• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New Baby and questions

MWells

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I have been lurking here for a while. I am a middle school science teacher and love animals. I already have a motley phase corn snake and two rats in my room. I have always wanted a bearded dragon. I found a program that provides grants for teachers so that they can add a pet to their classroom. The only down side is that you have to choose Petsmart or Petco. Our Petsmart is pretty good, much better than the Petco. Last week I received my grant package. I picked up the Zilla bearded dragon kit that comes with the 40 gallon breeder and some lights. I am in the process of building his basking spot, so in the meantime I have a temporary spot for him. the kit comes with the 5.0 coil bulb and a 100 watt basking bulb. I was having trouble getting hi temps up enough, I could only get to about 95. So I went back to Petsmart because the kit comes with a $50 coupon for additional supplies. I was intent on getting the 10.0 tube and fixture, as well as a better basking bulb. But I got talked into the Exo Terra Solar Glo bulb. It says that it provides "optimum" uvb light, but it doesn't give the level. The temps are much better now, but I am concerned that he isn't getting enough UVb.

So, my question is what to do next. Should I just leave it as it is and use the calcium w d3, which by the way is the only thing I have found, or should I go to the 10.0 tube and fixture as I was originally planning and then use the calcium without d3?

Another thing is that he is pooping, but he is not eating very well. He will eat one or two crickets, then becomes very disinterested. I have fed him a couple small mealies just to make sure he is getting something to eat, but even with those he will pounce on a couple, then he is done. I got him to eat a waxworm, but I have only given him one of those. I have greens for him, but he hasn't even come close to those. I will put about 5-6 crickets in his tank, then after about 30 mins take the ones he hasn't eaten out. Those crickets are mean!!!

On the flip side, he has a great temperament. He loves to be held by anybody, and my children (biological, not school) hold him and he just goes right to sleep. He is very active in his aquarium, seems to be sleeping fine and gets up with us in teh morning ready to play. he is about 8 inches overall with a small nip on his tail, but everything else looks good.

We have only had him since Sunday, so is he still getting used to his new home? Will he start to come around and begin eating? I know that I should be careful what I wish for, but I just want him to be healthy and happy. I plan to get a dubia colony started (another great project for my class) but I am reluctant right now with is current eating habits.

No pics right now, I can't get into photobucket at school.

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hello and welcome to BDF!
I haven't used that Solar Glo bulb. I tend to prefer separate UV and heat lamps personally.
Make sure his temps are up and the ambient (non-basking) temp is high enough. He should be more interested in the insects right now than the veggies. Still provide the veggies though.
Also, you should be able to upload photos directly to BDF. If that doesn't work, there are also sites like TinyPic.com

Fliehigh

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hi Mwells

When you use an MVB bulb like the solar glow, you stop giving them D3 and just give them the Calcium without D3. You can stick with that bulb if you like it but personally i like the reptisun 10's better (Yes I have used the Solar glows and found they either gave off too much UVB or not enough with no consistency bulb to bulb).

With regards to his eating it may very well be reloation stress, most dragons go through this when you change their home and some will even go through it if you move something in their home. This can last for a few days and sometimes even a few weeks ( I have seen up to 3 weeks before). One thing you can do to help him aclomate a little faster is:

1) Cover 3 of the 4 sides of the tank with paper so he can't see out or see his reflection. This makes them feel more secure.
2) Limit his handling for the next 3-4 weeks. Let him get use to the fact that the hands coming in the VIV are there to help and not hurt.
3)Make sure you have a good thermometer (Not a stick on but a probe type) and that his basking temp is somewhere between 110 and 120, heat promotes eat! :)

Hope this helps

MWells

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Thanks for the reply. I will stick with the Sun Glo for now then. I will try the paper trick. He does seem to be distracted by his reflection. And now that I think about it that may be the biggest change for him since his viv at Petsmart was closed on three sides and very small, much smaller than the 40 gallon. I put a towel in there and he loves to sit on it, but at night he snuggles next to it. I know I need a better therm, I used a laser thenr to check the surface temp on his perch. Next thing on the list is two probe therm.

He really likes to be held. If I even put my hand in the tank he runs over and jumps on. I really limit out holding to once a day to try and keep him calm, but I iwll cut back on that even if I need to.

Here is a pic.

IMG_0266.jpg

117star

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
OMG he is SO cute. We got our beardie as an adult so we never got to experience her at this size. So, so cute.

MWells

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
The pic doesn't do him justice either. He has some red on his back. My wife has fallen in love, and she is not a reptile person. We got her a leopard gecko on the same program. Now she wants a beardie.

ajandj

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hi ya and welcome!! Not to pick or anything but be real careful holding your little beardie like they.. They jump (l held mine like that and fortunately l was sitting and he jumped into my lap), and they are quick little terrors.
The eating side, if he's pooping, then he's eating. Make sure the crickets are no bigger than the space between his eyes, that goes for all food. Yes crickets are nasty little bugger. If left with your beadie overnight, they may seek revenge and start biting him (there's a thread in here "cricket bites" which shows what can happen}. Always have greens on hand, i stared giving Yoda greens straight away (5 1/2 inches) when l got him and he hasn't looked back. Make sure you offer a good variety. Dandelion greens/leaves, collard greens, carrot top and turnip tops nusturtium leaves and leavers are all great.

Soooo, the last but most important question is........ *drum roll*...... what's his name????

MWells

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
First, I usually have him in my hand more secure. But this time he just latched on and went to sleep like that. i couldn't resist taking a pic.

And as for a name, I am leaning towards Ozzie, but i told my students they could vote on teh name. I plan to bring him to teh classroom over teh weekend, so we should have it named by next week.

ajandj

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Sorry, l hope i didn't offend you. I just know that when l first got Yoda i didn't realise how quick he was and how far he could actually jump.
I like ozzie but then i am one sorry what can l say :). I wanted to take mine to kinder for show and share. My daughter loves Yoda to death and tells everyone about her lizard. But unfortunately due to our laws i can't :(.
Your kids (school) are sooo lucky

MWells

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
No offense at all. Yes we are very lucky. I work at an inner city school so teh more things like this we can expose our kids to the better. They love watching Motley (corn snake) but she doesnt do much outside of feeding day. They are going to flip when I bring him in.

For us in Texas, it really is up to the principal. My wife wanted a ground squirrel but her principal vetoed it. Mine is good with it.

MWells

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
And just to let you know, Yoda is one of teh names on the list to vote for. the list is:

Ozzie
Yoda
Newton (it is a science class)
Spike

We'll see how the vote goes.

117star

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Every time I hear the name Yoda i get a twinge in my heart. I had a Pug for 13 years and his name was Yoda. I think it is a GREAT name!!!!!

ajandj

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
we had a few names
nitro - 11yr old son thought that would be good cause nitro is fast..
rose or jennifer - 5 yr old daughter thinks everything needs to be named rose
fred - but it just didn't suite him
yoda - has stuck and he looks like a yoda

drgnfly2265

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I love the name Yoda for a beardie. I would have used it but I have females. So the youngest is Yaddle. Not a lot of people know of her but she is in I and II for a couple of seconds. She looks just like Yoda, but a female and with brown hair, lol. And Yoda is the one that trained her... Ok, I'll stop my nerdiness now...;)

MWells

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I got his platform finished. It turned out pretty good. And I was able to build a smaller one for my wife's gecko and a new hide for my corn (which she loves). All for about 30 bucks and some time. Ozzie seems to like it too.

b918c378.jpg

MWells

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Here's another. I did clean up the little particles on the carpet too.

b222df12.jpg

MWells

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Also, today he shed. Immediately his appetite picked up a little. I am still a little concerned as he will only eat about 1 cricket a day. He will eat 5-6 meal worms. I haven't seen him eat any greens yet either. He is still pooping at least once a day though.

Brett

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Be Careful with meal worms they have been know to cause impaction there shell is just to hard for a BD to digest.

MWells

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Yeah, I am limiting him to those 5 a day. if he is still hungry he has to get crickets. Is that too many still?

Latest posts