• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Bearded dragon toe injury

curlytown

Bearded Dragon Egg
a month ago she was going through a shed and it has been quite low in humidity here so she was having a tough time shedding her toes. as it was like that she was also glass surfing and i believe she injured it as it had like blood blister looking spots under her scales. she ended up shedding the skin after i was soaking in betadine/water solution but ever since it has been more swollen.
the scales are flimsy on her toe and individual scales come off sometimes when i rub her toe.
the vet gave me anti inflammatory meds for a week. i’ve already been to the vet twice within a month for her toes and im looking for help. do we think it’s infected? that’s what i’ve been leaning towards but the way the color is and her scales coming off maybe it’s stuck shed? or is the betadine hurting her scales? any advice ?? i will be going to another vet asap but if anyone has any input?
BD2BFFC3-A601-4191-A3F4-E8FE3420B417.jpeg

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
a month ago she was going through a shed and it has been quite low in humidity here so she was having a tough time shedding her toes. as it was like that she was also glass surfing and i believe she injured it as it had like blood blister looking spots under her scales. she ended up shedding the skin after i was soaking in betadine/water solution but ever since it has been more swollen.
the scales are flimsy on her toe and individual scales come off sometimes when i rub her toe.
the vet gave me anti inflammatory meds for a week. i’ve already been to the vet twice within a month for her toes and im looking for help. do we think it’s infected? that’s what i’ve been leaning towards but the way the color is and her scales coming off maybe it’s stuck shed? or is the betadine hurting her scales? any advice ?? i will be going to another vet asap but if anyone has any input?View attachment 33687
I am gonna flag your post to Tracie - she is a vet tech and can advise on how else to treat -- in the mean time get some raw unfiltered honey on it -- NO crickets in the tank -- we dont want infection to start in -- if your using a hammock in the tank like the green mesh or the grass ones please take it out -- what kind of UVB are you using? this is critical for the healing---- and shedding and everything else w/ the health -- NO coils please
@Drache613
www.arav.org if your in a small town / area type in a bigger cities zip code closest to you

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I heard back from one person I reached out to-- she responded w/ this
It might resolve on it's own, either way it doesn't look too bad. You can seek out a vet if it pains her [ if she limps or acts like it hurts ] or if doesn't get better on it's own.

curlytown

Bearded Dragon Egg
I am gonna flag your post to Tracie - she is a vet tech and can advise on how else to treat -- in the mean time get some raw unfiltered honey on it -- NO crickets in the tank -- we dont want infection to start in -- if your using a hammock in the tank like the green mesh or the grass ones please take it out -- what kind of UVB are you using? this is critical for the healing---- and shedding and everything else w/ the health -- NO coils please
@Drache613
www.arav.org if your in a small town / area type in a bigger cities zip code closest to you
hi i’m using the arcadia T5 D3 12% UVB for her. she’s back to glass surfing after her poop today (she hasn’t glass surfed in weeks!) and i’m stressing about her hurting her toes more! she has a cloth hammock that she took down glass surfing and her tank is pretty much empty right now besides the food bowl and a water dish for the humidity.

curlytown

Bearded Dragon Egg
I heard back from one person I reached out to-- she responded w/ this
It might resolve on it's own, either way it doesn't look too bad. You can seek out a vet if it pains her [ if she limps or acts like it hurts ] or if doesn't get better on it's own.
thank you for reaching out. it seems to hurt her when i run my finger along her toe. she’ll shake her hand really fast to get me off.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
hi i’m using the arcadia T5 D3 12% UVB for her. she’s back to glass surfing after her poop today (she hasn’t glass surfed in weeks!) and i’m stressing about her hurting her toes more! she has a cloth hammock that she took down glass surfing and her tank is pretty much empty right now besides the food bowl and a water dish for the humidity.
the UVB is inside the tank or top of screen - your screen is going to determine where the UVB is placed and distanced -- why did you take the decor pieces out? Tracie is on late at nite - so I am hoping she responds tonite

Drache613

Hatchling Dragon
Hello,

That looks pretty painful for her! Any improvements thus far?
The betadine is perfectly fine to use but don't use it full strength. You can dilute it down to a 1 part
betadine to a 3 parts water so it isn't too dark. It should look like weak tea. Are you putting any type
of ointment on it? You can try some raw, unpasteurized or manuka honey also to put on the toe, too.
Are there any other toes affected, or just that one?

Tracie

curlytown

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello,

That looks pretty painful for her! Any improvements thus far?
The betadine is perfectly fine to use but don't use it full strength. You can dilute it down to a 1 part
betadine to a 3 parts water so it isn't too dark. It should look like weak tea. Are you putting any type
of ointment on it? You can try some raw, unpasteurized or manuka honey also to put on the toe, too.
Are there any other toes affected, or just that one?

Tracie
hi
her other “thumb” has a scale lifted up and it has a yellow hue to it as well as this toe. this is what it looks like right now. i’m not sure if the yellow is an infection, from the betadine solution (i have it watered down), yellow fungus???? she shed some skin off the toe and it kind of like peeled off instead of flaking. the swelling seemed to have gone down tho it’s just the yellowing that’s strange. she’s doing okay otherwise
D5D00635-2FA4-4F22-8C5C-791C4BE744B7.jpeg