• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Brumation or sickness?

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
He is 4 and I know what to feed him :) I replaced all the bulbs recently. Here we only have crickets so that’s the only live food he eats.
4 mnth old or 4yrs old? We reacue and rehome so always happy to help. And remember reoslve the UVB every 6Mnths religiously. Remove all
Food and water at bedtime. And never ever use colored or coiled bulbs::)

Morrisnfia2

Hatchling Dragon
4 mnth old or 4yrs old? We reacue and rehome so always happy to help. And remember reoslve the UVB every 6Mnths religiously. Remove all
Food and water at bedtime. And never ever use colored or coiled bulbs::)
4 years old. Never had any problems with any of this until a month ago.

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
4 years old. Never had any problems with any of this until a month ago.
Have u replaced the UVB every “6” mnths? And are I using the correct UVb? Long tube Reptisun 10.0 T5 the length U order should cover 70 percent of the tank? Secondly is his poop firm or runny? If runny he has a parasite more than likely and it’s destroying him. Get a fecal test done at a good reptile vet & he will need antibiotics and everything sanitized. Always remove all food and water at nite & keep the tank super duper clean. No chemicals it’s very harmful for them to breathe it. Clean the tank woth hot water and vinegar but let it air oit and burn in hot water or to be safe order chlorojexadine and mix with water from Amazon/Carolina cages. If he’s gaping or making bubbling noises That’s an Upper respiratory infection he needs a vet ASAP and no baths till that’s cured and when bathing him never get water in his ears and water level should only be up to his knees and don’t take him outside unless it’s hot/sunny. Lastly have we been sprinkling the calcium powder once per day 3-4 times per week??? That’s important too and finally make sure the temps are accurate and he’s able to bask in the summer it gets deadly so yoi either have to raise the heat lamp or lower the basking platform get a lower one. For heat use once the zoomed clear basking bulb. Never ever use colored or coiled bulbs and all lights off at nite.

Morrisnfia2

Hatchling Dragon
Have u replaced the UVB every “6” mnths? And are I using the correct UVb? Long tube Reptisun 10.0 T5 the length U order should cover 70 percent of the tank? Secondly is his poop firm or runny? If runny he has a parasite more than likely and it’s destroying him. Get a fecal test done at a good reptile vet & he will need antibiotics and everything sanitized. Always remove all food and water at nite & keep the tank super duper clean. No chemicals it’s very harmful for them to breathe it. Clean the tank woth hot water and vinegar but let it air oit and burn in hot water or to be safe order chlorojexadine and mix with water from Amazon/Carolina cages. If he’s gaping or making bubbling noises That’s an Upper respiratory infection he needs a vet ASAP and no baths till that’s cured and when bathing him never get water in his ears and water level should only be up to his knees and don’t take him outside unless it’s hot/sunny. Lastly have we been sprinkling the calcium powder once per day 3-4 times per week??? That’s important too and finally make sure the temps are accurate and he’s able to bask in the summer it gets deadly so yoi either have to raise the heat lamp or lower the basking platform get a lower one. For heat use once the zoomed clear basking bulb. Never ever use colored or coiled bulbs and all lights off at nite.
I just replaced the uvb and I’m using a t8 I think. It was the only one they had at the pet store here. His poop is actually not runny, looks the same as usual however he just doesn’t poop as often. And no weird noises. And I alway give him calcium and vitamins every other day. And the basking spot temp is about 35-38. However when I came home the other day I saw him hiding in his little shelter as if he was going to sleep. The temperature there is about 20 degrees. So I put a heat mat there cuz maybe it’s too cold so he wants to brumate? Now it’s about 26 there and 21 on the cooler side. He eat a lot more now however not on his own. Only through hand feeding. He doesn’t seem interested in his food bowl at all.

Morrisnfia2

Hatchling Dragon
He looks very sleepy

Attachments

• 660D09B1-E9F6-4E97-A5D4-DAF913C1B5A7.jpeg
    660D09B1-E9F6-4E97-A5D4-DAF913C1B5A7.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 13

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I just replaced the uvb and I’m using a t8 I think. It was the only one they had at the pet store here. His poop is actually not runny, looks the same as usual however he just doesn’t poop as often. And no weird noises. And I alway give him calcium and vitamins every other day. And the basking spot temp is about 35-38. However when I came home the other day I saw him hiding in his little shelter as if he was going to sleep. The temperature there is about 20 degrees. So I put a heat mat there cuz maybe it’s too cold so he wants to brumate? Now it’s about 26 there and 21 on the cooler side. He eat a lot more now however not on his own. Only through hand feeding. He doesn’t seem interested in his food bowl at all.
Basking temps should be 95-100 F for a adult bearded dragon - cool side of the tank 80 F on the cool side of the tank tanks at nite 65 F - 75 F -- your dragon is trying to brumate w/ the cool temps - also the UVB for a T 8 should be 6-8 inches directly above the basking decor piece and UNUBSTRUCTED- NO screen please and NO cover over the bulb if there is a clear plastic cover over the bulb take it off -- another reason for the behavior hes exhibiting temps should be taking w/ a digital probe thermometer for basking -- stick ons are ok for ambient temp

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hi; Remove the Heat mat it burns them. They can’t feel heat underneath. Give him a lukewarm bath make sure the water is a sliver above cold water; semi warm; is what lukewarm is; in dechlorinated water for 15min minimum and rub his tummy gently downwards that will get him to poop. Buy reptisafe to remove the chlorine if u don’t have a filter system. The Reptisun T8 is the only one petco and Petsmart sells so u have to order online; also is it a 5.0 or a 10.0? The 5.0 gives off little to NO UVB so that is the problem & the T8 is not as bright as the T5; they need light and bright to thrive. I promise you the UVB is the issue. Please order the Reptisun 10.0 T5 with the holder asap and always replace it every 6mntjs. Amazon, wallmart or a specialty pet store like a unique one will have this UVB. Without proper UVB he will get MBD; Google it it’s deadly. Also check the temp with a gun and digital themmoter; the others are not accurate. Use the zoomed clear bulb for heat; if he can’t bask or get proper uvb he can’t move, walk or eat. The Exxotera brand heat bulb doesn’t get hot enuff so it’s not recommended. Please double check the temps Thruought the day to get it correct. Also, Typically some Beardies who do brumate, do it in the winter months because they have less energy in the winter. Also what is the humidity? It should be 30-40; never higher than 40, u need a digital round hygrometer from Petsmart. Also do u have a digital thermometer? And an infrared gun u can get the gun from Home Depot. Seems like it’s too hot that’s why he’s not basking. Both UVb and heat should remain on for 10-12 hours in the winter and 12-14 in the summer and if hes brumating u still leave the lights on and provide food/water & bathe him once a week. When he’s not brumating, do bathes twice per week and more when shedding. Are u feeding bottled or dried food or mealworms? Those are horrible for Beardies, if so stop feeding those asap. Feed crickets and Dubias for proteins and u can do some hornworms and superworms which are very good to but in moderation cuz they are high in fat. For veggies & greens; never do spinach because it binds to calcium & never do carrots except once in a blue moon or never because they have vitamin A which is toxic to a beardie. Salads offer no nutrition excerpt water. The best everyday ones are: mustard greens, yellow squash they have lots of calcium, collard Greens, butternut squash, endives, snap peas, & Green beans. Do 2-4 kinds everyday and cut them up so the food items are smaller than the space between his 2 eyes. Fruits u can give as treats a few times a week; mangoes, blueberries and papaya u may do some apples & bananas ocassionaly.

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
He looks very sleepy
Remove the sand asap they ingest it. Also u need a bigger tank and a proper hideaway. Look at my tank u can place a hammock behind the basking spot with a soft cloth on top and a fleec blanket underneath so he’s comfy and can hide or get a basking platform that’s big Enuff with a hideaway underneath. He’s 4 years old get the log out and and get him soemthign comfy they love soft fleece. Use terry cloths or paper towels as a substrate. It’s compacted in their with no room to move. Here’s a photo of a tank example.

Attachments

• 25F4E307-5EB9-4C58-A1DA-0EA805BEEE31.jpeg
    25F4E307-5EB9-4C58-A1DA-0EA805BEEE31.jpeg
    748.4 KB · Views: 10
  • FA078353-FB18-4059-80F5-6953EFF67FFF.jpeg
    FA078353-FB18-4059-80F5-6953EFF67FFF.jpeg
    796.5 KB · Views: 7
  • A61E9817-0793-4222-B6FB-BE31F5CD9B9F.jpeg
    A61E9817-0793-4222-B6FB-BE31F5CD9B9F.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 5
  • B9E1669E-5B3F-4B8C-A532-81ED6F02DC73.jpeg
    B9E1669E-5B3F-4B8C-A532-81ED6F02DC73.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 4
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 5

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
I do agree with most of what was said above, get rid of the heat matt, dragons don’t benefit from heat below, sorry we’re bombarding you with info, we try to give as much as we dont know most peoples experiences with reptiles

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Thats a thermometer right? It looks like a hydrometer to me ._. ….
U need a hygometer & thermometer but it need to be outside of the tank only the probe inside the tank!! Here is a photo Amd an infrared gun.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 5
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 5
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 3
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 5
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 8

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Basking temps should be 95-100 F for a adult bearded dragon - cool side of the tank 80 F on the cool side of the tank tanks at nite 65 F - 75 F -- your dragon is trying to brumate w/ the cool temps - also the UVB for a T 8 should be 6-8 inches directly above the basking decor piece and UNUBSTRUCTED- NO screen please and NO cover over the bulb if there is a clear plastic cover over the bulb take it off -- another reason for the behavior hes exhibiting temps should be taking w/ a digital probe thermometer for basking -- stick ons are ok for ambient temp
Sadie the Uvb light needs to be 10inches minimum or more away from the Beardie. Also his temp is on the floor; the probe should be on the basking spot & the temp gauge outside of the cage. So the Beardie is roasting because heat rises and it’s actually way hotter at the top of that log!!!

Morrisnfia2

Hatchling Dragon
Sadie the Uvb light needs to be 10inches minimum or more away from the Beardie. Also his temp is on the floor; the probe should be on the basking spot & the temp gauge outside of the cage. So the Beardie is roasting because heat rises and it’s actually way hotter at the top of that log!!!
Oh yes I know. That was just to show the heat in the hideaway

Morrisnfia2

Hatchling Dragon
I removed the sand and deep cleaned the tank. I have regular cloth now. Is it fine ?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 4

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I removed the sand and deep cleaned the tank. I have regular cloth now. Is it fine ?
Yes looks gr8. Try to arrange the towels more flat/neatly & if u over towel it raises the humidity sometimes so keep an eye on the humidity on her basking spot & hideaway where she spends most of her time. U can even do half paper towels & half white terry cloths. Looks alot better now & get him a round log for the back center or front center of the cage to prop up on when he wants a lower temp and try and get the woven hammock & place a soft cloth up top so he has a hideaway. He needs to have a hideaway big Enuff for him/his body. They have basking caves like mine that are good too. Also make sure your basking platform gets the rite heat/temp for him it takes 2 hours sometimes to reach the desired heat. But check it thruout the day and if u need a higher basking spot get him one u can always return things; they give y store credit at anytime without a receipt. Beardies like to be high up not low to the ground. So lastly get the Reptisun 10.0 T5 asap and place his veggie/greens bowl and water dish in the cold side and his hideaway cave and u will see a big improvement. Also, it takes 2 hours to digest food so always make sure u don’t feed too late and if u do, both the Uvb and heat lamp need to remain on for 2hours. General rule is try to keep the same feeding times if possible. Oh & mist him a few times a day with water;) also get a fake green plant and maybe some wall paper to cover the left and rigtht side of the tank so he’s not stressed with his reflection Oh and they love to watch tv. I keep my tv on all day on soft mellow shows that’s their entertainment is movement and greenery in their tank;) Here’s some photos of the log, cave, veggie plates wtc. And if u find this LLeage lounge pillows at petco get them ask & show them pics and a fleece blanket small one for him. Here’s the basking platform/hideaway and my hammock is placed behind my basking platform; one of mone loves to lounge on the hammock but doesn’t hide under it she uses the cave to hide under and my other Beardie is huge so she hides/lounges and gets away from the Uvb under her hammock. Always remove all food and water and crumbs at nite before bedtime also.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 5
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 3
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 4

Morrisnfia2

Hatchling Dragon
Yes looks gr8. Try to arrange the towels more flat/neatly & if u over towel it raises the humidity sometimes so keep an eye on the humidity on her basking spot & hideaway where she spends most of her time. U can even do half paper towels & half white terry cloths. Looks alot better now & get him a round log for the back center or front center of the cage to prop up on when he wants a lower temp and try and get the woven hammock & place a soft cloth up top so he has a hideaway. He needs to have a hideaway big Enuff for him/his body. They have basking caves like mine that are good too. Also make sure your basking platform gets the rite heat/temp for him it takes 2 hours sometimes to reach the desired heat. But check it thruout the day and if u need a higher basking spot get him one u can always return things; they give y store credit at anytime without a receipt. Beardies like to be high up not low to the ground. So lastly get the Reptisun 10.0 T5 asap and place his veggie/greens bowl and water dish in the cold side and his hideaway cave and u will see a big improvement. Also, it takes 2 hours to digest food so always make sure u don’t feed too late and if u do, both the Uvb and heat lamp need to remain on for 2hours. General rule is try to keep the same feeding times if possible. Oh & mist him a few times a day with water;) also get a fake green plant and maybe some wall paper to cover the left and rigtht side of the tank so he’s not stressed with his reflection Oh and they love to watch tv. I keep my tv on all day on soft mellow shows that’s their entertainment is movement and greenery in their tank;) Here’s some photos of the log, cave, veggie plates wtc. And if u find this LLeage lounge pillows at petco get them ask & show them pics and a fleece blanket small one for him. Here’s the basking platform/hideaway and my hammock is placed behind my basking platform; one of mone loves to lounge on the hammock but doesn’t hide under it she uses the cave to hide under and my other Beardie is huge so she hides/lounges and gets away from the Uvb under her hammock. Always remove all food and water and crumbs at nite before bedtime also.
This is my temporary Set up. I’ll try to get a hammock tomorrow. Also I’m still looking for a bigger tank but it’s not that easy... at least not an affordable one :( so I did not quite understand, is the uvb placement good or not? I have the 10.0 t8 and understood that it is fine as long as it’s closer to him?? I have no idea where to get the t5. I don’t live in America and the t8 is the only one I’ve seen so far!

Attachments

• 55E89D9C-E90E-4673-AFEA-CE30947E8964.jpeg
    55E89D9C-E90E-4673-AFEA-CE30947E8964.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 3
  • A40D82CD-2558-4DA6-94C5-793ECA32A8FF.jpeg
    A40D82CD-2558-4DA6-94C5-793ECA32A8FF.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 3

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
This is my temporary Set up. I’ll try to get a hammock tomorrow. Also I’m still looking for a bigger tank but it’s not that easy... at least not an affordable one :( so I did not quite understand, is the uvb placement good or not? I have the 10.0 t8 and understood that it is fine as long as it’s closer to him?? I have no idea where to get the t5. I don’t live in America and the t8 is the only one I’ve seen so far!
YES the T8 is fine since you have it inside the tank. Always replace it every 6Mnths; set a timer alert reminder in your phone so u know when it’s time to buy a new one. And Yes get a hammock u can order it online from Petsmart. Make sure the UVB is 7inches or so away from him. He shouldn’t be too much closer than that. And Def a hideaway or make a hideaway under his hammock. He has to be able to hide and lounge when he wants away form the Uvb and wants a cooler temp. Also the heat bulb is tilted; u can’t get it to be directly above him looking down. If u are getting the rite temp then it’s ok. Also don’t forget his veggie/green dish everyday and replace when it gets wilted place it in the corner of the cold side so it stays fresh longer. And of course his proteins every other day. He looks happier; am I rite?

Morrisnfia2

Hatchling Dragon
YES the T8 is fine since you have it inside the tank. Always replace it every 6Mnths; set a timer alert reminder in your phone so u know when it’s time to buy a new one. And Yes get a hammock u can order it online from Petsmart. Make sure the UVB is 7inches or so away from him. He shouldn’t be too much closer than that. And Def a hideaway or make a hideaway under his hammock. He has to be able to hide and lounge when he wants away form the Uvb and wants a cooler temp. Also the heat bulb is tilted; u can’t get it to be directly above him looking down. If u are getting the rite temp then it’s ok. Also don’t forget his veggie/green dish everyday and replace when it gets wilted place it in the corner of the cold side so it stays fresh longer. And of course his proteins every other day. He looks happier; am I rite?
Yeah it’s tilted and I am trying to get the right temp. 35-37 right? But how do I make it warmer in the cooler side? One of u said it should be about 26 right?? But if I can’t use a heat mat, what should I do?

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Yeah it’s tilted and I am trying to get the right temp. 35-37 right? But how do I make it warmer in the cooler side? One of u said it should be about 26 right?? But if I can’t use a heat mat, what should I do?
Don’t worry about the cooler side it will be about 80 or 84 on its own. Just focus on the basking area where he spends most of his time. We go by degrees here in the US, for an adult 95-98. I think u go buy Celsius so yes 35-38 is good. The infrared gun is very very accurate please get one so u can shine it on the basking spot and the cooler side to check temps. U shine this Gun an inch above the area and it gives the exact temp. Never use a heat mat. Also make sure his cage is not above an Airconditioning or heater vent.

Latest posts