• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Still not eating

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
When I have given prickly pear my Izzy wasn't eating much fruit/veggies yet but I think I took out some of them as they kinda mash out anyways when your cutting it into small pieces. The cactus pad I scraped off the nubs of the thorns with the knife she did like that. Can't find them now as they are out of season.

Willtheeman

Hatchling Dragon
When I have given prickly pear my Izzy wasn't eating much fruit/veggies yet but I think I took out some of them as they kinda mash out anyways when your cutting it into small pieces. The cactus pad I scraped off the nubs of the thorns with the knife she did like that. Can't find them now as they are out of season.
That second link gives more info...I hadn't seen that one but I'll look into it...and yeah we still get them here in southern Cali ...pretty much all year round lol I'll give him some pads too hopefully he likes them lol I think I spend more on his lunches than on mine lol! [emoji28]

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
That second link gives more info...I hadn't seen that one but I'll look into it...and yeah we still get them here in southern Cali ...pretty much all year round lol I'll give him some pads too hopefully he likes them lol I think I spend more on his lunches than on mine lol! [emoji28]
hahaha You got that one right!!! I know Izzy eats better than me that's for sure.....On the salad part lol Being that we're in WI I cut up and froze some fruits that I knew we wouldn't have come winter :) but nothing really beats fresh...

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Here's another food link that has been updated recently http://greathousefarm.com/Greathouse-Reptile-Nutrition-List.pdf
I would take out as many seeds as possible. But then again when both of mine were real small I used to peel their strawberries and pick the seeds out of the blueberries! Cactus pad was always a favorite of Dexters when she ate her salad. I used to be able to buy it already scraped and cut, now I can only get it at a specialty store. I used to do a lot of frozen organic fruits in the winter with Dexter (Luci doesn't eat fruit) she really liked the blueberries.

Willtheeman

Hatchling Dragon
Here's another food link that has been updated recently http://greathousefarm.com/Greathouse-Reptile-Nutrition-List.pdf
I would take out as many seeds as possible. But then again when both of mine were real small I used to peel their strawberries and pick the seeds out of the blueberries! Cactus pad was always a favorite of Dexters when she ate her salad. I used to be able to buy it already scraped and cut, now I can only get it at a specialty store. I used to do a lot of frozen organic fruits in the winter with Dexter (Luci doesn't eat fruit) she really liked the blueberries.
Thanks for the link...yeah I think I have seen them at the store already peeled and cut up so imma try that also...he's been good about eating the salads [emoji2] I noticed he doesn't like eating the same bugs too many days in a row lol I fed him dubias three days in a row and today he only ate a few...I threw a couple crickets I had gutloading and he devour them right away lol picky eater I got haha

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Thanks for the link...yeah I think I have seen them at the store already peeled and cut up so imma try that also...he's been good about eating the salads [emoji2] I noticed he doesn't like eating the same bugs too many days in a row lol I fed him dubias three days in a row and today he only ate a few...I threw a couple crickets I had gutloading and he devour them right away lol picky eater I got haha

Oh yes, they are picky eaters! That's why it's good to mix things up a bit with them and give them a variety of bugs and veggies. I've mentioned it in other posts but when I first got Dexter and she was eating her veggies, she would eat them by color. One week she'd devour green things then all the sudden not want them, I'd give her something red like a pepper or a strawberry and she would eat it! It was nerve wracking because I never knew what to buy her because she would change her mind so fast. She loved dandelion leaves and once I brought some home that had red veins in them and she refused them. I went and got some with green veins in it and she ate them, they are the same thing!

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Oh yes, they are picky eaters! That's why it's good to mix things up a bit with them and give them a variety of bugs and veggies. I've mentioned it in other posts but when I first got Dexter and she was eating her veggies, she would eat them by color. One week she'd devour green things then all the sudden not want them, I'd give her something red like a pepper or a strawberry and she would eat it! It was nerve wracking because I never knew what to buy her because she would change her mind so fast. She loved dandelion leaves and once I brought some home that had red veins in them and she refused them. I went and got some with green veins in it and she ate them, they are the same thing!

hahahaha sounds about right lol they crack me up!!

Willtheeman

Hatchling Dragon
Lmao! Now I know what to expect lol I throw a mix of colors in there so he could pick and choose...some leafy greens, three different color peppers, grapes, strawberries, squash, etc w.e floats his boat haha this morning he surprised me! I usually feed him around 7-730 am when I get home from work and I ran out of small dubias so I had only medium-ish sized ones...like 3/4"... And he ate like 14 of them! Where does he fit all of that?!?! Lol at first I only fed him 7 cuz they seemed a little big but he finished him right away so I threw another 7 in there and he ate 6...walked around for a little and finished the last one...which was the largest of the group lol right now he's looking at me like he's ashamed of how much he ate [emoji28] lol I figured he didn't want any more cuz I put another 5 and he didn't touched them lol good thing I get my shipment today ....the way he is eating I might need to start buying in greater amounts thou lol 100 seem like will last less than a week lol

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Lmao! Now I know what to expect lol I throw a mix of colors in there so he could pick and choose...some leafy greens, three different color peppers, grapes, strawberries, squash, etc w.e floats his boat haha this morning he surprised me! I usually feed him around 7-730 am when I get home from work and I ran out of small dubias so I had only medium-ish sized ones...like 3/4"... And he ate like 14 of them! Where does he fit all of that?!?! Lol at first I only fed him 7 cuz they seemed a little big but he finished him right away so I threw another 7 in there and he ate 6...walked around for a little and finished the last one...which was the largest of the group lol right now he's looking at me like he's ashamed of how much he ate [emoji28] lol I figured he didn't want any more cuz I put another 5 and he didn't touched them lol good thing I get my shipment today ....the way he is eating I might need to start buying in greater amounts thou lol 100 seem like will last less than a week lol

Oh yea they have some big appetites!! lol I'm amazed at how many Izzy will put away!! I stand there watching thinking holy cow where is she putting them??!!??!! But they actually have a big beard that stretches pretty good and they swallow pretty quickly :) the nice thing about Dubia's they are edible at all stages of their lives.. Izzy is a juvi and and she is eating off my adult males with no problems...well ok 1 problem she hates the wings :) so I snip the wings off and to keep them from getting out of the bowl the back legs (sigh....the things we do...)
I'm just glad my colony is starting to produce....

Willtheeman

Hatchling Dragon
One thing is I'm not really looking forward to is when he eats adult roaches lol the small ones are sorta cute but the bigger ones not so much lol I just got my shipment and I noticed I need to up the size to medium definitely...I also got some of those cleaning beetles and omg they sent me like 1000 of them lol had to throw some in the superworm bin to eat all the dead ones...which is most of them since rex didn't mind them lol I'm really thinking of starting a colony now so by the time he gets bigger I will have plenty of feeders for him lol

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Lol me too! I can't believe how much I have grown to love my little guy in such a short time...he's a trip

For me I think because they are unique and such interesting critters with large personalities. I was in love with Izzy before I even got her home!! She fascinates me! I look forward to seeing her every day and chilling out watching tv with her sleeping on my chest at night.. :)

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
One thing is I'm not really looking forward to is when he eats adult roaches lol the small ones are sorta cute but the bigger ones not so much lol I just got my shipment and I noticed I need to up the size to medium definitely...I also got some of those cleaning beetles and omg they sent me like 1000 of them lol had to throw some in the superworm bin to eat all the dead ones...which is most of them since rex didn't mind them lol I'm really thinking of starting a colony now so by the time he gets bigger I will have plenty of feeders for him lol

I would start your colony now as they can take quite a few months to start producing! I got my starter colony mid Aug and they just started producing. In the meantime you have to leave the colony alone only going in to give them fresh water and food items like oranges...Temp mid 80's and DARK..I ordered several times before being able to take from my colony...I just sorted mine this afternoon got a bunch more adult males that will be fed off....So I have my colony bin, then I have my feeder bin so I only go into the feeder bin to get meals so not to disturb the colony, then I have a little 5 gal upstairs that keep roaches for the week so I'm not going up and down the stairs everyday...

Willtheeman

Hatchling Dragon
I would start your colony now as they can take quite a few months to start producing! I got my starter colony mid Aug and they just started producing. In the meantime you have to leave the colony alone only going in to give them fresh water and food items like oranges...Temp mid 80's and DARK..I ordered several times before being able to take from my colony...I just sorted mine this afternoon got a bunch more adult males that will be fed off....So I have my colony bin, then I have my feeder bin so I only go into the feeder bin to get meals so not to disturb the colony, then I have a little 5 gal upstairs that keep roaches for the week so I'm not going up and down the stairs everyday...
What would u recommend to keep the temp in the mid 80s? Right now I have my bin with a small heating mat and the temps vary a lot...I keep a portable hearter close so if it's too cold in my room, it provides some heat...I don't have that much space in my room so I need to keep things minimal...would a medium sized heating pad do the work? Or what would u recommend

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
What would u recommend to keep the temp in the mid 80s? Right now I have my bin with a small heating mat and the temps vary a lot...I keep a portable hearter close so if it's too cold in my room, it provides some heat...I don't have that much space in my room so I need to keep things minimal...would a medium sized heating pad do the work? Or what would u recommend

This is the resource I used to get info on how to keep and breed them, I've also ordered from them...just make it work with what you have..

Latest posts