• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Urgent advice needed on sick and injured dragon!

EmilySanderson

Bearded Dragon Egg
I found some butternut squash baby food in a shop today. Beardie doesn't seem to lick things off his nose, but if I open his mouth and put small pieces of food in he seems to eat them....I know beardy's only eat until they're full and then stop but if I keep putting food in his mouth will he keep eating it?

I have some baked ham in the fridge. Could I cut that into tiny pieces and feed him that? He really doesn't seem to have the energy to eat by himself, but I don't know if that's because he's only ever been fed on crickets and dried flowers. Yes, DRIED FLOWERS. I don't think he knows what a vegetable looks like.

I put some small pieces of green and red pepper in his food bowl and sprinkled calcium and the critical care all over them. Then I basically just shoved a bit in his mouth and waited until he nommed it. What about meal worms? Can I force feed him those?

Now I have an extremely important question, and I think I know what your advice will be.

My grandmother had a stroke yesterday so I HAVE to go and visit her. My mum can't go and neither can my sister. I've been thinking about this while walking home and as I'm going to be away from early Friday morning until Monday morning, and I can't ask my friends to take Beardie for a few days, not after everything they've already done, so I think my only option is to find out if the vet can take him until .... probably Monday afternoon, around 6pm.

Is this the best thing I can do for him? Put him in yet another strange environment with people he doesn't know - although Beardie is very friendly - where he will get all the proper care he needs? I know it's going to be expensive but I am not going to let him die. Besides, the bill will go to his family in the end. If they can afford to fly from Europe to the US every summer and stay for two months they can afford a damn vet's bill, right?

Also....can beardys have hugs? I feel like Beardie could do with a hug, and I could certainly do with hugging him.

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Keep feeding him green and red peppers for vitamin C. That's a good source of Vitamin C. I wouldn't feed them baked ham. Just chicken or turkey baby food.

Meal worms are too rough on his belly. For him to have those, he has to be really hydrated. You should go with a soft bodied worm- Phoenix worms, live silkworms, and crickets.

Vet would give him treatment in your absence. And I'd buy him from his family so he could have the best life. You give him back with all the lighting, they might not replace any of the lights when they blow or go out. His UVB will have to be replaced every 6 months. The reason he's in this shape is because of the family he has.

EmilySanderson

Bearded Dragon Egg
I read somewhere else online that chicken can be bad for beardys....I do have some cooked chicken which I can tear into small bits and then shove down his throat, because I am not going to let the little bugger die. Not happening.

I keep syringing water into his mouth, and when he starts licking I drip it onto his lips. Seems to be ok for him so far. Yes, he tries to get away HE JUST MOVED HE JUST MOVED BY HIMSELF I AM SO EXCITED RIGHT NOW!!!!! but I just fight him. "You will be hydrated whether you like it or not, Beardie."

He has a black beard a lot of the time. Is that the stress of being unwell, the stress of being force fed, the medicine, all of the aforementioned?

EmilySanderson

Bearded Dragon Egg
Oh! I forgot to mentioned that he went to the toilet today. 95% white urate but hey! He pooped! That's good, right?

EmilySanderson

Bearded Dragon Egg
Sorry for all the replies/questions, but I'm so new to this. How much water does he need to drink every day? I know they're desert creatures so in theory they don't need much but I think I need to give Beardie lots to drink so he can get back to a normal level of hydration.

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It can be if given in excess, but it's necessary for a sick bearded dragon. Sick bearded dragons require more 'babying when sick to get well'. It's good that he's getting water and keep up what you're doing. It seems to be working.

He's stressed out and mad because he's getting what he needs. He'll get over it.

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Sometimes there is no right or wrong answer. There might be multiple right answers. The Blackbeard could because of stress of being unwell of being fed it could be all of everything. The amount of water varies. I'm might get 5Ml into each of my adults. Might not. I agree with Noella – this little guy should be yours. Normally I would say beauty could be alone for a few days – it's kind of a guess with this one. Go with your gut – if you would feel better with him at the vet then take him to the vet. Prayers for your gramma

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Sorry for all the replies/questions, but I'm so new to this. How much water does he need to drink every day? I know they're desert creatures so in theory they don't need much but I think I need to give Beardie lots to drink so he can get back to a normal level of hydration.

No problem. If you're feeding him baby food, he's getting his water from there. If he's fighting you, then he doesn't need any. Try to keep an eye on him at least every hour and offer water then. See if he'll lick it off his nose first. If not, dribble some on his tongue or do it on the side and he should take it if he's thirsty.

Passing urate's good. He's not pooping much because he hasn't ate anything substantial and is eating baby foods.

Luvthemanimal

Bearded Dragon Veteran
2cc a day...... Over doing it can also cause issues..... This is what I had to do with mine figured just keep forcing it down.... Well nope I bloated it. And vet told me I gave to much etc.. And said when forcing fluid no more than 2cc a day

EmilySanderson

Bearded Dragon Egg
How much is 2cc in ml? I have a syringe that does 1ml at a time....

And would Beardie need a little bit to start off with since he's already dehydrated and all the antibiotics could be a little hard on his liver and kidneys?

misskatie

Juvenile Dragon
I would just give beardie baths just let him soak in some warm water in addition to the syringe liquids he will also get water from the baby food and what not you've been using you can also mix the carnivore care with some water until it's to whatever consistency you want and easily sucked up in the syringe

EmilySanderson

Bearded Dragon Egg
So Beardie's family said that they don't think they can afford for him to stay with the vet for a few days while I'm away as one of them just broke his arm (in the USA so that's $1500), but I've emailed the vet clinic asking

1. Will they take him?
2. How much would it cost?

So at least I can let his family know. If it's like €10 a day I'm taking him in. I don't care. If it's something more pricey, like €25 I may have to seriously consider the options.

What would you do?

EmilySanderson

Bearded Dragon Egg
I've found a clinic that can take Beardie for €20 a day, give or take!!! I just have to get my friends to drive me, Beardie, and ALL of his things over. Including his tank.

I am so happy and relieved right now. And Beardie's "mum" has suggested that maybe I can keep Beardie!! But I have to run it by my mum first....

jarich

Bearded Dragon Veteran
While you are having to essentially force feed, its best to stick with just the Critical Care. Do not sprinkle it on things as that would again be dehydrating, mix it up as on the directions and syringe it into its mouth.

Animal proteins are fairly hard to digest and require a great deal of moisture to do so, so skip the baby foods and bugs for now. When it is hydrated and heated properly and eating on its own, then look at going back to mealworms and other bugs.

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I hope she approves. You're taking better care of him/her better.

Marmoset

Hatchling Dragon
From your first post I was thinking that I wished you were going to end up keeping him so I'm glad to hear that the owners are willing to consider it. I hope that you have a long time with reptiles in your future because the hobby needs dedicated and responsible people to balance the few who are grossly negligent and end up on the news bringing bad press to reptile owners:(

Latest posts