• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Too many lights?

Tyguy

Hatchling Dragon
Is it okay to use two 100 watt basking lights in a 40 gallon tank, and then a 75 watt one only if I can't get it up to temp? I also use a CHE because it's very cold in my house. I just basically am wondering if too much basking light is bad. (BTW I have a reptisun T5 10.0 for UV, don't worry.) With all of those combined, I can get his basking spot to 102-104 usually. But is it too much light? Thank you

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Is it okay to use two 100 watt basking lights in a 40 gallon tank, and then a 75 watt one only if I can't get it up to temp? I also use a CHE because it's very cold in my house. I just basically am wondering if too much basking light is bad. (BTW I have a reptisun T5 10.0 for UV, don't worry.) With all of those combined, I can get his basking spot to 102-104 usually. But is it too much light? Thank you
How are you getting the temp ? NO stick ons you need a digital probe thermometer placed on the spot where the dragon sits -- then adjust your basking bulb --- how old is the dragon? If hes a baby 105-110 for a juvie/ adult 95-100--- you want a accurate temp --- the UVB is a good one where do you have it placed? They require certain distance and placement -- also screen places a roll in this

Tyguy

Hatchling Dragon
How are you getting the temp ? NO stick ons you need a digital probe thermometer placed on the spot where the dragon sits -- then adjust your basking bulb --- how old is the dragon? If hes a baby 105-110 for a juvie/ adult 95-100--- you want a accurate temp --- the UVB is a good one where do you have it placed? They require certain distance and placement -- also screen places a roll in this
Yes I'm using probes. I have the uvb on top of the screen about 10-12 inches from his basking area.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yes I'm using probes. I have the uvb on top of the screen about 10-12 inches from his basking area.
Ok where is the tank? Floor on a stand ? Is he in a cold room by a window ? All these will effect the temps- your screen is a fine mesh of wide hole type

Tyguy

Hatchling Dragon
Ok where is the tank? Floor on a stand ? Is he in a cold room by a window ? All these will effect the temps- your screen is a fine mesh of wide hole type
On a stand and it has wide mesh holes. It is fairly cold here

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
On a stand and it has wide mesh holes. It is fairly cold here
Ok so you can use two basking bulbs but two 100 watt seems a little extreme - are you placing the probes on the spot hes sitting for basking ? I guess it is possible for what your using but for a 40 gallon tank it seems a lot - no its not too much light its the temps you need to be concerned about-- how old is the dragon - if hes a year or older they like temps 95-100-- the CHE can be run during the day to get ambient temps up I would place it on the back center top of screen for that --- they can be used to get ambient temps in the tank to 90's - but you want your surface basking spot 95-100 -- and make sure your cool side is 80's -- the UVB needs to sit 8-10 inches directly above the basking decor piece when sitting on the screen

Latest posts