• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

BD eye problem

raymoondo

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello all,

Was hoping that someone can help with my daughter's bearded dragon (Jack). We have been to the veterinarian multiple times and have had many tests done. The vet is saying that they are unsure of what can be causing this. They have given us medication for pain and eye drops, they did tests for bacterial infections, fungal infection (yellow spotted fever?), Tuberculosis, and now we are waiting for bloodwork results. One vet believes it might be cancer and the other doesn't think it is. Hoping that someone here might have some suggestions or remedies that we can try.

Thank you everyone

Attachments

• IMG_6098.jpg
    IMG_6098.jpg
    499.6 KB · Views: 14

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hello all,

Was hoping that someone can help with my daughter's bearded dragon (Jack). We have been to the veterinarian multiple times and have had many tests done. The vet is saying that they are unsure of what can be causing this. They have given us medication for pain and eye drops, they did tests for bacterial infections, fungal infection (yellow spotted fever?), Tuberculosis, and now we are waiting for bloodwork results. One vet believes it might be cancer and the other doesn't think it is. Hoping that someone here might have some suggestions or remedies that we can try.

Thank you everyone
Please get some raw filtered honey on it asap- apply a couple times / day and please NO crickets in the tank they will go straight for the eye --- next please tell me what your using for a UVB NO coils they are inadequate and will cause all kinds of health issues thus the eyes --- basking bulb please brand of bulb --- NO daytime bulbs they have a coating on them that causes eye issues --- NO colored bulbs please another thing that causes eye issues once we get this figured out will go from there ---- but please get some honey on it for now it will kill the infection going on here - also what kind of substrate are you using?

raymoondo

Bearded Dragon Egg
Please get some raw filtered honey on it asap- apply a couple times / day and please NO crickets in the tank they will go straight for the eye --- next please tell me what your using for a UVB NO coils they are inadequate and will cause all kinds of health issues thus the eyes --- basking bulb please brand of bulb --- NO daytime bulbs they have a coating on them that causes eye issues --- NO colored bulbs please another thing that causes eye issues once we get this figured out will go from there ---- but please get some honey on it for now it will kill the infection going on here - also what kind of substrate are you using?
Hello,

Thank you so much for the reply. We use a ZooMed Repti Basking Spot lamp 100w. We also use a Zola Desert Series 50 T8 fluorescent bulb 15w. For substrate we use the carpet like material that comes in a roll at Petco.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hello,

Thank you so much for the reply. We use a ZooMed Repti Basking Spot lamp 100w. We also use a Zola Desert Series 50 T8 fluorescent bulb 15w. For substrate we use the carpet like material that comes in a roll at Petco.
Ok so please get this bulb for UVB-- this one is a better quality bulb and could be the issue w/ the eye -- I have never heard of this Zola brand --- Reptisun 10.0 T 8 found at Pet Smart or Petco ---- this needs to be unobstructed NO screen placed directly over the basking decor piece 6-8 inches --- I would recommend you upgrade to a T 5 you will need a new fixture there are 3 of them I can post links for if you want them let me know I will post them --- the carpet I would change out to some textured NON adhesive shelf liner cut to the size of the tank - easy to clean w/ vinegar / water 50-50 wipe down afterwards w/ a wet dish cloth - please start applying the honey and get the UVB changed out then please let me know how its going after that -- if there are still issues then I am going to have Tracie chime in here shes our vet tech - but lets start there

raymoondo

Bearded Dragon Egg
How is the dragon please --- update
We applied the honey to the eye. It’s looking a bit raw.
Also. The vet called us back today and stated from the blood work it looks like he is in kidney failure.

Attachments

• IMG_6131.jpeg
    IMG_6131.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 9

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
We applied the honey to the eye. It’s looking a bit raw.
Also. The vet called us back today and stated from the blood work it looks like he is in kidney failure.
Ok so the eye looks better --- please post the blood work -- I can have Tracie look at it - shes a vet tech on here and is good w/ reading results - I hope not for his sake -- please tell me what your UVB is your using --- is he hydrated? How is he getting water ?
@Drache613

Drache613

Hatchling Dragon
Hello,

How is the eye doing now? Did you post any bloodwork? Bless him, his eye has got to be bothering him.
They are sure he is in kidney failure?
For now, I would try to get oral fluids into him daily in case his kidneys can be helped. Are you able to get
some black or tart cherry juice also to give to him daily?

Tracie