• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New Baby and questions

Brett

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Well you always taking a chance. Before i knew more about BD I use to feed them all the time, and to be honest never had any issues with them so i'm sure its not common thing but there is a possibility of it happening. But i would push crickets and greens first then at the end of the day if he hasn't eaten offer the meal worms.

ajandj

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
meal worms really shouldn't be fed to babys. It is said that mealworms are still alive when they get to beadies tummy and they will start eating from the inside out. Not sure how true that is but the other reason is that there is something within the mealworms skin that isn't good for beardies. It is recommended that if you do feed them, limit it to 2-3 per week. (IMO - In my opinion) I would remove them and maybe try wax worms,silk worms or supers. But remember nothing bigger than the space between your beadies eyes, otherwise you risk impaction.. What size crickets are you feeding? To get yoda to eat his green, i started out by using dandelion greens and flowers, bokchoy, endive and l added just a little pureed baby apples. By the end of the first week of using the apples and l stopped and he continued to eat his green and we haven't looked back

MWells

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
It amazes me how hard they sleep. When he goes out, he isn't waking up till morning. The first night we had him, my wife though he was dead teh next morning. But then he slowly began to wake and get going. Just amazing.

MWells

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
The guy at Petsmart said they were feeding the large crickets, but they seem a little big. Definitely bigger than the space between his eyes. So I switched to the small ones.

I will take a break from the mealies then. I guess when he gets hungry enough he will eat his crickets.

ajandj

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
MOst of the time petshop workers mean well, but they just don't know. Definately don't feed the large crickets, I've not long swapped to medium size and yoda is 141/2 inches long. If he is pooping, when he is eating. Don't worry if he doesn't eat for a day or two. Yoda went on starvation for 2 weeks. He was eating very little, like for that two weeks he ate maybe 10 crickets and nearly no greens. (he normally eats 4-5 tablespoons of greens a day and 30 crickets twice a day). He shed, then went back to being the little piggy he is.

Brett

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Ya big box stores policies are not very good when it come to the care of there reptiles. My wife is a manager at a big box pet store And because of her allot has changed about how they house and feed there reptiles. In all fairness its not employees fault they feed according to corporate protocol.

ajandj

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
i agree Brett, that's why l said most because of that reason. There are some really good petstores out there and they seem to actually care about their reptiles. But having said that, most of them are in it for the profit margin. Quick in quick out, the less feeding the better because of less overheads. I actually offered to work (for free) in on of our local petstores and because l wanted to change the way they were feeding and what they were feeding, i only lasted a few hours.. .. more fools them..

MWells

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I would have much rather have gone to my local store. The owner there is great and very knowledgable. He is a big snake guy. But the grant was only for the big box stores so I kind of had my hands tied. I knew the minute we got him that the large crickets were too much. That may be why he is shying away from them. He may have had a traumatic experience and is still scared of the crickets. I will swing by there today and see about the super worms. I looked before but all they had was real big ones. He really likes the wax worms but I am being careful to limit those for him. Giving him like 1-2 per week since he isn't eating much else. Once he starts eating better I will cut those back even more. Then again, maybe I need to cut back now. All of this is tougher than throwing my snake a pinkie once a week.

Petsmart had Calciworms but the box of 25 I could only find about 5 or 6 that looked alive.

117star

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
MOst of the time petshop workers mean well, but they just don't know. Definately don't feed the large crickets, I've not long swapped to medium size and yoda is 141/2 inches long. If he is pooping, when he is eating. Don't worry if he doesn't eat for a day or two. Yoda went on starvation for 2 weeks. He was eating very little, like for that two weeks he ate maybe 10 crickets and nearly no greens. (he normally eats 4-5 tablespoons of greens a day and 30 crickets twice a day). He shed, then went back to being the little piggy he is.
30 crix twice a day??? Wow that sounds like a lot. Was that as a baby or now?

ajandj

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
both as baby and now. I used the tiny ones when he was a baby and now, i use mediums, they are between 1/2 inch and 3/4 inch in size. And Yoda gobbles them down. These a big eater, eats 4 -5 tablespoon of greens a day too. I still think he's making up for when he was under fed and under caredfor at the petshop. He's grown heaps and is still growing. put on 106 grams in 3 months..

MWells - what are calciworms?

117star

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Ok, am I doing something wrong? I give Scarlet a combo of 6 Crix and 6 Supers every other day. Plus she always has a bowl of greens and a dish of moist pellets. I can't even imagine her eating 30 Crix every other day, holy hell that's a lot. Am I under feeding her? She is 2 1/2 if that makes a dif.

Brett

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Adults tend to eat more green then protein. Bit each one is different I have one adult male that wont touch insects

Brett

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Do u feed in her enclosure. Feed as much as she can it in 10 to 15 min

richard

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
my adults get greens every day and 10 to 12 supers once every other day. i also supplement with hornworms.

117star

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
my adults get greens every day and 10 to 12 supers once every other day. i also supplement with hornworms.
I went to ReptiCon yesterday and they were selling hornworms. I was going to get some but decided against it as I can not buy them local and I didn't want to tease her. But as far as what I am feeding it sounds like I am on par with you. I was a little worried for a minute.

MWells

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Ok time for an update. I've taken him off the mealies. He still will not eat a cricket. Not sure what the deal is. I wanted to try the dubias, but I am a little worried that it may be a waste of money.

He was still his picky self until today. I dusted about 10 small supers and put them in his food dish this morning. Looked in there at the end of the school day and there was only one left. He was perched up high basking and I could see that he was a little more filled out. I finally got the digital temp probe and it reads 110 right on his basking spot. He also ate some greens today, which is the second time he has gone after those. So I am feeling a little better.

On a side note, the kids absolutely love him. As I predicted, I have some that would sit and watch him all period if I let them. Right now I am using it as a reward.

Latest posts