• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Please help me with my guy.

Shaferar3

Hatchling Dragon
He was slightly impacted, but passed it in a warm bath last night. He was preferring the cool side of his enclosure and now is hiding in his cave. He will poke his head out and other time go completely inside. He is not really basking which is why I think he may have become mildly impacted. He’s approximately 8 months old. Eating okay, except not as enthusiastically and less interest in greens. Temps in enclosure are good. If any things seems more scared or at least that’s how I interpret it…

We just got home from a 10 day vacation. 2 days prior to that we moved him to a different room in the house. How do I help him?

Shaferar3

Hatchling Dragon
He was slightly impacted, but passed it in a warm bath last night. He was preferring the cool side of his enclosure and now is hiding in his cave. He will poke his head out and other time go completely inside. He is not really basking which is why I think he may have become mildly impacted. He’s approximately 8 months old. Eating okay, except not as enthusiastically and less interest in greens. Temps in enclosure are good. If any things seems more scared or at least that’s how I interpret it…

We just got home from a 10 day vacation. 2 days prior to that we moved him to a different room in the house. How do I help him?
Honestly, it seems like brumation. He’s not sleeping but seems less active and tired but he is too young for that and it’s the wrong season. So I’m confused.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Honestly, it seems like brumation. He’s not sleeping but seems less active and tired but he is too young for that and it’s the wrong season. So I’m confused.
Incorrect surface basking temps and UVB will cause brumation type behavior-- please go over the surface basking temps 95-100 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer --- UVB should be a long tube fixture I can recommend 3 of them if you need them --- NO coils --

Shaferar3

Hatchling Dragon
Incorrect surface basking temps and UVB will cause brumation type behavior-- please go over the surface basking temps 95-100 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer --- UVB should be a long tube fixture I can recommend 3 of them if you need them --- NO coils --
All temps seem correct, but he does seem hot. We have the Repti sun 10.0 long tube fixture, only 4 months old. The temps have been consistent and he’s done fine until now. Basking temp is 100. However, he is gaping on the cool side (temp 84)

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
All temps seem correct, but he does seem hot. We have the Repti sun 10.0 long tube fixture, only 4 months old. The temps have been consistent and he’s done fine until now. Basking temp is 100. However, he is gaping on the cool side (temp 84)
How are you getting the surface basking temps-- the screen on the tank will determine where the uvb is placed and distanced- what kind of screen fine mesh like a screen door or a wide holed type

Shaferar3

Hatchling Dragon
How are you getting the surface basking temps-- the screen on the tank will determine where the uvb is placed and distanced- what kind of screen fine mesh like a screen door or a wide holed type
Digital probe thermometer. Fine mesh, we have the Repti zoo front opening enclosure. Everything was going fine. I just can’t figure this out and I’m so frustrated because nothing changed with the lights/temp/distance… for the last 4 months we have had him. He came out of the cave for a feeding but I’m scared to feed him if he’s not basking!

Shaferar3

Hatchling Dragon
I guess there has been a temp change. Room temp is much hotter, as the weather has changed here but his temps in his enclosure are fine. I think the cool side used to be mid 70s and now it’s mid 80s.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I guess there has been a temp change. Room temp is much hotter, as the weather has changed here but his temps in his enclosure are fine. I think the cool side used to be mid 70s and now it’s mid 80s.
Please adjust the cool side mid 80's is too warm get it down to low 80's --- your room temp has effected the temps in the tank - especially if the sun is shining in that room - I have my dragons in my office / computer room and by afternoon I am shutting off one of the basking lights because the tanks are getting too warm - when summer comes the 150 watt used for winter will go to a 100 watt -- room temps will effect the temps in the tank -- the UVB needs to be inside the tank for a fine mesh screen -- the UVB rays are being blocked by approx 30% - please unobstruct it w/ either taking the screen off pulling the screen forward or hanging in the tank -- I can post things to hang w/ if you like -- the basking decor piece should be 12-15 inches directly under the UVB

Shaferar3

Hatchling Dragon
Please adjust the cool side mid 80's is too warm get it down to low 80's --- your room temp has effected the temps in the tank - especially if the sun is shining in that room - I have my dragons in my office / computer room and by afternoon I am shutting off one of the basking lights because the tanks are getting too warm - when summer comes the 150 watt used for winter will go to a 100 watt -- room temps will effect the temps in the tank -- the UVB needs to be inside the tank for a fine mesh screen -- the UVB rays are being blocked by approx 30% - please unobstruct it w/ either taking the screen off pulling the screen forward or hanging in the tank -- I can post things to hang w/ if you like -- the basking decor piece should be 12-15 inches directly under the UVB
Do you have a picture of what the UVB light looks like hung in the tank?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club

Attachments

• New substrate Blaze 9-30-22.jpg
    New substrate Blaze 9-30-22.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 6

Shaferar3

Hatchling Dragon
Thank you! Okay, so the temps dropped. We went from 85 degrees in MN to 40 and his cool side is now mid 70s like they were before with the basking spot 105. He is still hiding in his cave… any other thoughts?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thank you! Okay, so the temps dropped. We went from 85 degrees in MN to 40 and his cool side is now mid 70s like they were before with the basking spot 105. He is still hiding in his cave… any other thoughts?
Ok get your temps adjusted accordingly - I am in MN as well and haft to watch temps in the tanks both basking lights are on on the hot side of the tank today -- w/ your guy what are you feeding for a staple feeder? Crickets can cause parasites-- has he ever had one done? If not I would get a fecal into a reptile vet dont know your area but I take mine to St Cloud to Companions -- she is good - please NO enemas -- they usually want a 24 hr sample - if you need a website to find a reptile vet in your area I can post one - it could be the weather but we want to rule all possibilities out so we know hes not sick-- are you using a clear bright white basking bulb? No off colored or off white or daytime bulbs -- they have a coating on them that causes eye issues

Shaferar3

Hatchling Dragon
Thank you so much for your help! He was basking much more today!!!! It must have been the room temps! He does get fed crickets and collard greens as his staple foods. I will continue to watch him. I’d love the website if you don’t mind. Are there specific signs of parasites I should look for?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thank you so much for your help! He was basking much more today!!!! It must have been the room temps! He does get fed crickets and collard greens as his staple foods. I will continue to watch him. I’d love the website if you don’t mind. Are there specific signs of parasites I should look for?
Yes lethargic behavior if the parasite count is too high -- but this one really is a sign -- runny poop - smells so bad it makes you leave the room or you can smell it out of the room -- and loss of appetite -- I would look at getting him switched over to dubia roaches -- you can order them on line most do they are cheaper than pet stores if they carry them - I can post websites for those as well - in the mean time heres the website for the reptile vet
www.arav.org

Shaferar3

Hatchling Dragon
Okay, thank you. I was afraid living in mn the live feeders would die because it was so cold, not going into summer will the heat kill them? Where do you get your roaches from?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Okay, thank you. I was afraid living in mn the live feeders would die because it was so cold, not going into summer will the heat kill them? Where do you get your roaches from?
My roaches come from www.dubiaroaches.com - out of Kansas I believe- I keep them in a 10 gallon aquarium in my computer/ office room w/ the dragons- if they escape they dont last long - I feed them dubia food w/ dubia crystals and also food that I feed the dragons - squashes - raw sweet potato shredded- fruit - like oranges the dragons do not get that nor carrots too much Vit A -- I also order horn worms - and super worms - I dont feed wax or meal worms my dragons wont eat those - wax worms are too fatty anyway- too many and long term can cause liver damage -- I also feed silk worms another good staple feeder I will post a bunch of sites for you and you can shop for what you want -- hornworms are a good hydrating worm and usually grow really fast but lately I have been having a hard time getting them to grow - so I have been ordering large and even then they arent that big -
https://flukerfarms.com/crickets-live-feeder-insects/ great super worms but you will need a plastic container w/ holes in the lid as they come in a tube and also meal worm food to feed and carrots or potato for hydration
http://www.mulberryfarms.com/ very expensive shipping
https://www.tcinsects.com/shop/ expensive shipping

I would look at all your options on here and go from there -