• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

PetSmart & other Pet Store Rants

ThDude

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Well still no word on weather i have the job at petsmart or not, its been a week sense my interview and my friends who work there say they have not had anyone else in for an interview. maybe they are just taking their time.

Pat B

Super Moderator
Well still no word on weather i have the job at petsmart or not, its been a week sense my interview and my friends who work there say they have not had anyone else in for an interview. maybe they are just taking their time.
Well then Dude....this is what you do....call them up and tell them your phone has been acting up and did you try to call blah blah blah....or go in there and ask them when do you start!! good luck....hope you get the job!! so you can take care of all the reptiles and make sure they stay healthy!! :D

ThDude

Bearded Dragon Veteran
the person who interviewed me has not been in when i go for crickets and i know hes not there today. i think tomorrow i may call them

ThDude

Bearded Dragon Veteran
yep, went in there the other day and there was a dead bearded dragon in the tank. i love how well they take care of their animals

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
'Shakes head'. People are so stupid they don't know anything about taking care of reptiles, fish, gerbils, hamsters.

Pat B

Super Moderator
yep, went in there the other day and there was a dead bearded dragon in the tank. i love how well they take care of their animals
That is so damn WRONG!! I am sorry you didn't get the job....you would have been good. If I ever walk into PetSmart and see a dead beardie I would be raising the roof off that building!! 'My' PetSmart hired a new young man....he has 2 beardies and seems to be very caring and passionate about the reptiles....and that is a good thing!!

dragonmel

Bearded Dragon Egg
where I got Tango he was with his sister with a lovely clean encloser. The owner of the
shop loved reptiles and snakes and especially beardies! she had two herself
Big Mamma and I forgot the other ones name it was in 2010. :)
Its sad about the other beardies :( .

BeardieBaby

Juvenile Dragon
I am SUPER angry because I went to a pet store in my area and the woman owns it by herself I think, and she doesn't know what the hell she is doing pardon my language!! She had the tiniest baby bearded dragon I have EVER seen in my life and it won't open it's eyes and she doesn't even have the right stuff in his cage, she has a reptiglo light and she doesn't even have a basking light!!! I went there yesterday to check on it and I told her she needed to get a basking light ASAP and she said she was going to put him in a different cage because all the cages were l inked together with the same type of lighting so she needs to make it separate and I am pissed she even has it when she knows NOTHING about it. I honestly don't know how the little guy has lived this long already under her care! I feel like going back and saying let me take care of it for you until it gets bigger but I honestly can't afford that right now but if I could I would!! I guarantee you if I asked her if I could buy it off her she would let me because she claims shes not selling it to anyone right now because it is too small(which it really is) but she knows nothing!! GRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Kat and I "make the rounds" of the local pet shops at least a couple of days a week...this past couple weeks all of the pet shops have had tiny beardies available...I'm talkin hatchlings ranging from 59-99 bucks a piece..I kid you not that these are the smallest babies I have ever seen offered around here and it both saddens me and angers me that they are pushing these hatchlings onto folks along with the "Bearded Dragon Kits" and they really arent even old enuf to be able to know whether they are healthy or not to begin with.
I truly think that some regulation should be out in place that stipulates a minimum age that reptiles period can be offered for sale. There is regulation of sorts when it comes to the sale of puppies and cats in most places I have been around to prevent them from being taken away from their mothers to early and I am fully aware of the fact that reptiles dont suckle their moms but never the less they should not be sold barely having cracked the egg.
Folks see these lil beauties and get all excited and snatch em up having no clue and most times no expert guidance to help them until after the get home and happen to stumble into our forum for example and scream for help cause the lil baby they have shelled out big bucks for is not old enuf to handle the stress and shock of being housed inadequately in some pet shop and then being shuttled off to someones home who thinks they have all the right stuff they need to take care of this lil creature cause the petshop sold "The Kit" and they set it up and toss the baby in and Oh My Goodness..Hmmmmm...He's just sittin there...And he wont chase after these big ol juicey crickets I got....and he wont touch his salad but they are suppose to have salad and crickets and all this Calcium Dust and stuff...but he just sits there...HELP MY NEW BABY AINT ACTING LIKE A DRAGON!
SMH..Ive seen a lot of tiny babys on here too...seems like more lil bitty ones recently so Im guessing that Dayton,Ohio hasnt cornered the market on hatchling dragon and that the PetShops all over are following suit.
It's saddly not just bearded dragons either..its tiny geckos, snakes, etc..smh
I'm not a Big Government type of person..never have been but...
THERE OUGHTA BE A LAW AGAINST THIS KINDA STUFF.

rant over;)

bouncer36

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Yea they are tiny around here too wesday I got one at petsmart in paducah Kentucky. He/she istiny 41/2 inches long angel weighs 2grams they told me that they he is 3months old more likely 3 weeks old

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hmm. I do my rounds as well. The pet store here's a local pet store and they take 'good' care of their animals. Well, one day, they had some really baby beardies not old enough to sell. They were pretty small and I noticed they didn't sell them until they were about five or six inches. Maybe more. There was one day where they 'forgot to feed the baby beardies.' Since then, they've fed them before or during my visit. They know I'll get onto them if they don't.

I've seen beardies with food that's dried out and I promptly tell them to change their food and water. I wouldn't leave food that's dried out. Allie's veggies don't stay in her tank all day to dry up in the heat. Then I offered my advice to a new beardie owner because the employees didn't know what the heck they were talking about. I showed them and told them what to get. Many employees don't know a thing about gerbils, rats, mice, fish, beardies, turtles, lizards, and birds.

Pat B

Super Moderator
'Everyone' thinks that bearded dragons are such 'cool' pets. The little boogers are a lot of work, not cheapt, and you have to simply know how to care for them. If it weren't for this forum and Germ helping me out (twice on the phone) my little boy would have died instead he is thriving and has the biggest attitude in the world!! He has discovered the world outside his enclosure and loves 'coming out'. He is so nosey and curious about everything....funny to watch. :D

Chris Baez Jr.

Juvenile Dragon
I'm kind of skeptical to place all the blame on the store. I think that there are people out there breeding reptiles and small animals, even exotic tropical fish, as if it were a 'puppy mill', for example. Since, for some of these kinds of animals, the stores depend on independent breeders, rather than a distributor.

I would have to think that there some breeders out there that need to learn a thing or two about ethics, and put the health and well being of the little creatures, before the almighty dollar.

Latest posts