• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Worried about my bearded dragon

gemma

Hatchling Dragon
Looks like I won't be getting one today as none of the shops near me sell them so I have to order one off line :(

Luvthemanimal

Bearded Dragon Veteran
That's what Sucks. If you had access to the halogen bulbs at a store u can easy get one try it see what temps you get. If not right go back get a different Watt one and repeat.

Ordering unless you order a 50, 75, and 100 Watt. Only gives you one shoot.

What is make wattage of your fixture?

gemma

Hatchling Dragon
Not sure of the size of his tank and not sure about the fixture i think it's just a normal light fixture

gemma

Hatchling Dragon
Its all glass apart from the top and ill measure it when ive put my kids in bed and check the light fixture

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
100W Halogen sounds to be really hot, my enclosures are [2x] - 24"W x 36"D x 24"H & [1x] - 48"W x 18"D x 24"H (90 Gal), I use Philips 75W Halogen Floods in the Winter (-20C to -50C outside) & 50W in the Summer time. Really need the size of your enclosure to give any kind of Guess-timate as to what you will need. Be sure that the socket is porcelain or ceramic, they will melt plastic sockets. For the time being & possibly permanently, a clear\white incandescent household bulb will do the job to provide heat. Any white\clear bulb of sufficient wattage strong enough to provide the required temps will work.

These are the ones I use & get them from Home Depot, as mentioned 50W-75W. Check Building Supply or Hardware stores in your area to find the equivalent, if Halogen Floods are to be your choice ...

010_zps44191f45.jpg

If this brand is to be your choice, be sure to get the Halogen & not the Halogena.

Post pics of your setup if you can please.

Last edited:

atochats

Juvenile Dragon
Sorry I fell asleep last night was like after 5 am and I had worked second shift... I took a pic of the ceramic base of my two light fixtures
uploadfromtaptalk1392146629816.jpg
and also on the inside of the dome it should state what the max wattage you can use
uploadfromtaptalk1392146691670.jpg
if you need to order proper supplies online...my best advice is try to get a replacement for whatever it was that burned out on you in the meantime, or worst case is throw in a regular household light bulb. They really dont put off a great deal of heat tho but you'll have to settle until what you order comes in. Dome fixtures with ceramic bases can handle higher wattage bulbs, which is what you want. The site I order from is www.beardeddragons.co

atochats

Juvenile Dragon
Well, too late to edit my last post so here goes...I've not had luck with household light bulbs but that's not to say you won't. So if mine and Germ's posts seem to conflict...listen to Germ, not me ok? I just unscrewed my GE halogen floodlight bulb and it's 90 watts. That's what works for me to get 110F on her basking spot. I dont know why I need such a high wattage, but hey, I had to do what works ;) Oh and that link I posted directs to the site I bought my beardie from...the supply store is simply affiliated with them.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
To clarify: I am not saying that regular household bulbs to be the best choice, just that they will work & have for many for years, just need much higher wattage than if using spot type or Halogens. Use more power, so more expensive to run.

Different ambient room temps, size of enclosure, distance from bulb to basking spot, screen or no screen, screen density, etc, all variables that will affect what works. Every enclosure & setup is different. As has been said, trial & error until you find what works the best for you & your situation to give you the required temps.

So really not conflicting info @atochats ;)

Last edited:

Luvthemanimal

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Nice enclosure.

OK I'd say a 50 - 75watt halogen flood light should get your temp ok. Also once in maybe move over the fixture so its not right against the glass more towards middle of the tank. Since your going to be going to a flood light it will heat an area instead of a spot.

And once you get the UVB u should be good. Make sure UVB is on back wall under your top half in basking area.

Luvthemanimal

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Like this but under the top instead of on top.
uploadfromtaptalk1392151669744.jpg

But when it's under the top you want 10 - 12 inches of space between basking area and UVB.

So have it right against the top of the enclosure

gemma

Hatchling Dragon
Oh so it goes behind the basking light and I cant move the basking light as a hole was cut into the mesh to put the light in

Latest posts