• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Still not eating

Willtheeman

Hatchling Dragon
So its going to be three weeks with my baby Rex and he still not eating [emoji20] he might eat one or two worms a day or nothing at all...I have tried hornworms, waxworms, dubias, crickets and superworms. He also doesn't touch his salads I put in daily or drink the water, although I know that it's not uncommon at such a young age. I'm starting to get concerned cuz I don't know if he still not used to his new home or maybe he was sick when I got him. The temps in his tank and checked at least 4 times a day throughout the whole day and they are in range....I use two probe thermometers and a gun. He does roam around a little and climbs up and down his branch . He drinks water every other day or 2 days when I spray him but idk he still needs more time. From the pics can u guys tell me if he looks too skinny or dehydrated? Sorry about the dusty container...I had him in the tub with all sort of critters to see if he ate and I accidentally opened the wrong side of the calcium container. I have also tried putting food in a critter dish and he looks at it but doesn't eat it either
uploadfromtaptalk1446832282079.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1446832310752.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1446832327637.jpg

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
his eyes dont look sunken - that's an indicator of dehydration. He's tiny - but, he's a baby !! He MAY have been sick when you got him - hard to tell. Ya might want to consider having a fecal (poop test) done to test for parasites. Best to call your vet on that. 3 weeks is long enough for me to be concerned, too. I would think that 3 weeks would be long enough for him to be acclimated. but - they're all different. Tough call --

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Awe he is a tiny baby I would have to agree on the vet check to make sure he's not impacted, full of parasites...Usually at that age they are eating up everything in sight...

Willtheeman

Hatchling Dragon
Yeah maybe he was younger than what they told me when I got him...the pet store seemed reputable and had good reviews to think they'll sell sick pets but I'll make sure I do a poop check....he are right after I posted that so I might have to post more often lol he ate a couple hornworms and a fatty that was on steroids I think lol I'm sure that filled him up ...he seems more active right now so imma try giving him food again....imma see if crickets get his attention today

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
So how's your little one doing today?

Willtheeman

Hatchling Dragon
So how's your little one doing today?
He did a lot better.... Bought some crickets and he went right to them...I didn't dust then thinking he wasn't going to eat them dusted but I'll try tomorrow...he might just not be a fan or anything else I bought lol I wanted to keep him on a dubia heavy diet since I read they're the most nutritious but maybe later on he will be more interested

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yea I would keep trying different sizes of the Dubia's as they really are good for them, even if not right now they live way longer than crickets! and they are edible at all stages of their lives as the BD can bite them all up :)
Glad he is doing better~

Willtheeman

Hatchling Dragon
So I'm super happy today as Rex devoured about 20 crickets lol I let then loose in his tank thou cuz he doesn't seem to like being in a separate container....I placed then in his hammock and he had a hard time getting on so it was funny to watch...I'm so relieved...hopefully he keeps it up and stops being stubborn lol I got some dubias and worms still that he doesn't seem to mind lol

Willtheeman

Hatchling Dragon
Oh and btw I caught him eating veggies yesterday....forgot to mention it....maybe that why he wasn't losing weight or was dehydrated [emoji3] that reminds me I gotta go buy some greens later on....another question...I know when young they eat a lot...so how long after he ate should I feed him again? 6 hours?

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Oh and btw I caught him eating veggies yesterday....forgot to mention it....maybe that why he wasn't losing weight or was dehydrated [emoji3] that reminds me I gotta go buy some greens later on....another question...I know when young they eat a lot...so how long after he ate should I feed him again? 6 hours?

I'm glad to hear that Rex is eating well!! Yes they are eating machines that is for sure!! With babies like him you want to feed 3x a day with the last feeding several hours before they "shut down" for the night to sleep. This way they don't have stuff in their bellies overnight while they can't digest it as easy. My Izzy won't eat in a sep bin either she just stands still and lets the bugs crawl on her only to go to her head and she just closes her eyes and shakes her head.. lol Something to keep in the back of your memory once the crickets get to adult size you want to make sure there are none left in his tank overnight. They are nocturnal insects and will bite a sleeping dragon, this can cause wounds.
Keep offering a variety of greens there are soo many veggies/fruits they are able to eat always good to offer different options each time you buy new greens.

Willtheeman

Hatchling Dragon
I'm glad to hear that Rex is eating well!! Yes they are eating machines that is for sure!! With babies like him you want to feed 3x a day with the last feeding several hours before they "shut down" for the night to sleep. This way they don't have stuff in their bellies overnight while they can't digest it as easy. My Izzy won't eat in a sep bin either she just stands still and lets the bugs crawl on her only to go to her head and she just closes her eyes and shakes her head.. lol Something to keep in the back of your memory once the crickets get to adult size you want to make sure there are none left in his tank overnight. They are nocturnal insects and will bite a sleeping dragon, this can cause wounds.
Keep offering a variety of greens there are soo many veggies/fruits they are able to eat always good to offer different options each time you buy new greens.
Thanks me too! And I'm heading to buy some crickets right now and some greens...I might throw some squash in there and a little fruit to see if he likes it...lucky for me my aunt makes my little niece smashed veggies and stuff and if its something I know Rex could eat, I save a little and throw it on top of his salad. I always thought it just dried up but maybe he munched on it lol and yeah I've read about that...last thing I want is a cricket munching on him...is it safe to leave the small crickets over night in there or should u remove them too?

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thanks me too! And I'm heading to buy some crickets right now and some greens...I might throw some squash in there and a little fruit to see if he likes it...lucky for me my aunt makes my little niece smashed veggies and stuff and if its something I know Rex could eat, I save a little and throw it on top of his salad. I always thought it just dried up but maybe he munched on it lol and yeah I've read about that...last thing I want is a cricket munching on him...is it safe to leave the small crickets over night in there or should u remove them too?

Your probably safe with the tiny crickets as they don't really start nibbling until they are med size

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Your probably safe with the tiny crickets as they don't really start nibbling until they are med size

I used to raise crickets and that's from my experience based on their own cannibalism within their colony... I always error on the safe side but that's just me..

Willtheeman

Hatchling Dragon
I used to raise crickets and that's from my experience based on their own cannibalism within their colony... I always error on the safe side but that's just me..
Oh OK good..I just fed him again and he ate quiet a few again...not as many as the first time but these were a little bigger so I guess it makes it even lol and yeah I would like to raise crickets but the noise and smell make me think twice about it lol

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Oh OK good..I just fed him again and he ate quiet a few again...not as many as the first time but these were a little bigger so I guess it makes it even lol and yeah I would like to raise crickets but the noise and smell make me think twice about it lol

Crickets are a pain in the butt.. I raised them for 5 years (I had a rescued wren that couldn't be released and she ate bugs, however she just passed a month ago) if I can help you in anyway on the raising of them let me know...I cleaned mine every day to everyother so they didn't smell too bad, it's the dead ones that really stink. They also are pretty sensitive to temps/odors/humidity changes..

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I leave my salad in all night so if there are any loose bugs in the tank they will have something to eat. It's mostly wilted and somewhat dry but its still okay.

Willtheeman

Hatchling Dragon
So just a quick update... Rex is back to normal...eating 3 times a day anywhere from 12-20 small crickets each time. Also I have caught him eating his salads a couple times so I'm really happy for that...caught him twice drinking from the water dish but every time I bath him he drinks first and after 10-15 mins he pools and wants to get out the water right away lol he still only interested in crickets thou so its something I wish to change but I'll keep trying small roaches. I wonder why does he look at me so much! Lol when I'm in the room that's all he does and if he's eating hell stop just to stare and me and wait til I'm not looking to resume what he was doing lol

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I wonder why does he look at me so much! Lol when I'm in the room that's all he does and if he's eating hell stop just to stare and me and wait til I'm not looking to resume what he was doing lol
He's interested in seeing what your doing :) Saying "hey whatcha doing???"
Mine likes to stare and watch what we are doing in the living room, I even think she's watched tv. When she dig's on the glass in front of me she want's out so I bring her out and let her run around her cat proof/escape proof room for awhile. But usually she wants to fall asleep on me :) like right now..

Willtheeman

Hatchling Dragon
He's interested in seeing what your doing :) Saying "hey whatcha doing???"
Mine likes to stare and watch what we are doing in the living room, I even think she's watched tv. When she dig's on the glass in front of me she want's out so I bring her out and let her run around her cat proof/escape proof room for awhile. But usually she wants to fall asleep on me :) like right now..
Lol yeah that's what I was thinking...I wanted to ask you...is it OK to give him prickly pear or cactus pear?...I happen to be able to find them frequently in the market and I read its OK to feed it to then daily but I noticed that they have plenty of seeds...should I just take them out? Cuz I noticed he eats his salads more when I put that in

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Lol yeah that's what I was thinking...I wanted to ask you...is it OK to give him prickly pear or cactus pear?...I happen to be able to find them frequently in the market and I read its OK to feed it to then daily but I noticed that they have plenty of seeds...should I just take them out? Cuz I noticed he eats his salads more when I put that in

Yes! do you have the links for good fruits/veggies?

Latest posts