• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

beardie not eating

jpiotrowicx

Bearded Dragon Egg
Good evening! I recently purchased a baby beardie (6inches in length) and the past few days he hasn’t wanted to eat very much and he just got done shedding so idk if that has something to do with it? his basking spot is around 100-110 and the cooler side of the tank is around 70-75. so i’m not entirely sure what to do any help is appreciated.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Good evening! I recently purchased a baby beardie (6inches in length) and the past few days he hasn’t wanted to eat very much and he just got done shedding so idk if that has something to do with it? his basking spot is around 100-110 and the cooler side of the tank is around 70-75. so i’m not entirely sure what to do any help is appreciated.
Hes going thru relocations stress which is normal but you must have all your lighting correct --- surface basking temps should be 105-110 taking w/ a digital probe thermometer --- analogs are inaccurate - and good UVB long tube fixture there are 3 that are recommended -- NO coils --- this needs to be on par so the dragon can acclimate and get used to his surroundings and this is going to help him do this - if he has quit eating all together something is off - I can post links for a good UVB for you -- but these must be on par for him to adjust

jpiotrowicx

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hes going thru relocations stress which is normal but you must have all your lighting correct --- surface basking temps should be 105-110 taking w/ a digital probe thermometer --- analogs are inaccurate - and good UVB long tube fixture there are 3 that are recommended -- NO coils --- this needs to be on par so the dragon can acclimate and get used to his surroundings and this is going to help him do this - if he has quit eating all together something is off - I can post links for a good UVB for you -- but these must be on par for him to adjust
the surface basking temp is around 120 i checked with a digital probe thermometer. i just got a tube uvb with the 5.0 light bulb but i have the 10.0 coming tomorrow. i also got a heating pad for him so i can hopefully make his basking spot a little cooler while still keeping the tank temp the same.

jpiotrowicx

Bearded Dragon Egg
here’s a pic of his enclosure. he hasn’t eaten in about 5 days.

Attachments

• IMG_0504.jpeg
    IMG_0504.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 12

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
here’s a pic of his enclosure. he hasn’t eaten in about 5 days.
The uvb bulb was changed out now or not yet? Surface basking temp is too hot at 120 it needs to be 105-110 - I need to see the screen on the tank please post a pic from above

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The uvb bulb was changed out now or not yet? Surface basking temp is too hot at 120 it needs to be 105-110 - I need to see the screen on the tank please post a pic from above
What is the brand of the UVB and the length of the fixture

jpiotrowicx

Bearded Dragon Egg
the uvb hasn’t been changed out yet, i’ll throw in a smaller bulb and see if i can get that surface basking temp down a bit.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 10

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
it’s a zoo med one i believe and it’s 14 inches
The fixture needs to be a 24" for a 40 + gallon tank --- and since its a 14" its a T 8 which needs to be unobstructed - NO screen - distance needs to be 6-8 inches directly above the basking decor -- hes not getting enough UVB which will cause him not to eat --- please adjust asap--- the brand is a good one but you need to get a longer fixture - the 24" is a T 5 --- if you have a PetSmart they are carrying Arcadia Pro T 5's - you want a 12% bulb 24 watt ---- if you want to stick w/ the Zoo Med you will probably need to order it I am not sure what is carried in your pet stores -- the Zoo Med fixture will have a 5.0 bulb you want a Reptisun 10.0 bulb --- I can post links for the Zoo Med if you need them and need to order it -- make sure hes hydrated -- watch his poops they will tell you if hes dehydrated - please drop water on his nose or spray him see if he will lick - if he does keep spraying till he stops or moves away --- what are you feeding him? Please get everything on par for him surface basking temps UVB etc ---- he needs to start eating something if only a little bit -- he wont survive long hes too little

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
the uvb hasn’t been changed out yet, i’ll throw in a smaller bulb and see if i can get that surface basking temp down a bit.
Make sure you are using a digital probe thermometer to get the surface basking temps

jpiotrowicx

Bearded Dragon Egg
The fixture needs to be a 24" for a 40 + gallon tank --- and since its a 14" its a T 8 which needs to be unobstructed - NO screen - distance needs to be 6-8 inches directly above the basking decor -- hes not getting enough UVB which will cause him not to eat --- please adjust asap--- the brand is a good one but you need to get a longer fixture - the 24" is a T 5 --- if you have a PetSmart they are carrying Arcadia Pro T 5's - you want a 12% bulb 24 watt ---- if you want to stick w/ the Zoo Med you will probably need to order it I am not sure what is carried in your pet stores -- the Zoo Med fixture will have a 5.0 bulb you want a Reptisun 10.0 bulb --- I can post links for the Zoo Med if you need them and need to order it -- make sure hes hydrated -- watch his poops they will tell you if hes dehydrated - please drop water on his nose or spray him see if he will lick - if he does keep spraying till he stops or moves away --- what are you feeding him? Please get everything on par for him surface basking temps UVB etc ---- he needs to start eating something if only a little bit -- he wont survive long hes too little
the tank is a 20g and if i go any bigger than the 14” it’ll be too long for the tank. i have a 10.0 bulb coming today so i’ll swap that out once it comes. i’ll try to spray him with some water and get him hydrated. he usually would eat dubia roaches and some collared greens.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
the tank is a 20g and if i go any bigger than the 14” it’ll be too long for the tank. i have a 10.0 bulb coming today so i’ll swap that out once it comes. i’ll try to spray him with some water and get him hydrated. he usually would eat dubia roaches and some collared greens.
Hes gonna out grow that tank by the time hes 5 months old --- I would get the 24" fixture now and place it vertically across the tank w/ no screen --- distance 12-15 inches no screen- the 10.0 bulb is a T8 as well they are a fatter bulb than the T 5 which are skinny --- distance is still 6-8 inches w/ no screen --- they are not as strong as the T 5's --- if you look on the bottom of the bulb on the writing it will say T 5 or T 8 --- I can post links for tanks for you I would recommend going to a 120 gallon from the 20 gallon --- here is my set up when I had Blaze he was in a 20 gallon till he was 4 months old

Attachments

• IMG_20190914_084445.jpg
    IMG_20190914_084445.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 6

jpiotrowicx

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hes gonna out grow that tank by the time hes 5 months old --- I would get the 24" fixture now and place it vertically across the tank w/ no screen --- distance 12-15 inches no screen- the 10.0 bulb is a T8 as well they are a fatter bulb than the T 5 which are skinny --- distance is still 6-8 inches w/ no screen --- they are not as strong as the T 5's --- if you look on the bottom of the bulb on the writing it will say T 5 or T 8 --- I can post links for tanks for you I would recommend going to a 120 gallon from the 20 gallon --- here is my set up when I had Blaze he was in a 20 gallon till he was 4 months old
update: the 10.0 bulb got delayed to tomorrow now but i now have the basking temp down to around 92* but he still won’t eat. he’s pooping though so idk if that’s good or not.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
update: the 10.0 bulb got delayed to tomorrow now but i now have the basking temp down to around 92* but he still won’t eat. he’s pooping though so idk if that’s good or not.
See if you can raise the basking temp to 105-110 raise your decor piece closer to the lamp but you dont want it any closer than 6" ---- hes pooping thats good -- get the UVB unobstructed and 6-8 inches above the basking decor -- show me what you ordered for the UVB bulb

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
See if you can raise the basking temp to 105-110 raise your decor piece closer to the lamp but you dont want it any closer than 6" ---- hes pooping thats good -- get the UVB unobstructed and 6-8 inches above the basking decor -- show me what you ordered for the UVB bulb
Update please