• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Female Dragon Digging

ravenwolf

Juvenile Dragon
Hey folks!

So for those of you who don't know the story of the rescues I took on Betty and Sheldore please check out this thread first:-
http://www.beardeddragonforum.com/index.php?threads/meet-my-new-additions.8315/#post-77888

Nowadays they are doing a lot better, brighter colours, better temprements, the male is nearly 400g from being just shy of 150g when i got him and the female is 250g from being just shy of 100g when i got her.

Now I am noticing the female Betty scratching around her viv particularly in the corners, I am just worried that due to them having been housed together for so long before I got them that they could have mated and she could have retained sperm and now that they are getting better treatment she is feeling it's time to use that sperm to lay eggs...... which is something I would really rather she didn't do.

The pair were split up as soon as I got them in April 2013 and to be honest with you I haven't read much about beardie breeding as I have never ever wanted to do it but I feel I should maybe be prepared just incase.

So basically what do you guys reckon the scratching and digging behaviour is about and is there any signs of eggs i can look for and what should I do if thats what she needs to do? Thanks folks in advance

gilliesexotics

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi, If she is digging at the corners she is more than likely ready to lay.

Easy way to do it.
1. 29 gallon sterilite tote
2. fresh bag of play sand from any hard ware store, even walmart. Make sure it is moist enough to dig a tunnel without the tunnel caving in.
3. extra step...i push the sand to one basically forming a slope or hill to one side leaving about 2 or so inches at the bottom of the slope. you can also try forming a "volcano" in the center of the tote.

Good luck.

ravenwolf

Juvenile Dragon
thanks I shall do that and see how she goes. Another question and I don't want to upset anyone by saying this but given how many bearded dragons there are out there and the fact that I am not really prepared for breeding them is there a way to humanely stop the eggs from hatching?

mayhmmaydn

Bearded Dragon Egg
Yes please freeze them and render them infertile.trying to bust your butt to get everything to hatch them is a pain and expensive if you are on a tight buget.