• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

PetSmart & other Pet Store Rants

ravenwolf

Juvenile Dragon
awww they do look pretty small, i do know that some pet shops will have them on display and people can book them but they aren't able to go to a new home until they reach a certain age/weight.

Think its a bad idea though especially in mass produced store chains where you know a little child will go in there looking for a hamster and choose one of these completely on a whim and because it looks cute, then they get ignored :(

CornyLover

Bearded Dragon Egg
It makes me so sad to hear these stories and I honestly can't believe how some of these places haven't been shut down. I work at a chain pet store and honestly, when I started I knew nothing about reptiles so I started lurking on the most informative forums I could find. Using the information I learned, I brought to my manager's attention the things I felt were being done wrong. Our baby corn snakes were being fed once a week (and only being fed portions of a pinkie, one half if they were lucky), had only a tree in the enclosure (plus a water bowl), and we had several die of starvation. Our beardies were in an enclosure that was much too small, and being fed a handful of crickets once a day. Our turtles only had less than a half inch of substrate to live on. Our hermit crabs were very rarely checked on and were living on only sand. Now, at least I can say that no animals were ever put on sand, not that's saying too much considering everything else.

To make a long story short, with our new manager, several department managers were fired or quit and I was able to convince them to move the corns to a larger enclosure with several hides, and now personally feed them whole pinkies every four days. Our beardies were also moved to a much larger enclosure with added vines and accessories to climb on which I made sure to put one under the day time basking bulb and one under the nighttime heat bulb to allow them to regulate their temps. We also now feed them crickets twice a day and provide fresh greens with appropriate sized mealworms at all times. I tried to give the turtles a good amount of substrate so that they could actually dig, but that's one corporate rule that I've yet to be able to get around. Oh, and all animals, including the hermit crabs, get checked on hourly and our crabs are on an appropriate mix of coconut fiber and sand.

This turned out to be much longer than I meant it too, but the point I want to make is that most people who work at pet stores are passionate about animals, but aren't the most informed unless they take the time to educate themselves because the company doesn't provide it. Even with that said, there are co/smart stores that are being run the right way and I applaud people for standing up when this isn't the case. There's also a high turn over rate because of the low wages that they pay, so it's hard to keep good employees.

Oh, and our crickets are bagged when they are asked for so I can guarantee that my customers are getting live crickets and as far as treatment for animals, we use an exotic animal vet that's highly rated even though it's 45 minutes away. If a sick animal isn't immediately removed from the floor and doesn't receive medical attention within 24 hours, the supervisor can loose their job. We are not allowed to diagnose or treat an animal without specific instructions from a vet.

Lastly, thanks for all the information that's available on this site. I use what I've learned (and continue to learn) here on a daily basis.

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Or they just don't care.

I've stopped going into PetLand because they were angry when I started buying 144-250 crickets because I'm trying to save my 10-11 year old car from putting on more miles and I'm trying to save on gas. The manager lost my business because of her attitude and the way she treated her animals and reptiles weren't treated well.

When Petland switched to a different cricket breeder, she started turning her head away from them. (I couldn't get her to eat those crickets.) Before losing my business, the Petland told me they used to use Flukers. (Flukers are the greatest! No dead crickets and they're growing.)

I'll take my business somewhere else from now on.

Pat B

Super Moderator
You are to be commended for standing your ground and 'forcing' management to make changes. You are the exception. I did make a complaint to Petsmart corporate headquarters about the living conditions of bearded dragons at my local store. I even got a call from the store manager....sadly nothing has changed. These teeny tiny creatures are fed DRY dragon food, tiny enclosure and poop everywhere. It is truly sad because these creatures have no one to be their advocate! Keep up the good work and hopefully other pet stores will take heed to your changes....and thank you. :cool:

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I don't really go to Petsmart and I know about the horrible conditions from their breeders. These people aren't humans because if they were human, they would have an ounce of compassion to the other animals in their breeding programs. (It's sickening and horrible what they do to them.) If they took care of their animals, reptiles, and others, they wouldn't be sick, dead, or dying.

I bought a gerbil from a small chain petstore. He lived five years because I took care of him. His mate lived four. They were both from small chain petstores. (I wouldn't dream about buying a gerbil from the major ones.) I rescued Will, a gerbil, who was stressed from his previous owners. (I can't take him out because he's so scared of being handled.) But he does know that he has a loving owner. (He likes the peace and quiet of my room. )

I order crickets from Fluker Farms, Pet Mountain, and Pet Co.

keiferlou

Bearded Dragon Egg
I live an hour from the nearest pet store so I "stock up" on crix when I go to Petsmart. First time I ordered a large number, the girl suggested that every time I need this many (200 every two weeks) and it's not her that helps me, demand multiple baggies and extra per bag to offset any that may die since I have such a drive. And this is what I do. I house them in a 10 gallon tank with screen and they always have fresh fruits/veggies for food and moisture and also because whatever they eat, the lizards essentially eat as well. They stay alive and healthy until eaten. 2 BD's now and I did have a CWD, we go through the crickets, and that's not counting the escapees that my Corgi mix likes to snack on lol! Since this one employee, I've had a good experience with Petsmart crix. Currently switching from crix to dubias tho so I don't have to make that drive. That said, this particular store isn't terrible about how they keep the animals. Its not perfect by any means but I've not seen sick or dead animals *knock on wood* but I also don't go very often either. Another location however, I refuse to go in because the smell alone is enough to knock you off your feet! The Petcos around here are worse. I try to buy online or at the reptile show when I can. There are good and bad stores and good and bad employees at each store.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

Jaycies

Juvenile Dragon
I have got to share this. If this post is in the wrong place please move to where it should go. Anyway, went to PetSmart last week for crix and I always look at the beardies. Well....on this day there were 6 baby beardies and the enclosure was nasty filthy. Food overflowing the container and all over the floor. Food in the water and BIG mealies for these babies to eat. I was so upset I told the cashier that the beardie enclosure needed to be cleaned up. When I got home....fired off a nasty email to their coporate HQ in Canada. So today (Sunday) morning, I get a phone call from the PetSmart manager of this store. He was appalled and I told him the beardies couldn't speak up for themselves so I was. He was going to make sure it didn't happen again....:rolleyes: According to this manager there is quite a check list system that several people have to sign off on. Guess it didn't happen that day. Anyway....I know I did the right thing....and wanted to let you know....speak up if you need to.....thank you all....Pat
I did the same thing with the local Petco here. I had gone in to buy dog food and noticed all kinds of things that were not being taken care of (too numerous to mention here). I wrote Corporate and received a call back from the district rep who was upset to hear that the store was being handled in such a way. He has stayed in touch with me and continued to ask my opinion. I appreciate it and feel I also did the right thing!

Jaycies

Juvenile Dragon
I have got to share this. If this post is in the wrong place please move to where it should go. Anyway, went to PetSmart last week for crix and I always look at the beardies. Well....on this day there were 6 baby beardies and the enclosure was nasty filthy. Food overflowing the container and all over the floor. Food in the water and BIG mealies for these babies to eat. I was so upset I told the cashier that the beardie enclosure needed to be cleaned up. When I got home....fired off a nasty email to their coporate HQ in Canada. So today (Sunday) morning, I get a phone call from the PetSmart manager of this store. He was appalled and I told him the beardies couldn't speak up for themselves so I was. He was going to make sure it didn't happen again....:rolleyes: According to this manager there is quite a check list system that several people have to sign off on. Guess it didn't happen that day. Anyway....I know I did the right thing....and wanted to let you know....speak up if you need to.....thank you all....Pat
I did a similar thing at Petco; the cages were facing the sun which was coming in through the storefront window so you know how hot those cages were. The beardies and geckos were trying their best to get out of the heat but had no place to go. I called and told the district manager the same thing, that this was awful and that they needed to change this right away. He vowed that they would get the screens needed to block the direct sun, the same as the cashiers have that are at the front of the store and thanked me for letting him know. I'll be keeping an eye on the store to be sure things have changed. As Pat said, they can't speak up for themselves so it's my responsibility to do so!

corine milum the

Juvenile Dragon
I'm so annoying in my store ,I check an make comments on a weekly basis to them , they are good caring staff and they do listen an ajust things accordingly, you sometimes feel a pain but as an animal lover I know i wont be able to leave without helpin them . ..All

corine milum the

Juvenile Dragon
I did a similar thing at Petco; the cages were facing the sun which was coming in through the storefront window so you know how hot those cages were. The beardies and geckos were trying their best to get out of the heat but had no place to go. I called and told the district manager the same thing, that this was awful and that they needed to change this right away. He vowed that they would get the screens needed to block the direct sun, the same as the cashiers have that are at the front of the store and thanked me for letting him know. I'll be keeping an eye on the store to be sure things have changed. As Pat said, they can't speak up for themselves so it's my responsibility to do so!

That is so sad glad yr keepin watch on them ...im also glad my country is nt hot ! ! We have opposite problems here tut tut

Latest posts