• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Quick question on basking bulbs

BeardedPowell

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi, we have planned to add a new bearded dragon to our family and it will be our first one. We have done tons of research and think we have the enclosure figured out except for the basking light. We have a 40gal (36x18x18) enclosure. I understand that a normal household bulb in the correct wattage will be sufficient when paired with a seperate uvb light system. We are unsure about soft white, warm white or just a clear bulb works best. I have linked the bulb we are considering. Any insight will be greatly appreciated!

Newbeardiemom

Juvenile Dragon
Hi, we have planned to add a new bearded dragon to our family and it will be our first one. We have done tons of research and think we have the enclosure figured out except for the basking light. We have a 40gal (36x18x18) enclosure. I understand that a normal household bulb in the correct wattage will be sufficient when paired with a seperate uvb light system. We are unsure about soft white, warm white or just a clear bulb works best. I have linked the bulb we are considering. Any insight will be greatly appreciated!

This is the basking bulb I use.. well mine is a philips and a100 watt …I have a really large enclosure… but, yes this is good. The floodlights have a wider area coverage as to not create a hot spot… the halogen is more energy efficient… and you want a clear white light (not yellow or any other color).. this gives off quite a bit of heat. One suggestion is to invest in a thermostat!… I did not at first and I nearly pulled my hair out trying to keep the temp right in the basking surface… now I don’t worry because I know it’ll always stay at the temp needed. They are not expensive on Amazon. I got one for around $50 but mine will run 2 separate lights (I have 2 basking spots)… they are much cheaper than this for I’ve light. You will be so glad you did!

BeardedPowell

Bearded Dragon Egg
This is the basking bulb I use.. well mine is a philips and a100 watt …I have a really large enclosure… but, yes this is good. The floodlights have a wider area coverage as to not create a hot spot… the halogen is more energy efficient… and you want a clear white light (not yellow or any other color).. this gives off quite a bit of heat. One suggestion is to invest in a thermostat!… I did not at first and I nearly pulled my hair out trying to keep the temp right in the basking surface… now I don’t worry because I know it’ll always stay at the temp needed. They are not expensive on Amazon. I got one for around $50 but mine will run 2 separate lights (I have 2 basking spots)… they are much cheaper than this for I’ve light. You will be so glad you did!
Hey! Thanks for your help. I am purchasing a dome fixture with a dimmer so i can adjust the output of my basking bulb. I intend on setting up my enclosure with the lighting and dialing it in before introducing our dragon. I expect to keep an infrared thermometer to do spot checks as we add to the enclosure. I will take a look into a thermostat and see if i can encorporate it into my plans. Thanks again!

Newbeardiemom

Juvenile Dragon
Hey! Thanks for your help. I am purchasing a dome fixture with a dimmer so i can adjust the output of my basking bulb. I intend on setting up my enclosure with the lighting and dialing it in before introducing our dragon. I expect to keep an infrared thermometer to do spot checks as we add to the enclosure. I will take a look into a thermostat and see if i can encorporate it into my plans. Thanks again!
I did the same thing.. I got a dimmer for each light but it was impossible for me as I was checking temps every few minutes. I left one day for a couple of hours to come home to my temp being 114. Way too hot. I too got the infrared temp gun… but so many said they had a tendency to be inaccurate…. More advice.. invest in a digital thermometer/hygrometer with probes. I did that but could never figure how everyone else’s temps were so good and mine were so off!… placement of probes is the answer!… humidity probe should go against the back in the middle.. that gives the humidity in the entire enclosure… temp probe can be placed on hot surface for the most accurate temp as well as hang on the hot side for ambient temps on hot side. Another digital without probes can be hung on the cool side as there needs to be a cool, a middle, and a hot variant of temps. I had exactly as you and had it set up for when I brought my guy home but… not… I finally listened and several weeks later I got it right. I hate to see anyone go thru the stress I did! Good luck!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club

Keep in mind that flood lights, spot lights, and halogen bulbs will be hotter than a regular light bulb because they are more focused in one spot.
Check out this website for basking lights please

Latest posts