• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Is constipation a symptom of being gravid.

DylBKR

Bearded Dragon Egg
My beardie (4) has recently started to have less bowel movements. I noticed it about 3 weeks ago and have had success in making her poop with a warm bath and stomach massage making me think it it less likely to be an impaction, however as of Wednesday this week she has stopped eating her salad and refuses worms which I know can be a sign of the end stages of laying eggs, and when I gave her a bath and massage today the poop was very small which could be a result of her not digesting anything in recent days. Does this all sound normal, I have no qualms with a vet visit if it seems wise but if I can the save money I would not complain.

UVB: Arcadia T5 set up attached to the top middle of the viv
Basking spot at 38C, cool end of the viv around 22C
Diet: Base of spring greens, with grated sweet potato and carrot with various other fruit or veg in small amounts, dusted with calcium. Mealworms as her main insect.

Any responses are appreciated and any other info can be provided.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
My beardie (4) has recently started to have less bowel movements. I noticed it about 3 weeks ago and have had success in making her poop with a warm bath and stomach massage making me think it it less likely to be an impaction, however as of Wednesday this week she has stopped eating her salad and refuses worms which I know can be a sign of the end stages of laying eggs, and when I gave her a bath and massage today the poop was very small which could be a result of her not digesting anything in recent days. Does this all sound normal, I have no qualms with a vet visit if it seems wise but if I can the save money I would not complain.

UVB: Arcadia T5 set up attached to the top middle of the viv
Basking spot at 38C, cool end of the viv around 22C
Diet: Base of spring greens, with grated sweet potato and carrot with various other fruit or veg in small amounts, dusted with calcium. Mealworms as her main insect.

Any responses are appreciated and any other info can be provided.
Older dragons go longer periods of time of not pooping up to 3 weeks- have you felt for eggs? Shes only going to poop out what she puts in so if its small amounts then its going to be smaller poops - I would find a staple insects your feeding treat worms as a staple - BSFL dubia roaches crickets and silk worms are all good staple feeders - too many meal worms can cause impaction - make sure your distance for UVB is 12-15 inches and the bulb is not over 10 months old

DylBKR

Bearded Dragon Egg
Older dragons go longer periods of time of not pooping up to 3 weeks- have you felt for eggs? Shes only going to poop out what she puts in so if its small amounts then its going to be smaller poops - I would find a staple insects your feeding treat worms as a staple - BSFL dubia roaches crickets and silk worms are all good staple feeders - too many meal worms can cause impaction - make sure your distance for UVB is 12-15 inches and the bulb is not over 10 months old
Thank you, good to know about the poop timings, I couldn’t find a good answer. I’ll be honest I don’t really know what I’m feeling for in regards to eggs, I would say her belly is more inflated than normal, not in a hardened way but just bigger but she has layed before so I’ve been under the assumption she defo could be. Regards to insects honestly the only reason for not using Dubias is because I’m squeamish lmao I’ll likely move to this when I next order food and suck it up. UVB bulb is brand new as I replaced it in the event that not enough UV was the cause behind her lack of poops.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thank you, good to know about the poop timings, I couldn’t find a good answer. I’ll be honest I don’t really know what I’m feeling for in regards to eggs, I would say her belly is more inflated than normal, not in a hardened way but just bigger but she has layed before so I’ve been under the assumption she defo could be. Regards to insects honestly the only reason for not using Dubias is because I’m squeamish lmao I’ll likely move to this when I next order food and suck it up. UVB bulb is brand new as I replaced it in the event that not enough UV was the cause behind her lack of poops.
Just make sure shes hydrated and the insects are gut loaded - water is going to move things along - feel for like marbles in her abdomen - a good sign of gravid is digging frantically

DylBKR

Bearded Dragon Egg
Just make sure shes hydrated and the insects are gut loaded - water is going to move things along - feel for like marbles in her abdomen - a good sign of gravid is digging frantically
Yeah I’ve been ensuring she’s hydrated, and will ensure to load up the insects before feeding, she definitely has been digging at her sleeping but refuses to use the dig box I set up .