• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Shaking head (not bobbing)

Lisa Strahan

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello all, my bearded dragon has not been well. He has begun shaking his head while he goes to eat his food. It’s like he can’t control it. See video. I spent a lot of money at the vet, had blood work done, etc… and they couldn’t find anything. Calcium level was good. Lights tested and actually bought new. I just don’t know what is wrong. Any suggestions/thoughts?

Please help!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hello all, my bearded dragon has not been well. He has begun shaking his head while he goes to eat his food. It’s like he can’t control it. See video. I spent a lot of money at the vet, had blood work done, etc… and they couldn’t find anything. Calcium level was good. Lights tested and actually bought new. I just don’t know what is wrong. Any suggestions/thoughts?

Please help!
Tell me what your using for a UVB? coil or a long tube fixture? Usually that is a neurological disorder but cant say for sure? We need Tracie the vet tech on here to take a look-- Did the vet do Xrays to see where the calcium level was in the head part?

Lisa Strahan

Bearded Dragon Egg
Tell me what your using for a UVB? coil or a long tube fixture? Usually that is a neurological disorder but cant say for sure? We need Tracie the vet tech on here to take a look-- Did the vet do Xrays to see where the calcium level was in the head part?
I am using a tube UVB. We have had the same setup for years. The vet m
I am using a tube light for the UVB. I have had the same setup since I got him 6 years ago. This was the message I received from the vet: The adenovirus test was negative which is great. The complete blood cell count and chemistries were also spot on normal!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I am using a tube UVB. We have had the same setup for years. The vet m

I am using a tube light for the UVB. I have had the same setup since I got him 6 years ago. This was the message I received from the vet: The adenovirus test was negative which is great. The complete blood cell count and chemistries were also spot on normal!
How old is the uvb bulb and what bulb is it? T 5 or a T 8? Where in the tank is it? Top of screen or inside?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hello. The bulb is a T5 and it is inside the tank at the top.
How old? Distance should be 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor and the bulb should not be over 11 months old

Drache613

Hatchling Dragon
Hello,

Which brand is your T5 tube bulb, we would just like to verify that to be sure it is a reputable brand.
How often do you give calcium for her?
If you have a copy of the blood test, if you could post that here it would be very helpful, thanks!

Tracie

Lisa Strahan

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello! The brand is ReptiSun. He is getting calcium once a week. We also give him OxBow Critical Care. (recommended by the pet store).

I wrote the vet to try and get the test results. When we were at the vet they did bloodwork and said that his calcium levels look good. I am hoping they send me the exact details.

This was the email I received from the vet after they sent some work to the lab:
Hi Lisa,
Sorry for the delay. We have two reptile labs we use and the nurses were checking the other frequently and the lab we sent Dez's samples to got overlooked. The adenovirus test was negative which is great. The complete blood cell count and chemistries were also spot on normal!
Dr. Weiss

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hello! The brand is ReptiSun. He is getting calcium once a week. We also give him OxBow Critical Care. (recommended by the pet store).

I wrote the vet to try and get the test results. When we were at the vet they did bloodwork and said that his calcium levels look good. I am hoping they send me the exact details.

This was the email I received from the vet after they sent some work to the lab:
Hi Lisa,
Sorry for the delay. We have two reptile labs we use and the nurses were checking the other frequently and the lab we sent Dez's samples to got overlooked. The adenovirus test was negative which is great. The complete blood cell count and chemistries were also spot on normal!
Dr. Weiss
Where is the Reptisun UVB? If your screen is a fine mesh like a screen door it needs to be in the tank directly over a piece of basking decor 12-15 inches - for a wide hole screen it can stay on top w/it 8-10 inches -- I would however have it in the tank --- I am flagging your post to Tracie so she can chime in on the cause and as soon as you can post the results of the test please
@Drache613

Lisa Strahan

Bearded Dragon Egg
Here are pics of my setup.
IMG_0541.jpg
IMG_0543.jpg
IMG_0544.jpg