• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

concerned!! help ASAP!!

Wanda

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Okay...my baby dragon ate mealworms - via advice from pet store...and since has been acting strange.
Barely moving all day - flipping on back ---laying in the bath with head in water barely moving - but waking for moments - jumping and then falling asleep again.
Hasnt eaten anything in 2 days. Sitting in bath now with beard showing and mouth opened wide.
How do I tell if something is wrong because of the mealworm?? What can I do for him????

He is only a baby and I am VERY concerned for him....PLS help asap!

Wanda

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
gave him a 20 min bath and gently rubbed his belly but that didnt seem to matter - he would actually fall asleep on my hand....
is this normal behaviour??

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I asked you some questions in your thread, very sleepy... PLS NEED HELP!!! I don't see that you answered any of the questions. I'll ask them here...but I have to tell you that a beardie who is flipping on his back isn't in good shape. Sounds like it could be a neurological problem. But answer these questions and we can try and figurer things out.

Husbandry Questions

1. Age
2. Basking temps
3. Are they measures with a digital thermometer
4. What % and age uvb
5. What is the substrate
6. What size tank
7. How many/big are the crix you are feeding
8. What greens
9. Are you dusting w/ a multi vitamin and calcium
10. Last poop
11. Last soak
12. How long has he/she been in your home

I know you have already answered some of these, but it is easier all in one spot. The uvb and the temps right now are probably the most important issues.

Wanda

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1. Age --- 12 weeks of age
2. Basking temps - 105-110 F
3. Are they measures with a digital thermometer - exo-terra thermometer - not digital
4. What % and age uvb --UVA sun glo 100w UVB 10.0 26 watt and 75 watt infared red night glo
5. What is the substrate
6. What size tank - 40 gallon tank
7. How many/big are the crix you are feeding - he has had mealworms, (recommended by store), and nothing since which was 2 days ago
8. What greens - roman lettuce and carrots
9. Are you dusting w/ a multi vitamin and calcium -- yes
10. Last poop - small poop this afternoon
11. Last soak - two this evening cause we thought maybe he had a blockage, and other then those baths - last one was 2 days ago
12. How long has he/she been in your home - 6 days

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
K..Your temps are fine, but they are probably wrong. If you aren't using a digital thermometer or a temp gun, then can be 20* off. You can get a digi at Kmart, Walmart, Target or a DIY. This is very important.

You said a 10.0. It is a repti sun or a repti glo. Also..no night light needed at all. It interrupts their sleep. As long as the temp in your house stays above 65* at night you are fine.

Mealies are awful for beardies. Don't forget, petstores just want to sell. They don't normally give correct information. You should be feeding tiny crix, no bigger than the space between his eyes. If all is well he should be eating 2-3 x a day as many as he can in 10 minutes. At this age that can be 25-50 give or take.

Greens...the lettuce and carrots you are giving are a good nutritional value. Dandelion, escarole, boy choy, swiss chard, escarole are some good ones to start with. Carrot only occasionally.

Soaking is always good. It can never hurt. If he has a blockage and not an impaction the soaking should help move things along. Warm, not too hot is good. Make sure it isn't too high for him.

K...now for the news that isn't great...the other thread you said he was flipping onto his back. That is never a good sign. Chances are he has a neurological problem and that is what is causing the lack of eating and staying awake. Still follow the changes suggested and answer the other questions asked, but I definitely would go to the petstore and check with them. Ask them if any of their other beardies are having this problem. You might also want to prepare for the realization that this guy might not make it. Check with teh store about their policies.

A breeder is always the best way to buy a beardie. Don't get me wrong...many of us have also made the mistake of buying for a petstore before really knowing what's what. Just so you are aware, there are a few breeders right on the forum.

I know this really sucks and isn't the news you wanted to hear. Things could work out, but I really just want you to be prepared.

Beardie_Mommy3991

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Thank you Li. I was going crazy just looking at this post as no one answered it, and knowing I had no idea how to help. :) I hope that your little one pulls through Wanda.

Wanda

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I have learned one valuable lesson - regardless of what happens with lightning --- I HATE pet stores!!!!!

He seems to be doing sumersaults --- flipping back on his own afterwards --- is that just as bad?

will get digital right away....

Got small crickets tonight, but he wouldnt eat - just let them crawl over him - but wouldnt eat,just kept eyes closed.

Wanda

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Beardie_Mommy3991 said:
Thank you Li. I was going crazy just looking at this post as no one answered it, and knowing I had no idea how to help. :) I hope that your little one pulls through Wanda.

Thanks - I was going crazy too!

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yeah Wanda...not looking good. I would go to the pet store tomorrow and tell them that you want your money back. I know it sounds cruel, but there really isnt anything you can do. I also wouldn't get another one from the petstore. That is just my opinion though. For the price you pay, you can get one for a breeder for not a whole lot more money, and I know that you will definitely get a better quality beardie than you will at the petstore. I am really sorry you are having to go through this.

If you do want to go ahead to try again, you definitely will need the digital thermometer.

I would also like to go over all your husbandry piece by piece before you start again. Also, before getting another, I would completely take apart the tank and sterilize everything, just in case.

Beardie_Mommy3991

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Keep trying. :) We wont know how things will turn out until the very end. Keep lovin on him and don't give up on him until his last breath. k? Not saying do tons of expensive things, but just give him love.

Wanda

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
he is sleeping now, and in a normal position.
Guess I will wait till morning and see if he eats --- I just feel cruel to give up on him....he is just a baby.....

Wanda

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
He is a "special" dragon --- missing one of his front paws - could that effect his balance?? Apparently he was with his Mom too long,and one was eaten.

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I know it is very hard. You can try. Shut down his lights tonight. Everything off so the temps drop. As long as your house stays above 65* you are good.

Tomorrow turn on his heat light and his uvb (btw, repti sun or repti glo 10.0)? Get the digital thermometer as soon as you can. Get one with a probe. Put the probe on the highest spot he goes nearest the heat light. That will give you the basking temp. You want that to be 105-110*.

Get him nice and warm before trying to feed. At least 2 hours of warming up. Make sure you don't feed mealies. Get some crix...very small. No bigger than the space between his eyes. Feed him slowly, if he will eat.

Let us know tomorrow how he is doing.

I am sorry. It doesn't always go like this when getting a baby beardie. But unforunately it isn't that uncommon either. Pet stores mass sell these guys and they aren't always healthy.

Not having a foot could effect his balance a little. Not enough to make him flip.

Latest posts