• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

concerned!! help ASAP!!

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Great...don't forget the fixture to put it in. The heat bulb is fine...expensive though. Don't replace it when it blows...use regular household bulb.

You said you got the digi....what are the temps on the highest place that he sits (the basking spot)?

The red night light....even if it is cold isn't the best choice. Okay occasionally, but if your house goes below 65* a lot, you might want to think about a heat emitter. This way the red light doesn't interfere with sleeping. But that can wait for another time. Lets get this all straight and him healthy if we can.

Wanda

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
temp in basking area is 100.1 right now

red light interfers with sleeping?? We were told that dragons cant see the red light, which is why we bought it --- so maybe he is just exhausted cause light was preventing him from sleeping?????

Wanda

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
How often do I present him with the blended food? and how much should I give him?? He is happily eating that from me,and staying away and walking around more.... (maybe it is the calm before the storm, but I am taking what I got for now)

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
100.1 in the basking area is not high enough during lights on. The temps need to be 105-110* for him to digest his food properly. Try using a household bulb to bring up the temp. You might need to try a couple different wattages. I wouldn't start this tonight though. Put in a different bulb in the morning, wait 2 hours and see what temp is. Obviously if it goes above 110* it is too high and go with a lower and visa versa.

I would feed him this slurry mix 3x a day. If you start to see that he is getting better, then you can also try popping in a tiny crix to see if he will go for it.

Again, pet stores are notorius for bad information. Tonight, no lights at all. See if that helps.

Wanda

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Thanks!
So he ate a total of 1 oz of the mixture today --- will make better mixture tomorrow...but second time I added the vitamins to it. :)
His eyes have been opened for a few hours and he is walking around...and reponses when I reach for him. :)
Lights going out in 1 hr -- came on late today cause I dont have a timer yet and we over slept. :)

SoleSky

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
It's good to hear that he seems to be doing better. Li seems to have you all taken care of.

Wanda

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hi. :(
Lightning ended up consulting a breeder and a vet and they both said that he is very sick....it sounded like he was having seizures and could possible have a nerological disorder or something worse, and it would cost me over $200 to treat him, and that was guaranteed cause he was so young. So unforuately I couldnt afford to do this.
Sadly, we needed to return Lightning and get a full refund....there was no way I was going to get another one from that store!! The stupid owner looked at Lightning and then took him out back to his "care tank" - then came back and said "I dont know what you are talking about he just immediatly ate a cricket" - I was so mad, cause that is BS - Lightning could barely hold his own strength, there is NO way he jumped after a cricket! Then he showed us the tank with the other dragons, assuming we would just exchange for a new dragon, and they were all just as sleepy as Lightning was...and he thought that was ok at 2pm in the afternoon!!! That on top of everything else made us demand a refund.
I have since contacted the breeder that we showed Lightning to, and he sold us a 5-6 month old very healthy dragon. Showed us how this dragon immediately jumped after crickets and was very alert.
I feel horrible to have had to return lightning to that location,and I hate that people are allowed to put reptiles into these conditions,and not know anything about them before selling them! They really should be stopped. Cant a vet or an animal cruelty place go in and see them like this and demand them to stop??
016.jpg
- new dragon meeting the kids in the bathtub
002-2.jpg

corrine

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Good luck trying to find someone to stop the pet store from keeping his animals they way he does. I have tried on many occasions to get a pet store by me shut down but no one ever wants to help. I literally watched an adult beardie waste away and couldn't find anyone who cared.

Wanda

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I asked the breeder that we got Wonder from to just go in and look at the babies there and see what he thinks --hopefully he can do or say something to them --- it would take small improvements and a little knowledge to make it right.

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yeah, unfortunately the neurological disorder is what I thought. Actually all the money in the world most likely wouldn't have helped him.

This new guy looks great. All the information you got should remain the same.

Feed him 2-3x a day as many crix (dusted with calcium) as he can eat in 10 minutes. All crix should be no bigger than the space between his eyes.

A good variety of greens.

Always wait 2 hours after lights on before feeding.

Temps should be 105*

You still need to get the new uvb. Reptisun 10.0 tube style

No lights at night.

Good luck and keep us updated as to how he is doing. BTW...Name?

Wanda

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
We feed him this morning (8am)and he ate 5 crickets - gave him salad but he isnt touching it. Just now and he wont touch any of the crickets -- is 5 crickets enough for him??

Her name is "Wonder the Super Dragon" (super hero theme -can you tell we have young boys!) :)

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
You just got Wonder recently right? It may be relocation stress. I'm sure in time she will continue to eat more. Just keep offering and keep handling down to a minimum

Wanda

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
She loves to be held,and seems happy...and energic....which is nice!
I gave her crickets - but she just looked at them --- watching them,but seems "full" --- which means I have to play "find the cricket" and return them to their own cage.... :(

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
You can try feeding in a separate bin that way you don't have to drive yourself crazy rounding up loose crickets. You can also get a container like a small litterbox and place that in the enclosure when it's feeding time and place Wonder in it. That would also make it a lil easier on you

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Could just be relocation stress. After giving a first soak to be sure she is well hydrated, I would return her to her tank and just let her be for a couple of day. No taking out of tank, no picking up and no handling of any kind. I know it is hard with young ones, but it is important for her to get adjusted to her location.

At the size and age she is she should be eating at least 15-25 crix 3x a day to start. Probably more as she adjusts.

Again, temps must be proper, which you said they are and the uvb is very important. Beardies although pretty easy to care for, they can be temperamental when it comes to lighting.

Wanda

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Crap -- a bath --- I didnt give her a bath....
She was in the bathtub with the kids introductions,but there wasnt water in it.....
I will do that and then resist the urge to hold her for a few days.....:(

Thanks again!

Latest posts