• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What new Morph

Red Ink AUS

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
G'day mates,

What new morph would you guys like to see in BDs (obviously something attainable and not fire breathing) and how much would you be willing to pay for it?

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Red Ink AUS said:
(obviously something attainable and not fire breathing)

Darn....this kinda killed my response. LOL!

Let me see....I'm not sure "darker" as in, dark gray, would be beneficial as it would be more difficult to tell when they're stressed. Lighter has already been done. Yellow's been done. Bright orange has already been done....and red....breeders are about there, if not already and I just haven't seen one.

Blue is just not right.
Purple is something I'd consider unattainable.
Camo is definitely out.
Fuscia is just one of those colors I don't understand (let alone know what color it actually is)

Meds are keeping me from thinking much harder. I'm going to have to get back to you on this one. :D

northface75

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I think it would be cool if the bloodbank dragons actually retained the cool "purplish" colors etc as they got older, not faded to gray, I'd be willing to cough up for something like that.

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I wish that breeders would get back to breeding for size. For the most part its only us hobby breeders that want to produce animals that will break the 20" mark, all the "big mainstream" breeders seem to want to produce compact high color dragons.

NOt sure what I would pay. lol

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
If it were me and I had my "druthers" I'd venture far away from any morph and put my time, energy and money into the acquisition of something not common, such as what you see in the different locations. Color is fine....but it's got too far out of hand.
Tell me Francis........of the well known Austrailian Inland Bearded Dragon, where does the morph Sandfire come from exactly? (note the sarcasm) I believe one of the main problems with this hobby in the US today is that no one can answer that question. That includes me. With the dragons i raise that i can trace generations back for years.........I cannot tell you where they originated, and believe me, I've tried to find out. People want diversity, health and size............yet they think that breeding it back to it's self (essentially incestuous) will ensure those qualities.

Me personally, I'm a species girl, I suppose. I've got Barbata Crosses.......but I'd love to have an actual P. barbata to observe.
What would I pay for it? Alot.

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I would like to see healthier morphs, and dragons in general. I'd love to see the spikey dragons come back in full force and as well as some larger specimens. Of course they would have to have been bred properly (no inbreeding and that nonsense). A darker dragon would be awesome but once again would have to be brought about properly. As for price, I'd pay no more than $250 because I think the overpricing of "morphs" is ridiculous.

Also, I'm with Gina! Give me a pure P. barbata and I'd be happier than a beardie in a roach bin. And I would def pay a high price tag for a healthy barbata.

Red Ink AUS

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
ladyknite said:
Tell me Francis........of the well known Austrailian Inland Bearded Dragon, where does the morph Sandfire come from exactly? (note the sarcasm)

Me personally, I'm a species girl, I suppose. I've got Barbata Crosses.......but I'd love to have an actual P. barbata to observe.
What would I pay for it? Alot.

Sandfire is a "coined" phrase no such location exist, though certain breeders recently here in OZ have been referring to a certain part of WA as "sandfire" region. That term is new and is met with dismissal by most of us. It also only applies to pythons here in OZ as P.vortices's is not endemic to that "region". I suspect that that phrase has creep in to the hobby here due to the influence of the US market. Sadly google bearded dragon and the first few sites you get are "mainstream breeders" site to use Bri's words. So a newbies first exposure to the world of BDs is a world full of fancy morphs. So the origin of the term "Sandfire" is dubious just another breeder starting it.

I kept a P. barbata for a some years outdoors with a trio of eastern BTS in the same pen, personality wise and attitude they are feistier than P. vortices's apart from that no real difference in husbandry requirements. It's funny P. vortices's is the more desired species here due to colour, though I have seen all black P.barbata fetch a high price. You can't give P. barbata away here as nobody wants them. There has been a decline in their popularity and hence their breeding they are starting to become scarce in the market. No doubt when they are rare the demand for them will soon rise again lol.

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
crypticdragons said:
I wish that breeders would get back to breeding for size. For the most part its only us hobby breeders that want to produce animals that will break the 20" mark, all the "big mainstream" breeders seem to want to produce compact high color dragons.

NOt sure what I would pay. lol

I am with Brian here...I want a big monster of a BD.

Stephanie is a Rockstar

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Mine is yellow, bright orange and purplish when she is at her happiest. What type of beardie would that be considered?

I would love to see a Neon beardie. Now that would be awesome!

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Sandra... I have Gemini.
Big and healthy... within the original breed parameters sounds fine.
Janie

Red Ink AUS

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Red Ink AUS said:
It also only applies to pythons here in OZ as P.vortices's is not endemic to that "region".

That's P. vitticeps not "P.vortices's" lol bloody spell check.

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It was all the pollen on your screen, Francis ;)
Just trying to be heeeelpful !
Janie

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Red Ink AUS said:
So now I will ask in your opinion what constitute or is classified as a "morph"?

A morph is any genetic mutation that is purposely reproduced.

I do not consider color traits to constitute a "morph"
The dragon world has a few known morphs
Hypomelanism: lacking darker pigments, accompanied with 20 clear nails. (this "morph" has now begun popping up in captive australian collections)
Translucent: scales being see through. A mutation around 10 years old resulting in skin that is see through and eyes being solid black.
Leather/Smoothie: Lowered expression of spikes on the dermus of the dragon, often with lowered or no side spikes.
Silkback: Super Form of the leatherback gene, lacking the top layer of the skin, 0 scalation, skin carries the same consistancy as a pinkie mouse.

northface75

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
thats exactly what I just asked in the other topic lol. VERY informative brian, thank you.

northface75

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
man...those solid black eyes on translucents are FREAKY. holy crap. they look like friggin aliens. why would you want that?

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
northface75 said:
man...those solid black eyes on translucents are FREAKY. holy crap. they look like friggin aliens. why would you want that?

Because with the translucent line you get extreme and vibrant colors that are appealing to people. Take someone new to the hobby that sees a "boring" dull colored 20+ inch dragon for sale for 150 dollars and in the tank beside it is a 15 inch bright orange dragon with solid black eyes for 220 what dragon do you think they will pick? Human beings, just like any other animal, are drawn to "shiny objects" and that is all I consider a translucent to be, its the "shiny object" of the bearded dragon world.

Red Ink AUS

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Side Q Bri what would you consider as "too big" for a dragon. As you know most of the dragons you have over there dwarf the original form from the land down under ;)

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Red Ink AUS said:
Side Q Bri what would you consider as "too big" for a dragon. As you know most of the dragons you have over there dwarf the original form from the land down under ;)

Im not certain what would be "too" big. The biggest dragon I have ever seen in person was somewere over 1000 grams and 28 inches. And it was a monster. It would come down to splitting your question between too big to keep and too big to breed. I think that 28 inch male i saw a few years ago would have been too big to breed any female I have ever seen. So from a breeding standpoint 26 inches would probably be the biggest. From a pet standpoint Id say 30 inches would be the biggest of course it would require much larger housing and a lot more food than a "normal" dragon. It would also come down to if this "large line" had genetic defects such as enlarged heart disease (a problem that plagues giant dogs) or joint problems due to the enlarged size and mass.

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Red Ink AUS said:
So now I will ask in your opinion what constitute or is classified as a "morph"?
I only refer to morphs when a physical genetic mutation is present like hypos, leathers, silks, trans, hypo trans and dwarf (not the lawsons dragon). The different colors i just call color phases...too many people "create" different colors and its insane to keep up with everything...cant they keep it simple? yellow phase, orange phase, red...blah blah blah

Latest posts