• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New guy not eating alot

ants337

Bearded Dragon Egg
Afternoon all
After some advice/reassurance, I've had young Derek for 2½ weeks (27-08-23) now, he/she was born in May 23.
They were given a week to settle in to their new home before handling etc. As you can see temps are where they should be and UVB is arcadia 12%.
Now...the question...from what I've read young dragons should be eating ALOT however the problem is Derek does not want to. He/she has eaten a few things I.e crickets and a couple of wax worms and veggies but not the amount I would have thought they would be devouring everything.

could it still be nerves or something I'm doing wrong care wise??

Many thanks
Ant

Attachments

• 20230912_173737.jpg
    20230912_173737.jpg
    6.6 MB · Views: 9
  • 20230912_173813.jpg
    20230912_173813.jpg
    5.8 MB · Views: 8

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Afternoon all
After some advice/reassurance, I've had young Derek for 2½ weeks (27-08-23) now, he/she was born in May 23.
They were given a week to settle in to their new home before handling etc. As you can see temps are where they should be and UVB is arcadia 12%.
Now...the question...from what I've read young dragons should be eating ALOT however the problem is Derek does not want to. He/she has eaten a few things I.e crickets and a couple of wax worms and veggies but not the amount I would have thought they would be devouring everything.

could it still be nerves or something I'm doing wrong care wise??

Many thanks
Ant
What is the surface basking temp? I see the probe --- it should be 105-110 --- the UVB distance is ??? It looks good tho - hes eating that is good --- right now hes going thru relocation stress --- thats going to effect the appetite - he looks like hes got some stress marks - make sure he stays hydrated - the substrate is what? Loose substrate for a baby dragon is not good - too much risk of him eating it and getting impacted -- wax worms are not recommended -- they are very fatty and long term and too many can cause liver issues -- please rinse his salads before serving that will help w/ hydration along w/ spraying or dropping water on his nose every couple of days to see if he will lick -- I would add some BSFL www.symtonbsf,com and some dubia roaches to his diet -- use the BSFL as salad lures drop them in front of him and feed first thing in the morning - the roaches NO bigger than the space between his eyes- here is a bowl that will keep the BSFL and smaller roaches in it https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Rept...uGQB&pd_rd_wg=tLkwE&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d

ants337

Bearded Dragon Egg
The basking surface is as in the picture between 39-41c.

I've been dripping water onto and around his face and leaving small pools around him aswell as a water bowl.
The wax worms were just to try him in them to see if he would eat anything else, I've got.him a batch of calci worms, he's a bit to small for the dubias available to me.

I'll give him another week or so to calm.down.
Thanks for your help

Milestone97

Bearded Dragon Egg
The basking surface is as in the picture between 39-41c.

I've been dripping water onto and around his face and leaving small pools around him aswell as a water bowl.
The wax worms were just to try him in them to see if he would eat anything else, I've got.him a batch of calci worms, he's a bit to small for the dubias available to me.

I'll give him another week or so to calm.down.
Thanks for your help
My guy took about 3 weeks to get really comfortable and assume a proper schedule. Pretty erratic until then

Sam-E

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Some dragons never eat as much as they should. My guy just refused to eat as much aseveryoe else claimed they should. Even to this day (3 years later), he is not a big eater. He is a healthy weight and overall heathy, so don't stress too much. Mine also prefers salad over bugs. Definitely a plus as an adult.

jabda

Hatchling Dragon
What is the surface basking temp? I see the probe --- it should be 105-110 --- the UVB distance is ??? It looks good tho - hes eating that is good --- right now hes going thru relocation stress --- thats going to effect the appetite - he looks like hes got some stress marks - make sure he stays hydrated - the substrate is what? Loose substrate for a baby dragon is not good - too much risk of him eating it and getting impacted -- wax worms are not recommended -- they are very fatty and long term and too many can cause liver issues -- please rinse his salads before serving that will help w/ hydration along w/ spraying or dropping water on his nose every couple of days to see if he will lick -- I would add some BSFL www.symtonbsf,com and some dubia roaches to his diet -- use the BSFL as salad lures drop them in front of him and feed first thing in the morning - the roaches NO bigger than the space between his eyes- here is a bowl that will keep the BSFL and smaller roaches in it https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Rept...uGQB&pd_rd_wg=tLkwE&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d
P

jabda

Hatchling Dragon
My guy took about 3 weeks to get really comfortable and assume a proper schedule. Pretty erratic until then
Pure bee pollen sprinkled on the veggie may help.
I did that with my male, no problem now.
I have a baby female born on May 2nd, and bought on July 22nd.
She has gotten use to me in the last month. Takes time both eating and knowing you will take care of them.