• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Coughing Only RIGHT When Lights Go Off

PriscillaW

Bearded Dragon Egg
So my zero has been completely fine until wildfire smoke got bad here in Washington. We've kept all windows and doors closed, AC on, and an air purifier near the enclosures. I noticed the strange coughing the same day the smoke got bad a few days ago. Then it stopped for a couple days, and has started back the past 2 nights. Thing is, it only happens RIGHT when I turn his lights out. He goes from completely fine to doing the cough motion. I watch him a lot throughout the day, I even have a camera pointed as his enclosure so i can watch while I'm away, absolutely no coughing until the light goes out.

Today, the air quality was good, but he just did it earlier as soon as the lights went out. What's the deal? I worry about a URI but why does this happen in such unison with lights out?

He is eating as usual throughout the day, running around, and pooping. He is a juvenile at this point I believe, and his humidity never goes above 40 during the day. Could a nose plug make it harder for a little one to breathe? I noticed he has at least one, but he wont let me get it out, and it's so tediously small.

Could it be a stress/anger thing? I've seen other suggest that online.

Further info: my adult, who lives in the same room, who I've had for a year has never had any problems, and they have the same setup. (I do keep their view of each other blocked)

Attachments

• 20230829_191542.jpg
    20230829_191542.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 6

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
So my zero has been completely fine until wildfire smoke got bad here in Washington. We've kept all windows and doors closed, AC on, and an air purifier near the enclosures. I noticed the strange coughing the same day the smoke got bad a few days ago. Then it stopped for a couple days, and has started back the past 2 nights. Thing is, it only happens RIGHT when I turn his lights out. He goes from completely fine to doing the cough motion. I watch him a lot throughout the day, I even have a camera pointed as his enclosure so i can watch while I'm away, absolutely no coughing until the light goes out.

Today, the air quality was good, but he just did it earlier as soon as the lights went out. What's the deal? I worry about a URI but why does this happen in such unison with lights out?

He is eating as usual throughout the day, running around, and pooping. He is a juvenile at this point I believe, and his humidity never goes above 40 during the day. Could a nose plug make it harder for a little one to breathe? I noticed he has at least one, but he wont let me get it out, and it's so tediously small.

Could it be a stress/anger thing? I've seen other suggest that online.

Further info: my adult, who lives in the same room, who I've had for a year has never had any problems, and they have the same setup. (I do keep their view of each other blocked)
Nose shed can make them breath through the mouth- let him get it out on his own - RI's will have more symptoms of wheezing crackling mucous out of nose or mouth and thick saliva - I am not sure why the coughing would start right when lights go out - are you getting the humidity w/ a digital probe hygrometer? Analogs are inaccurate

PriscillaW

Bearded Dragon Egg
Nose shed can make them breath through the mouth- let him get it out on his own - RI's will have more symptoms of wheezing crackling mucous out of nose or mouth and thick saliva - I am not sure why the coughing would start right when lights go out - are you getting the humidity w/ a digital probe hygrometer? Analogs are inaccurate

Yes we did what you said and all 3 dragons have one inside their tanks now. None of them go above 40. He hasn't done it today either. Definitely not seeing or hearing wheezing or mucous/thick saliva. We shall see if he does it tonight when the lights go off.

PriscillaW

Bearded Dragon Egg

Ok so we googled the air quality and they claim the air quality was good today. well, as soon as we opened windows, Lizardino started that coughing motion again and we started to smell smoke. It looked clear outside, but we shut all the windows again and turned back on the AC. He continued to do it off and on for the rest of the evening until he chilled out to go to sleep.

I think we will just do a vet visit to be on the safe side even though I'm very suspicious that it's the wildfires. Also, what humidity level is too high for night time?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ok so we googled the air quality and they claim the air quality was good today. well, as soon as we opened windows, Lizardino started that coughing motion again and we started to smell smoke. It looked clear outside, but we shut all the windows again and turned back on the AC. He continued to do it off and on for the rest of the evening until he chilled out to go to sleep.

I think we will just do a vet visit to be on the safe side even though I'm very suspicious that it's the wildfires. Also, what humidity level is too high for night time?
You want optimal humidity of 45-50% it can get as high as 70 but not over 70 -- I have not heard of anyone getting humidity that high before its come close but not over -- it sounds like your dragon is susceptible or sensitive to dust etc in the air -- I dont know if dragons can get allergies or not - that would be something to ask the vet -- let me flag your post to Tracie shes the vet tech on this board she might know
@Drache613

PriscillaW

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thank you so so much! I've been stressing this hardcore! Humidity is definitely not close to 70 at night.

PriscillaW

Bearded Dragon Egg
You want optimal humidity of 45-50% it can get as high as 70 but not over 70 -- I have not heard of anyone getting humidity that high before its come close but not over -- it sounds like your dragon is susceptible or sensitive to dust etc in the air -- I dont know if dragons can get allergies or not - that would be something to ask the vet -- let me flag your post to Tracie shes the vet tech on this board she might know
@Drache613
Updating you: I gave him some reptiboost last night. Not one cough today that I ever saw, and I was home all day spending lots of time with him. No coughs at lights out either :) Who knows what it was, but I think he will be ok!

Drache613

Hatchling Dragon
Hello,

So sorry about the smoke issues, how horrible for you & your family!
Can you get hold of a nebulizer of some type, to help with doing a
daily treatment for him?
Do you have any type of air filters you could use?
I see that you mentioned he is doing better now? I'm glad to hear he
hasn't been coughing today, I hope he is feeling better!

Tracie

PriscillaW

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello,

So sorry about the smoke issues, how horrible for you & your family!
Can you get hold of a nebulizer of some type, to help with doing a
daily treatment for him?
Do you have any type of air filters you could use?
I see that you mentioned he is doing better now? I'm glad to hear he
hasn't been coughing today, I hope he is feeling better!

Tracie
We have an air filter always running even now when there is no smoke. I will keep in mind a nebulizer if this ever happens again.

After I gave him the repitboost several nights ago, he hasnt coughed since. Not sure if that was a coincidence or if the reptiboost really helped. He running around, eating, and pooping, cough-free :)

I appreciate yours and Sadie's help!