• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Help please… Anyone know what this bulge above the shoulder is?

NERVOUS

Bearded Dragon Egg
About a week ago, I noticed a bulge above the shoulder blade area. Not sure what’s going on and haven’t been able to find anything similar by way of searching. Help please… And thank you in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_4079.jpeg
    IMG_4079.jpeg
    831.2 KB · Views: 27

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
About a week ago, I noticed a bulge above the shoulder blade area. Not sure what’s going on and haven’t been able to find anything similar by way of searching. Help please… And thank you in advance.
Could be a cyst or abcess -- please go over the UVB your using and your surface basking temps - they should be taken w/ a digital probe thermometer --- and NO coils for a UVB please

NERVOUS

Bearded Dragon Egg
UVB setup includes a 24" Arcadia Pro T5 fixture fitted with a 24" Arcadia Reptile D3+ Dragon 14% bulb. This setup is currently providing a range of UVB from 3.0 - 6.3 (as measured by a Solarmeter Model 6.5R).

Basking temperatures range from 95F - 120F (on the hot side of the enclosure). This gradient of temperatures exists in a canopy of driftwood with multiple basking spots. The cool side of the enclosure includes a cave, where temperatures are in the low 80F range.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
UVB setup includes a 24" Arcadia Pro T5 fixture fitted with a 24" Arcadia Reptile D3+ Dragon 14% bulb. This setup is currently providing a range of UVB from 3.0 - 6.3 (as measured by a Solarmeter Model 6.5R).

Basking temperatures range from 95F - 120F (on the hot side of the enclosure). This gradient of temperatures exists in a canopy of driftwood with multiple basking spots. The cool side of the enclosure includes a cave, where temperatures are in the low 80F range.
Ok so everything sounds good --- I will see if I can get Tracie the vet tech on here to take a look at the area in question
@Drache613

NERVOUS

Bearded Dragon Egg
Not sure if this helps, but we’ve been supplementing with Rep-Cal Calcium with D3 & Herptivite. Thank you (in advance).

Also, attached is a picture from just prior to the current issue developing.

Attachments

• IMG_3915.jpeg
    IMG_3915.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 21

NERVOUS

Bearded Dragon Egg
Bumping this to the top hoping someone can shed some light on what's going on with this Bearded Dragon. Thank you in advance. Appreciate any/all assistance.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I am going to see if I can some one else to take a look

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thank you @Sadie... Appreciate your help.
I had one person get back w/ me and she has said this
I'm not sure , is there any chance that some type of insect bit him? A spider hidden in the enclosure ? That's all I can think of other than what was already suggested, a possible cyst or abscess. Find a good vet to have it checked. I hope you find the answer for this and can help your little friend.

Drache613

Hatchling Dragon
Hello,

Could that be a burn possibly? How far away is the basking light from him?
Is it hard or soft to the touch?

Tracie

NERVOUS

Bearded Dragon Egg
I had one person get back w/ me and she has said this
I'm not sure , is there any chance that some type of insect bit him? A spider hidden in the enclosure ? That's all I can think of other than what was already suggested, a possible cyst or abscess. Find a good vet to have it checked. I hope you find the answer for this and can help your little friend.
I suppose it is possible that an insect bit him, but I don't see any obvious signs (i.e. spider web inside the enclosure, etc). Might be time to make a vet appointment.

NERVOUS

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello,

Could that be a burn possibly? How far away is the basking light from him?
Is it hard or soft to the touch?

Tracie
The UVB fixture and ceramic heat emitters sit on the enclosure's screen top; which is 5" - 7" away from the nearest basking spot. I don't see Bones spend much time in these upper basking spots, so I don't think he got burned... But as with the insect bite, it is possible. I'm going to schedule a vet appointment. Thank you for responding, appreciate it.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The UVB fixture and ceramic heat emitters sit on the enclosure's screen top; which is 5" - 7" away from the nearest basking spot. I don't see Bones spend much time in these upper basking spots, so I don't think he got burned... But as with the insect bite, it is possible. I'm going to schedule a vet appointment. Thank you for responding, appreciate it.
Are you using a solid clear bright white basking bulb? Heat emitters should not be used for basking-- the bright white basking bulb provides UVA heat emitters do not ---- what are your surface basking temps? And what kind of UVB are you using? Please NO coils -- they are a health hazzard

NERVOUS

Bearded Dragon Egg
Are you using a solid clear bright white basking bulb? Heat emitters should not be used for basking-- the bright white basking bulb provides UVA heat emitters do not ---- what are your surface basking temps? And what kind of UVB are you using? Please NO coils -- they are a health hazzard

I'm not using clear white basking bulbs. My understanding is both UVB and UVA requirements are being met by the current lighting setup; which is supposed to be providing 14% UVB and 30% UVA, according to the manufacturer.

Additional details around basking temps and lighting setup are quoted below from earlier in this thread.

NERVOUS

Bearded Dragon Egg
Attached is another photo showing some darkening; which has developed most recently in the previously swollen area.

Also, I’ve contacted an exotic animals vet in my area. We’re currently doing some initial triage before scheduling an appointment.

Attachments

• IMG_4272.jpeg
    IMG_4272.jpeg
    935.7 KB · Views: 8

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Attached is another photo showing some darkening; which has developed most recently in the previously swollen area.

Also, I’ve contacted an exotic animals vet in my area. We’re currently doing some initial triage before scheduling an appointment.
That almost looks like a burn -- please get a solid clear bright white basking bulb -- your dragon will not survive w/ out this ---- you want the tanks lighting to mimic the sun--------- cant stress this enough

NERVOUS

Bearded Dragon Egg
That almost looks like a burn -- please get a solid clear bright white basking bulb -- your dragon will not survive w/ out this ---- you want the tanks lighting to mimic the sun--------- cant stress this enough
Definitely NOT challenging you here, but I don't understand the recommendation for "clear bright white basking bulbs" above.

Is the T5 HO bulb I'm currently using (in conjunction with an automated light timer) not providing the necessary UVA exposure to regulate behaviors such as feeding, diurnal movement, and similar activities?

Thank you.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Definitely NOT challenging you here, but I don't understand the recommendation for "clear bright white basking bulbs" above. Is the T5 HO bulb I'm currently using (in conjunction with an automated light timer) not providing the necessary UVA exposure to regulate behaviors such as feeding, diurnal movement, and similar activities?
The bright white basking bulbs are what start digestion- heat emitters do not do that- just my experience I have seen dragons die under just a heat emitter- they are good for keeping tanks ambient temps but not digestion - I use them for winter - please get a solid clear bright white basking bulb -

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Your uvb is not providing enough UVA - the uvb helps the dragon absorb the calcium he's ingesting- uvbs are crucial for overall health and that includes skin/ scales- a long w/ everything else- improper lighting surface basking temps will cause health issues

NERVOUS

Bearded Dragon Egg
My son and I modeled his terrarium setup using the "Light & Shade Method" described in the Arcadia Reptile article located at the URL below. My understanding is the T5 HO bulb(s) provide full-spectrum visible light plus UVB, while the ceramic heat emitter(s) provide heat; all of which are required to facilitate the D3 cycle (see URL below). If I'm understanding correctly, your suggestion is the bearded dragon needs additional full-spectrum visible light, right?

Light & Shade Method - https://www.arcadiareptile.com/lighting/light-shade-method

D3 Cycle - https://www.arcadiareptile.com/lighting/d3-cycle/

As a tangentially related follow-up question, do you think the problem area on my son's bearded dragon looks like a contact burn (i.e. from touching a heat source) or an overexposure burn (i.e. from too much UVB)?

Thank you.