• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Food Problems???????

allen

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
i had just got my baby dragon from the reptile expo about 4 days ago but he will not eat crickets but will gladly eat the salad that i make him.....will this be a problem with his health? I offer crickets smaller than his head but it seems he would rather eat a salad

Bill

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
How big is he what kind of greens is he eating have you tried any other bugs like dubia or silkworms or Phoenix worms

ajandj

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
what bill said. Also, what lighting, heating fo you have, temps and also, has he pooped since you got him home?
oh.. how rude...
WELCOME!!!!

Jaime

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
My little guy was giving me the same exact issue, I was freaking out because I thought he was going to widdle away if he didnt eat his crickets! He was eating maybe 2 a day, but chose his veggies over them. Low and behold he finally started munching on the crickets more and more as time passed, now he up to 6 crickets a day, I offer more but he doesnt take them yet. Ive only had him for a couple of weeks and hes also quite young. Good luck!

allen

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
He has been pooing lately and finishes his salad completely but still no luck with crickets

ajandj

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
well, l look at it as if it were me. I would get pretty sick of the same thing day in day out. I'd need a change. Or mayby one of those pesky crickets didn't go down well.
As long as he is eating green and pooping IMO i don't think you need to worry. He will eat crickets when he is ready

bouncer36

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
i can't seem to get mine to greens at all it eats crickets just fine

Brett

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
babies eat more cricket then greens when they get older that changes dont feed crickets for a few days then offer greens and he will probly eat them

bouncer36

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
thanks petsmart told they won't proply eat veg at this age but im going to keep trying i brought all these veg and none my family will eat them i hope they don't go bad

ajandj

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
thanks petsmart told they won't proply eat veg at this age but im going to keep trying i brought all these veg and none my family will eat them i hope they don't go bad
at what age?. My little yoda started eating greens the day after l got him. He was between 4-6 months old.
The trick with greens is you have to mix it up (so to speak). i have a few different *recipes* l use so Yoda doesn't get bored with the same thing.
Half of Yoda's salad mix comes from my garden and the kids love coming and helping collect it (even the 11 year old boy)
Apple Dandelions, pansy flowers, mint, basil nasturtiums, rocket and strawberries and his favourite. I don't feed these everyday but l do swap and change. Try some of these.
I feed Yoda by hand in the begining. Just a little food on the end of my finger, just watch out for those jaws...:oops:

Jp

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
When they are younger they will favor live food 2 fresh greens. Greens should still b made available but definitely try 2 feed him bugs at least twice a day.

bouncer36

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
i feed it three times a day sheor he seem to eat three or four crickets in the morning and i offer veg at noon and then three or four cricket around 4or5 pm but i never seen her it any veg they stay in untill before bed time then i take them out today i offered sweet pototoas with her or him greens and put her in her or him dish she or he licked the sweet pototoas and walked away
i have read on here that they or suppose to have 30 cricket aday i just don't see that happening she refusing crickets after four of them

Eric sachranienkow

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
i havnt introduced my lily to veggies yet.. shes only 8 weeks on tuesday so yeah! shes eating crickets just fine though, even though when she basking on her "corner" i have to pick her and put her on the sand and then put the crickets in then she'll it... i'll tell you what happens when i intrroduce her to veggies!

bouncer36

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
ok i have had jessie a week today but i worry cause i dont know if she getting enough to eat

Debz

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
My dragon will not eat crickets, I tried for 3 weeks! it's as tho he is scared of them, but he LOVES Dubia roaches!
Your dragon is also just settling in, just might take him a while, every dragon is different, you could try a few things as I did, feed him seperate from his viv, try feeding from tongs, or hand feeding, you will soon get to know what your dragon prefers :eek:) good luck.

Eric sachranienkow

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
lilly refuses to have more then 3 crickets, i will wait an hour and she'll eat another 3. then she will eat no more. if your baby is 1-15 weeks she shouldnt be having exacly 30 crickets a day... lily eats about 12 a day. my last one ( lolly ) wouldnt eat wouldnt poop wouldnt move... so once you put the crickets in watch her to see if she moves to try to eat one.

could you awnser these for me please?

is jessie moving?
does she try to eat?
is she calm when you handle her/him?

Debz

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
the correct basking temp is vital too, normally best to let your dragon bask for a while before feeding, the heat normally gives them a boost of energy then they are ready to chase their food.
Eric was you dragon impacted? what happened to her?

Eric sachranienkow

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
sadly, the vet said she had a parasite... she wasnt doing good... so we had to put her down.. i dont like to talk about it, we got our own little grave for her and everything.. gosh... im so sad right now

Debz

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Eric - sorry to hear about that, was it due to her not basking? the heat helps them digest their food so it doesnt rott in their stomaches and produce parasites, it's ok if you don't want to answer, just it can sometimes help others if you share your story.

Latest posts