• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Temperature

Beatrice

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi,

im a fairly new bearded dragon owner so looking for some advice. I have as you can see a digital temperature device in my dragons vivarium the timer is set for 12 hours so comes on at 8 and off at 8. My probes are again as you can see away from the heat lamp but I’m having to turn the dial up to 99 and still only getting the tank to 87 why os this?

help!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 9
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 9
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 16

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi,

im a fairly new bearded dragon owner so looking for some advice. I have as you can see a digital temperature device in my dragons vivarium the timer is set for 12 hours so comes on at 8 and off at 8. My probes are again as you can see away from the heat lamp but I’m having to turn the dial up to 99 and still only getting the tank to 87 why os this?

help!
I see that what wattage of a basking bulb are you using and the one you have looks like its giving off a yellowish tint - it could be the pic itself but you want a clear bright white bulb -- also the distance should be around 8 inches - your dragon is really pretty - and a big boy / girl as well

Beatrice

Bearded Dragon Egg
I see that what wattage of a basking bulb are you using and the one you have looks like its giving off a yellowish tint - it could be the pic itself but you want a clear bright white bulb -- also the distance should be around 8 inches - your dragon is really pretty - and a big boy / girl as well
Hi, thank you for responding. It’s a 150 watt bulb as the tank is 4ft and the 120 was getting anywhere near the temperature. Does the yellowish tint mean the bulb is almost done? I did wonder this. She’s 9 months old and a Neo we love her she’s such a character and very very greedy!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi, thank you for responding. It’s a 150 watt bulb as the tank is 4ft and the 120 was getting anywhere near the temperature. Does the yellowish tint mean the bulb is almost done? I did wonder this. She’s 9 months old and a Neo we love her she’s such a character and very very greedy!
If it has the yellowish tint to it please get a clear bright white basking bulb - I dont know if those yellowish tinted ones have anything to do w/ out put of heat but I do know dragons need clear bright white example of this would be like a Exo Terra Intense or a Zoo Med Reptibasking bulb -- get one of those and see what the temps do then let me know -- let me ask this did you take the probe and put it where she sits for basking - you want a surface basking temp -

Beatrice

Bearded Dragon Egg
If it has the yellowish tint to it please get a clear bright white basking bulb - I dont know if those yellowish tinted ones have anything to do w/ out put of heat but I do know dragons need clear bright white example of this would be like a Exo Terra Intense or a Zoo Med Reptibasking bulb -- get one of those and see what the temps do then let me know -- let me ask this did you take the probe and put it where she sits for basking - you want a surface basking temp -
It was originally set up on the ground of the tank directly below the lamp but I was convinced I should move it furthest away to see if that would raise the temp. Should I put it back Sadie?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It was originally set up on the ground of the tank directly below the lamp but I was convinced I should move it furthest away to see if that would raise the temp. Should I put it back Sadie?
I am not following you-- you set what on the ground the probe? And you moved what furthest away?

Beatrice

Bearded Dragon Egg
I am not following you-- you set what on the ground the probe? And you moved what furthest away?
Yes I get what you mean now so I’ve moved it back where it was which under the basking lamp. I think it must be the lamp so I’ve just ordered the bulb you suggested. When the probe was in this place before the temperature still wasn’t reaching 88 so im pretty sure now based on your advice it’s the bulb

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yes I get what you mean now so I’ve moved it back where it was which under the basking lamp. I think it must be the lamp so I’ve just ordered the bulb you suggested. When the probe was in this place before the temperature still wasn’t reaching 88 so im pretty sure now based on your advice it’s the bulb
It could be--- its trial and error w/ basking bulbs - let me know if the temp gets better - I do know w/ age basking bulbs get weaker along w/ UVB's - it is best to do a digital probe check like once a week w/ them and it seems your doing just that - for her your looking for a temp of 95-100 -

Latest posts