posted

BartTheBeardie

Bearded Dragon Egg
Please get the distance 6-8 inches directly above the basking decor it is too far and he's not getting any uvb- expiration for a T 8 is 6 months I recommend 5-- please get this adjusted asap- I have flagged your post to the vet tech please get more pics posted
Okay, I relooked and it probably is sorry! I was thinking from the ground but it looks like 6 or so inches away from his basking spot.
This is the best picture I could get. It looks like his teeth in the back look dark ☹️ is this mouth rot? Or because he is old?

Attachments

• 20230427_124113.jpg
    20230427_124113.jpg
    937.9 KB · Views: 8

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Okay, I relooked and it probably is sorry! I was thinking from the ground but it looks like 6 or so inches away from his basking spot.

This is the best picture I could get. It looks like his teeth in the back look dark ☹️ is this mouth rot? Or because he is old?
Possibly I am gonna reach out to another person on this will get back w/ you

Drache613

Hatchling Dragon
Hello,

I apologize for the delay. Your dragon is 11 years of age? How is he doing today?
The Reptisun UVB light you are using, is a tube bulb, is it mounted underneath of the screen
or on top of the screen?
Could he have bit down on something that injured his mouth & gum area?
For now, I would try to put some raw, unpasteurized honey on the affected area because
it does seem as though it is irritated or infected. How long has he had this issue with
eating, etc?
There have been cases where a superworm or hornworm can bite them on their tongue.

Tracie

BartTheBeardie

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello,

I apologize for the delay. Your dragon is 11 years of age? How is he doing today?
The Reptisun UVB light you are using, is a tube bulb, is it mounted underneath of the screen
or on top of the screen?
Could he have bit down on something that injured his mouth & gum area?
For now, I would try to put some raw, unpasteurized honey on the affected area because
it does seem as though it is irritated or infected. How long has he had this issue with
eating, etc?
There have been cases where a superworm or hornworm can bite them on their tongue.

Tracie
Hello,
Yes he is 11 years in age. My UV light is mounted inside of the tank about 6 inches away from basking spot. He does eat a lot of super worms since he is a very picky boy and doesn't like many other insects. I will try the honey on his mouth! He has been doing this for about 2 weeks with his mouth. But honestly he just seems like he's going down hill just a little due to age. He is sleeping a lot more than normal. Other days he seems alert and good.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hello,
Yes he is 11 years in age. My UV light is mounted inside of the tank about 6 inches away from basking spot. He does eat a lot of super worms since he is a very picky boy and doesn't like many other insects. I will try the honey on his mouth! He has been doing this for about 2 weeks with his mouth. But honestly he just seems like he's going down hill just a little due to age. He is sleeping a lot more than normal. Other days he seems alert and good.
Make sure the UVB is not over 6 months of age --- super worms are like feeding candy-- what insects has he eaten in the past and what have you fed for insects

BartTheBeardie

Bearded Dragon Egg
Make sure the UVB is not over 6 months of age --- super worms are like feeding candy-- what insects has he eaten in the past and what have you fed for insects
Horn worms mostly with wax worms and superworms and occasionally silk worms. He hates and will not touch dubia roaches and doesn't care for crickets. And as of the light I did just switch it last week!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Horn worms mostly with wax worms and superworms and occasionally silk worms. He hates and will not touch dubia roaches and doesn't care for crickets. And as of the light I did just switch it last week!
Ok please feed the wax worms sparingly they are very fatty and can cause liver issues if fed too often and too many - the silk worms are a good staple feeder --- I would feed those 2-3 times per week - the horn worms are good especially for hydration and the super worms are treat worms too - hes hooked on those super worms -- :) try the honey as suggested by Tracie see how that goes and if it starts to clear this issue up --

Drache613

Hatchling Dragon
Hello,

How are things going? Is he eating any better yet? The hornworms & silkworms are great & superworms
in moderate amounts are fine also.
Are you getting plenty of fluids into him pretty often?
I hope the new UVB light is helps out also. Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

BartTheBeardie

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello,

How are things going? Is he eating any better yet? The hornworms & silkworms are great & superworms
in moderate amounts are fine also.
Are you getting plenty of fluids into him pretty often?
I hope the new UVB light is helps out also. Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie
Yes I have been trying my best to give him lots of fluids and still giving him syringes to try and help. He is slowly seeming like he can chew a bit better! Thank you for everyone's help!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yes I have been trying my best to give him lots of fluids and still giving him syringes to try and help. He is slowly seeming like he can chew a bit better! Thank you for everyone's help!
Good please keep us posted how thing are progressing

Drache613

Hatchling Dragon
Hello,

Definitely let us know how he is doing. I'm glad to hear he seems to be able to chew a little easier
now, bless him! He needs some nutrition in him.

Tracie