• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Daughter is having surgery tomorrow

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
My daughter is having her tonsils and adenoids removed tomorrow. I know it is a simple procedure but my father in-law has malignant hyperthermia and to this day the doctors say he is lucky to have survived his reaction to anesthesia. Today they understand more about it, are more careful and use different drugs then "normal" people but it is still scary to have my 4 year old have surgery. They said we will be away from her for about 1.5 hours and for me that is going to feel like forever.

lexi

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I'm not sure how they did it when your Father-in-Law had his reaction, but now they take blood before hand and mix it differently for each person, based on a lot of factors. The drugs they use now are vastly better than they used to be... but I do understand your concern.

The truth is, any surgery is risky. General anesthesia is a nice word for bringing your body down to 'base' level (i.e., almost dead). That said, most bad reactions to anesthesia are not life-threatening. Two rare (but preventable) inherited problems are:

Malignant hyperthermia - triggered by anesthetic agents such as halothane or succinylcholine. If this was the case, your Father-in-Law probably had severe fever and other problems during surgery or during recovery from anesthesia.

Another issue is that some people are unable to metabolize succinylcholine, the drug used to relax the muscles during the surgery. If this happens, the effects of the drug last much longer than they should. This problem is rare and only occurs in about 1 in 3,000 people.

The best thing you can do is tell the anesthesiologist everything you know about your Father-in-Law's reaction and medical history. These people are WELL trained, and even if an emergency does happen, they are well trained to deal with that, as well.

I've had several surgeries... trust me when I say that they are keeping a better eye on your daughter in that operating room than anyone ever has (or probably ever will) her entire life. If something happens, they'll know what to do to keep her safe.

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I know she will be fine. She had ear tubes put in when she was 18 months and did fine. My father in-law had both reactions and this happened when he was just a child and long before they had a name for it or even knew what it was. We have his medical records on hand and give them to the team prior to surgery. They are well aware of the family history, not to mention I tell them a million times every time I talk to them. She is having her surgery done at a top hospital in the country. Parent magazine ranked them 5th in the nation for childrens hospitals. I have already asked a million questions to make sure they are prepared and they have the drugs needed to counter the anesthesia if there should be a problem, but I know there will not be. She is the first surgery of the day so there will be no trace amounts of the triggering agents in the operating room. The staff knows how serious it is and are being very careful. It is hard to believe that many doctors and anesthesiologist do not know what it is. When we had her tubes put in her first anesthesiologist told me that her condition was not a big deal and she would be treated the same as anyone else. I told him to get out and bring me his supervisor and he is not to go near my child EVER. He came back with his supervisor who, to my relief, is a researcher for the disorder and assigned himself to her surgery and also used my father in-laws records to further research at a university in North Carolina.
beardielover17 said:
I bet she will be fine and come out asking for tons of ice cream *hugs*
She is already telling us when we get home she wants her ice cream. Thank you for the hugs...stressed mommy needs all the hugs she can get :)

lexi

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
staylor said:
When we had her tubes put in her first anesthesiologist told me that her condition was not a big deal and she would be treated the same as anyone else. I told him to get out and bring me his supervisor and he is not to go near my child EVER. He came back with his supervisor who, to my relief, is a researcher for the disorder and assigned himself to her surgery and also used my father in-laws records to further research at a university in North Carolina.

:eek: Good for you! That is ridiculous. :mad:

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
You know whats funny when i had my tounsels removed 20 years ago the first thing i wanted when i came out was corn on the cob lol. The doctors couldnt understand it they said "every kid wants the icecream" but not me i wanted fresh corn on the cob lol, guess thats the south in me lmao

im glad your daughter is doing well and i wish her a speedy recovery.

lexi

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
crypticdragons said:
You know whats funny when i had my tounsels removed 20 years ago the first thing i wanted when i came out was corn on the cob lol. The doctors couldnt understand it they said "every kid wants the icecream" but not me i wanted fresh corn on the cob lol, guess thats the south in me lmao

Brian - you're so odd :D But, in a good way! ;D

Twobeardieguy

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I had mine out when I was a kid and went for a check up a few years ago he said my you have big tonsils! And im like WTF? So yea mine grew back but she will be just fine. ;D

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
We are home now and she is doing well. She is wanting to eat pretzels and chicken nuggets and everything she can't have.
crypticdragons said:

That is so funny. I had mine out 3 years ago and all I could say was more Morphine NOW!!! McKenzie said, "no thanks" to her Popsicles at the hospital.

Twobeardieguy said:
I had mine out when I was a kid and went for a check up a few years ago he said my you have big tonsils! And im like WTF? So yea mine grew back but she will be just fine. ;D

This happened to my father in-law, he has had his adenoids removed 3 times now...that is crazy they just grow back for some people.

lexi

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
So glad she is doing well. I had mine out when I was 12. It wasn't fun, but it wasn't awful. I have heard that it's much easier on kids than adults.

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Her doctor keeps telling me it will be nothing like mine was. She is already doing better then I was. I had to stay overnight due to an infection the prompted the surgery and every 2 hours I was pushing my call button for more morphine and begging them to up the dosage, and they would not b/c I was already at 3cc and I was only 105 pounds. I am having to tell her to sit down and stop running around. Kids are so amazing at the things they can tolerate and how fast they can bounce back

Latest posts