• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Weeks of stressed out dragon

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I changed from a zoo med bask bulb to a house bulb & temps wont go higher than 94
The 75 zoo med bulb stays at 104
I’ve played around with highering & lowering, changing bulbs from 50 to 100 & have never been able to get an ideal range.
will leave it at the 94 for now & see if that make him stop black bearding.
he is in an enclosed PVC now & thats when he stopped eating (6 days ago)
Hes going thru relocation stress --- so hes not eating would be that reason --- ideal basking temps 95-100-- if your using a HH bulb what wattage are you using to get the 94 temp? His beard does not look black to me --- black bearding would be solid black and I mean black
1622657154824.png

2Pacalypse

Juvenile Dragon
Hes going thru relocation stress --- so hes not eating would be that reason --- ideal basking temps 95-100-- if your using a HH bulb what wattage are you using to get the 94 temp? His beard does not look black to me --- black bearding would be solid black and I mean black
View attachment 27495
75 watt & just took out the zoomed 75 which read 104. Ive lowered & highered the basking spot. A 50 watt zoomed even with the spot raised only went to 90
Any higher spot & he could touch the bulb especially with him jumping around sometimes.
He does the dark black beard when he bobs & stomps or when glass surfing but he has been chill with temp being 94/95 for over an hour now but still wont eat.
I asked the vet how would I give meds if he wont eat or drink for me & I will have to force. Yeah right!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
75 watt & just took out the zoomed 75 which read 104. Ive lowered & highered the basking spot. A 50 watt zoomed even with the spot raised only went to 90
Any higher spot & he could touch the bulb especially with him jumping around sometimes.
He does the dark black beard when he bobs & stomps or when glass surfing but he has been chill with temp being 94/95 for over an hour now but still wont eat.
I asked the vet how would I give meds if he wont eat or drink for me & I will have to force. Yeah right!
it sounds like hes hormonal --- try a 60 watt bulb --- see what your getting for temps- but all the changes you keep making to the tank is going to stress him out -- dragons do not like change -- I was going to say if he can see his reflection that would account the for bobbing etc --- but that isnt a issue --- older dragons do not like real hot temps so adjusting the temp is good --- leave him alone and see what he does here in the next week --

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I changed from a zoo med bask bulb to a house bulb & temps wont go higher than 94
The 75 zoo med bulb stays at 104
I’ve played around with highering & lowering, changing bulbs from 50 to 100 & have never been able to get an ideal range.
will leave it at the 94 for now & see if that make him stop black bearding.
he is in an enclosed PVC now & thats when he stopped eating (6 days ago)
U should use the zoomed basking that’s the best heat source. Maybe lower the basking spot or get a raiser to raise the bulb. It’s way too hot in there. 94 is good but best to get it at 96 at least. If he can’t bask he won’t have an appetite and if he does eat with correct temp he needs a few hours of heat to absorb/digest the food and calcium. Also if it’s hot outside place him on your lap or on a Pillow & sit next to him and let him absorb the uvb and heat from the sun for an hour at least or soo. U should always do that in the summer let him absorb and enjoy the heat from the sun a few times or more a week. Plus it will calm him down and don’t leave him alone or he will disappear or get taken by crows/hawks. Also let him exercise and run around yoru home for 20min or so for exercise; monitored of course and make sure nothing is on the floor that he could ingest. They lick & eat anything so be careful....

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
See u are seeing improvement!! The temp was too high. How are u measuring the temp? Get a digital thermometer it’s $10; NOT a stick one and place it on the basking spot under the light & an infrared Gun from Home Depot., u measure an inch away and it’s very accurate with the gun. The stick on thermometer’s are worthless and incorrect. Now let him bask for a few hours then try to feed. Don’t force him., give him a few days or soo. U were roasting him in that 109 Temp. Try to hand feed him a blueberry they love them and get some crickets and Dubia roaches.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
See u are seeing improvement!! The temp was too high. How are u measuring the temp? Get a digital thermometer it’s $10; NOT a stick one and place it on the basking spot under the light & an infrared Gun from Home Depot., u measure an inch away and it’s very accurate with the gun. The stick on thermometer’s are worthless and incorrect. Now let him bask for a few hours then try to feed. Don’t force him., give him a few days or soo. U were roasting him in that 109 Temp. Try to hand feed him a blueberry they love them and get some crickets and Dubia roaches.
Here is the response I got about the adenovirus

Adenovirus is tested either by way of a blood test or a fecal swab via
PCR testing.

2Pacalypse

Juvenile Dragon
Here is the response I got about the adenovirus

Adenovirus is tested either by way of a blood test or a fecal swab via
PCR testing.
Hi, just wanted to update ya on whats been going on. I did weigh him which showed 538 & the bowl was 169 g. Weighed about ten days later & the weight showed the same. He is still active & freaks out still but Ive noticed its not as much nor as frantic anymore.
I have cut out some of the enclosure top & put in heavy duty wide holed fencing so his lighting etc can be put up top like he is used to, put his rubber mat back in as substrate instead of the paper towels. The rubber gave off strong fumes in the enclosed PVC which is why I removed it.
Have been doing 15/20 min electrolyte soaks every other day then letting him hang out on a pillow under a heat lamp & wow today he finally ate 5 pieces of lettuce from my hand so I am stoked.
I reschedule vet appointments every week bcuz Im pretty sure his probs are all from stress & afraid going to the appt would stress him more. He is still active etc so keep making the appt for the following week in case he would turn worse but hopefully eating something today is a turn around for him. Have a rescue lined up in case its needed but wake up everyday hoping today is better.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi, just wanted to update ya on whats been going on. I did weigh him which showed 538 & the bowl was 169 g. Weighed about ten days later & the weight showed the same. He is still active & freaks out still but Ive noticed its not as much nor as frantic anymore.
I have cut out some of the enclosure top & put in heavy duty wide holed fencing so his lighting etc can be put up top like he is used to, put his rubber mat back in as substrate instead of the paper towels. The rubber gave off strong fumes in the enclosed PVC which is why I removed it.
Have been doing 15/20 min electrolyte soaks every other day then letting him hang out on a pillow under a heat lamp & wow today he finally ate 5 pieces of lettuce from my hand so I am stoked.
I reschedule vet appointments every week bcuz Im pretty sure his probs are all from stress & afraid going to the appt would stress him more. He is still active etc so keep making the appt for the following week in case he would turn worse but hopefully eating something today is a turn around for him. Have a rescue lined up in case its needed but wake up everyday hoping today is better.
The heavy screen will block all uvb unless you have it in side tank--- lettuce is no good for food-- no nutrition

2Pacalypse

Juvenile Dragon
The heavy screen will block all uvb unless you have it in side tank--- lettuce is no good for food-- no nutrition
Its not heavy screen, was in the fencing section & kinda looks like what his original screen with the same sized holes too. Will take a pic 2mor to verify with you thats its ok though. I fed Chok Boy lettuce mixed with Turnip greens & yeah its not as great as his Dubia or BSFL which he didn’t want but I would of fed cake & been happy that at least he ate something after not eating anything for over two months. LOL
Hoping 2mor he will eat some protein or at least more of his salad…fingers crossed

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Its not heavy screen, was in the fencing section & kinda looks like what his original screen with the same sized holes too. Will take a pic 2mor to verify with you thats its ok though. I fed Chok Boy lettuce mixed with Turnip greens & yeah its not as great as his Dubia or BSFL which he didn’t want but I would of fed cake & been happy that at least he ate something after not eating anything for over two months. LOL
Hoping 2mor he will eat some protein or at least more of his salad…fingers crossed
Weigh him-- see if he's losing weight- have we talked about testing for parasites?

2Pacalypse

Juvenile Dragon
Weigh him-- see if he's losing weight- have we talked about testing for parasites?
His weight is staying steady & no we didn’t talk parasites bcuz his feces never smelled bad at all but was just thinking of maybe keeping the next appt to test for that if he still is acting up. Yesterday & today he seems to be calming down so hoping all the changes I’ve done to de stress him is working

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
His weight is staying steady & no we didn’t talk parasites bcuz his feces never smelled bad at all but was just thinking of maybe keeping the next appt to test for that if he still is acting up. Yesterday & today he seems to be calming down so hoping all the changes I’ve done to de stress him is working
Get a fecal to the vet--- take one in NO ENEMAS-- they often end in disaster- just to rule it out--- but w/ him not losing weight I kinda doubt he's got them-- I think it's just him and if he's basking and active pooping he will start eating again

2Pacalypse

Juvenile Dragon
Get a fecal to the vet--- take one in NO ENEMAS-- they often end in disaster- just to rule it out--- but w/ him not losing weight I kinda doubt he's got them-- I think it's just him and if he's basking and active pooping he will start eating again
image.jpg

Here is the stuff I put in to hold his lighting. I hope the UVb is fine because I do not want to make any more changes.
I’m not sure what the heck he is doing? Just hanging out I guess

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Should the UVB be 15” or closer?
I would stick w/ the 12-15 " for now its really a wide hole type - he should be able to get enough UVB w/ that open hole type------------- and watch those basking temps ---

Latest posts