• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

BeeGee's Not Eating :( please help

SoleSky

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Well more bad news.... The power is out and has been out since 3:30. The icestorm we got brought down many of the powerlines in the area. BeeGee slept on my stomach last night in my two winter jackets. He stayed pretty warm, thank goodness I didn't crush him. Thankfully we have hot water so I've been filling up a ziplock and placing him on it with his blankie. Idk how much longer this will go on but do you think he"ll be okay? Sorry if there are any misspellings I'm on my phone.

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ive heard of beardies going without their lights for 4-6 days. Also due to storms and stuff knocking out power lines. If you have a fireplace you can put him in a temp enclosure in front of the fireplace also to keep him warm.

Alternatively you can continue the ziploc bags, or you can use empty water bottles/soda bottles and fill them with hot water as well. Just wrap a blankie or towel around them and pack around him at night. It should keep him cozy.

Hope your power comes on real soon

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I'm sorry...you can't get a break. Just keep doing what you are doing. I would double or triple bag the ziplocks and put a light towel over it. That will be good for him for a while. If you use an empty bottle like Monique suggested you can even leave it in his tank. He will find it and curl up to it. I know he isn't eating well anyways, but DO NOT feed him anything while the power is out. Can you check your email on your phone to see if the PSPCA has gotten back to you? If you don't hear from them soon, I would call.

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Where in PA are you located? I might have a vet who will do a fecal for you without seeing the animal and he specializes in beardies as well as other reptiles.

SoleSky

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Thank you so much for your concern guys! :) I went to my dads house and brought little BeeGee with me. Temps are now good and hes in a sterilite tub :). He's pretty pissed about all of the ca motion but I think he'll be alright. PSPCA didn't email me back yet, I'll call.

Temp2-2.jpg

Pancake2-2.jpg

SoleSky

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Oh I didn't see your message :). I live near Philadelphia PA, in Bucks County.

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ah...my vet might be too far for you then. Just in case you are willing to try,

Creature Comforts Veterinarian Service
Old Rt 115
Saylorsburg PA
570-992-0400

Be sure to ask for Dr. Michael Weninger!

SoleSky

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Its approximately an hour and a half away, they seem much nicer than the vets around here though. If I can't get PSPCA to see BeeGee then I will try to go there, I just know that my mom is going to say something. My boyfriend will probably take me though :) Thank you for that.

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
No problem. They are going to be quite the distance from you though so it may not be worth it.

SoleSky

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Barb copied me on your email.
Diagnosing and treating a sick bearded dragon is not as simple as running a fecal sample. Many things besides intestinal parasites cause illness in this specie. Additionally, if he is not eating, he is not producing any fecal matter to test.
When an exotic pet like a reptile is brought in for an exam, a good deal of time is spent discussing the home enclosure, substrate, temperature ranges, diet, etc. Most illnesses are brought about by something lacking in the environment. By the time a reptile shows evidence of illness, it has been sick for a long time and is most likely very ill.
I would not waste your money running a test that will very likely have little or no bearing on the nature of the illness. It would be better spent having a physical exam, husbandry evaluation and appropriate diagnostic tests.
I sympathize with your financial concerns. Nearly everyone has them these days. Unfortunately, exotic pets are not inexpensive to maintain and care for. I will be happy to help you and your beardie in the most cost-effective way possible, but it all starts with the exam and consultation.

My vet sent me this, what should I do?

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The thing is this....from what I can tell by looking back a bit your husbandry is good. So the easiest thing to rule in or out is parasites. If parasites are present, then chances are (not always) that is the problem. A few doses of an antibiotic or whatever drug is necessary is usually all they need to be back to their normal selves. Personally I think it is ridiculous to run all sorts of blood work and such just to find out that all it was is parasites. So I always suggest the fecal first...if that comes back negative then I would say absolutely get him/her into the vet.

I can see why they say that and many vets do require a full physical before doing anything else, but there are others that will do the fecal. Have you heard back from the PSPCA?

SoleSky

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Hey, I agree with you and they don't really seem to want to benefit me. I tried calling the PSPCA but they keep putting me on hold for a long time and I don't have a lot of minutes on my phone. My mom told me to try to BCSPCA which the the bucks county SPCA in my area, I'll try there. Also I might try asking Tom if he knows any vets in the area considering he's real close.

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I think I know what the problem is.

Two questions. What was his weight December? What is his weight now?

SoleSky

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Well he had significant weight increase. Not sure exactly I dknt have an accurate scale but he's .8 lbs now

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
That's what i figured. I'm almost positive I know what the problem is.

This is gonna frustrate the living beans out of you, but if you'll trust me, I'm good at this.

When i go backwards in this post, previous posts and answer questions concerning husbandry, feeding, basic care, lighting, supplementation, illness signs or symptoms and over all general health, I find nothing that jumps out and smacks me in the forehead. Trust me, I'm thorough.

There are no issues either in the past past, or recent past that stand to pose a detrimental issue. They have either all been corrected, or didn't exist.

I don't think BeeGee has a health problem, nor do i believe he has parasites. Here's why. His weight is constant. He's gaining, regardless of his intake of food and parasites dehydrate, decreasing the amount of fluid within the body and in turn the weight of the animal. You seem to have only had this issue be ongoing for a few weeks, and although it's not a preferred thing for his age, it's definately not unheard of. The stories around the internet are designed to scare people at times i think. Anyways, his eating has been on and off, kind of like a roller coaster ride. Illness and parasites don't go up and down, they flat line.

If you'll keep an eye on his weight, soak him about 20 minutes each week, and let him ride till the weather breaks, I'm pretty certain you'll see the happy little guy return to his old self in a few more weeks.

SoleSky

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Thanks that makes a lot of sense to me. He seems normal other than the eating thing. His beard isn't black unless I try to offer him food. He doesn't really have stress marks normally either. I've been bathing him every other day. Yesterday he picked at a few dubia but nothing ravenous. He still basks for most of the day and when I take him out he runs around my bed. Hmm, I do need a new UVB though but I'm doing some work for my dad so that should give me the money to buy it. He also ate collards today but not a lot, a few bites here and there. I'll see if I can borrow a kitchen scale from my grandparents and keep track of his weight that way. I cannot wait until spring! Also to add, I moved his log to the other side of his tank and at night he sleeps in it. I put the heating pad over the log and it keeps the tank at 75-80 at night time. He woke up much more perky today.

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have been reading this and I agree with Gina. To make you feel a little better Oscar has been acting the same way for the past 2 months. He normally eats 30 full grown crix a week, he is down to about 6. He still eats as many worms as I will offer. As far as his salad intake, he only eats his salad every 2-4 days. Still bask, still moves around, still acts normal other than eating. He has not had a weight change either.

SoleSky

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Okay :) thanks guys. I emailed Tom and I got his vet who is right in my area! I called them and they were very nice and I am willing to pay the cost because they can do just a fecal. She said shes unsure of the exact price but she said its anywhere between $35-$55 and told me that I can call back on Monday when the herp vet is in. I'm feeling very confident about this veterinarian. I still think it's worth finding out if he has parasites or not and this way I also found a vet that I can see annually for routine. It's the VCA Delaware Valley Animal Hospital in Fairless Hills.

Latest posts