• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Tempature varriant

Seleghari

Bearded Dragon Egg
Getting my first ever beardie next week! And I'm busy setting up my enclosure right now. I'm running into some problems getting my temps up. I have researched and researched so I don't really need any beginner advice except this one question: On a 48in tank with 3 dome lights (and a fluorescent tube) I have the traditional basking, ceramic coil, and led by bulbs. My cool side is still reading in the 60's. We are currently in the middle of a snow storm yes. I'm also currently in the middle of drying out excavator clay which would also mess with my temp readings. My question is just that...

With such a long tank has anyone else heard of the need to use more heat sources?

Since it's not fully set up yet I'm not positive just trying to problem solve. And seeking information on if anyone else has had a problem with this. Thanks so much.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Getting my first ever beardie next week! And I'm busy setting up my enclosure right now. I'm running into some problems getting my temps up. I have researched and researched so I don't really need any beginner advice except this one question: On a 48in tank with 3 dome lights (and a fluorescent tube) I have the traditional basking, ceramic coil, and led by bulbs. My cool side is still reading in the 60's. We are currently in the middle of a snow storm yes. I'm also currently in the middle of drying out excavator clay which would also mess with my temp readings. My question is just that...

With such a long tank has anyone else heard of the need to use more heat sources?

Since it's not fully set up yet I'm not positive just trying to problem solve. And seeking information on if anyone else has had a problem with this. Thanks so much.
Are you using a digital probe thermometer- you want surface basking temps - cool side you can use a regular household bulb like a 40 or 60 watt to get temps in the 80's

Seleghari

Bearded Dragon Egg
Yeah, that's what I was thinking I might have to resort to. Only I'd prefer not to so I can use a sunlight bulb they are just so much brighter. I am measuring with a temp gun as my probe is in my basking spot. I have just ordered a light stand my thought is to try to raise the light up to widen the basking area. Obviously I'll have to up the bulb as well.

Sam-E

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I live in Wyoming and temperatures are a pain in the ass sometimes. I have a 48" x18" x20" tank with a 48" UV bulb, 2 ceramic heaters (one on a thermostat, in the middle of the tank), and 2 heating pads on the hot side. In the past I also had a heat rock that I made sure to block so my beardie couldn't actually get to it on the cool side. During the summer I make sure to get the heating pads on either a thermostat or at least timed for day only. During the winter, I generally leave the pads on all the time. Best of luck! I know it took me awhile to get the correct temps.

Latest posts