• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Brumation Still?

DeeDeeD

Bearded Dragon Egg
It’s May, should my Dragon still be in brumation? I’m very worried about him. He gets warm baths 2 to 3 times a week & gets EmerAid powder w/calcium powder mix by syringe. Should I be worried?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It’s May, should my Dragon still be in brumation? I’m very worried about him. He gets warm baths 2 to 3 times a week & gets EmerAid powder w/calcium powder mix by syringe. Should I be worried?
How long has he been in brumation? why are you force feeding?

DeeDeeD

Bearded Dragon Egg
It’s been about 4 months that he hasn’t eaten & he feels slightly lighter when I pick him up to bathe him. I know it’s important to keep him hydrated & he actually licks most, not all, of the mixture from the syringe so it’s not a struggle. Elliot is my first beardie & call me crazy but I love him.
How long has he been in brumation? why are you force feeding?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It’s been about 4 months that he hasn’t eaten & he feels slightly lighter when I pick him up to bathe him. I know it’s important to keep him hydrated & he actually licks most, not all, of the mixture from the syringe so it’s not a struggle. Elliot is my first beardie & call me crazy but I love him.
Please get him out of brumation -- turn all his lights on if you have them off --- there is a issue if its 4 months or longer -- please get a weight on him weigh in a kitchen food scale in grams -- keep track - what insect was he eating last -- its good you have kept him hydrated but he needs food now - please go over your surface basking temps those should be taken w/ a digital probe thermometer --- they are the most accurate --- UVB are you using a coil or a long tube fixture --- coils go in domes and are no good!! Inadequate surface basking temps and UVB will simulate brumation ---

DeeDeeD

Bearded Dragon Egg
Please get him out of brumation -- turn all his lights on if you have them off --- there is a issue if its 4 months or longer -- please get a weight on him weigh in a kitchen food scale in grams -- keep track - what insect was he eating last -- its good you have kept him hydrated but he needs food now - please go over your surface basking temps those should be taken w/ a digital probe thermometer --- they are the most accurate --- UVB are you using a coil or a long tube fixture --- coils go in domes and are no good!! Inadequate surface basking temps and UVB will simulate brumation ---
Elliot’s lights are on. I’ll weigh him. He has a long tube fixture. Temperature in cage is 83 on one side & 101 on the other side.

DeeDeeD

Bearded Dragon Egg
He’s also being offered Collard Greens, BokChoy, Dandelions, sometime Kale, butter worms, wax & mealworms. Tried to give him a horn worm & he completed ignored it. Have tried crickets & roaches in the past & he shows no interest.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Elliot’s lights are on. I’ll weigh him. He has a long tube fixture. Temperature in cage is 83 on one side & 101 on the other side.
What brand and bulb for the UVB? How old is the UVB bulb and where is it? Top of screen or inside the tank -- How are you getting the surface basking temps? 101 is ok if hes basking for periods of time under the bulb-- is it a solid clear white bright bulb? No daytime bulbs please-- cool side temp is good -- feed the wax worms sparingly they are real fatty and too many and long term can cause liver issues - have you tried BSFL or silk worms for a staple insect? the butter and meal worms are more for treats --

DeeDeeD

Bearded Dragon Egg
What brand and bulb for the UVB? How old is the UVB bulb and where is it? Top of screen or inside the tank -- How are you getting the surface basking temps? 101 is ok if hes basking for periods of time under the bulb-- is it a solid clear white bright bulb? No daytime bulbs please-- cool side temp is good -- feed the wax worms sparingly they are real fatty and too many and long term can cause liver issues - have you tried BSFL or silk worms for a staple insect? the butter and meal worms are more for treats --
My husband purchased the UVB, it’s Reptisun (T5HO) 10.0 UVB, 34” 39 watt & Inside of tank mounted to the top of the screen. It’s brand new, been in the tank a month or two. We also have reptile UV cards you hold up to the light to see it’s working properly. Tank is 48 inches long,
18” Depth & 18 High. Temp are from halagon bulbs at the end of the fixture 1 -75watt &
1 -50 watt. I’ll try the silk worms too. It’s been an unusual rainy, cool Spring here in NY, could that be the issue also ?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
My husband purchased the UVB, it’s Reptisun (T5HO) 10.0 UVB, 34” 39 watt & Inside of tank mounted to the top of the screen. It’s brand new, been in the tank a month or two. We also have reptile UV cards you hold up to the light to see it’s working properly. Tank is 48 inches long,
18” Depth & 18 High. Temp are from halagon bulbs at the end of the fixture 1 -75watt &
1 -50 watt. I’ll try the silk worms too. It’s been an unusual rainy, cool Spring here in NY, could that be the issue also ?
Please make sure the uvb is 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor - uv cards are inaccurate - a solar meter is best - surface basking temps should be taken w/ digital probe thermometers- those are imperative to his eating- they control digestion

DeeDeeD

Bearded Dragon Egg
Please make sure the uvb is 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor - uv cards are inaccurate - a solar meter is best - surface basking temps should be taken w/ digital probe thermometers- those are imperative to his eating- they control digestion
The thermometer on the basking side is digital & the wire has a probe hanging at the bottom. Ok your advice has been very helpful. I’ll reach out to you & let you know how things go. Thank you so much. I appreciate the time you took to give us your advice.