• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

BeeGee's Not Eating :( please help

SoleSky

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Today he ate seven supers in a row! Yay, maybe it's just a phase. Anyway I'm ordering a new UVB and my reptaid should be here tuesday. so we'll see what happens :)

SoleSky

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Hey guys, I had a little improvement with BeeGee a few days ago. He was eating 6 or 7 supers a day for about 3 days. I got reptaid in the mail but once I started administering it to him he stopped eating as much again. It might be all of the snow we have up here though, just got 16 inches. He's also been going to bed earlier. Around 5:30-6:30 instead of 7:30. Not sure if he is partially brumating or not. It's been pretty cold up here at night too, usually its in the 70s but lately its been getting down to 67 and sometimes 65. I am going to try an invest in a CHE, I think I landed myself a job :). I was told that I'd have to wait until February though, which is soon. Is it possible that he could be slowing down because of the snow/ sudden drop in temperature?

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yes. This is quite true. Last fall when the temperatures started to cool, most of my dragons started slowing down...

Just continue to watch, make notes. Congrates on the "new" job, darlin !

Hope this helps.

SoleSky

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Thanks :) I'm super happy. I've been noting down what he's eating each day. He's still active in the morning and eating his salad. He still poos regularly too. I've been bathing him every other day because he's been on reptaid, which so far has had no effect haha. I'm less worried now than before however. Can't wait to get out of this SNOW!

SoleSky

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
BeeGee-Not eating- Partially Brumating? UPDATE

Hey guys,
I think BeeGee might be partially brumating. I heard thats possible at 8 months? I mean he seems to have a lot of fat store in his tail and everything. Today I came home and found him in the sleeping position with his eyes open. I took him out to give him his medicine and he perked up but when I put him back in his tank he went under his log and fell asleep. I turned his lights off though I figured if he wanted to sleep I'd let him. Do you think he's okay to sleep because hes up during the day and since he won't eat or poop anymore I figure hes brumating. What do you guys think?

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have never heard of an 8 month old going through a true brumation. Maybe 11-12 month going through a partial. Did you ever get a fecal done. I know you tried and it didn't work. Have you taken a sample to the vet yet?

SoleSky

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Well he's not going through true brumation, but he might be going through partial idk. I haven't been able to take him because I still don't have money. My job should be starting soon though. Idk

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
At that age the most he should be doing when it comes to brumation is having occasional days where he is a little tired and doesn't do too much. Other than that, he should be eating, pooping, and running around as normal. The fecal shouldn't be too expensive. Maybe $25 or so. I would get that done as soon as possible just to be sure that isn't the problem.

SoleSky

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Well I think my vet requires that they see the animal before the fecal. I tried to email them but they don't have an email only a phone number. I'll call them and see. I don't trust her very much though. It's Indian Walk Veterinary at Newtown PA, if you want to look them up. I'll see what I can do because I want to take him. If I find out that it's more than I can afford though I'll have to put him up for adoption. hmm. This is a frustrating situation. I'll call them tomorrow.

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Oh I completely understand. Are there any other vets in that area. I know a few people from PA, maybe they can help you with finding a vet.

SoleSky

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Well there is also Newtown Veterinary Clinic but I don't think they could treat exotics, however I emailed them asking if they could just do a fecal test and they said no. There are plenty of vets, I'm not sure which ones treat exotics, most of them nearby don't even have a website so I get worried. I found a fecal float kit online that I could try again, but I'm sure it's better coming from a professional. I finally found an email address from Indian Walk. I feel like there just aren't any good vets, they always misdiagnose or do something that harms them even more. I guess I'm just generalizing though, I feel so bad for BeeGee, I just want to give him the proper care. He's my first baby and I've really grown attached. I mean hes on my mind everyday at school, when I'm at the gym, when I'm driving just all of the time in general. I think I can get him the fecal at least, I mean even if it's $60 like someone said, I'll find the money, I can always sell stuff. Thank you for keeping in touch it means a lot to just know that someone experienced is there. It can get exhausting hearing my mom tell me "well maybe he's just too fat and decided to go on a diet".

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Even if they dont normally treat exotics...they should be able to do a fecal. It is no different then doing one for a mammal.

SoleSky

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Yeah thats what I thought, I will actually try and visit their office I think I talked to a desk person. I put a heating pad under with a blanket and set it on medium. It doesn't get hot I've been monitoring it.

BeeGeeJan-31.jpg

SoleSky

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Just called the vet. Indian Walk charges $21 for the fecal but $65 just for seeing him. So it would be $86 for a fecal and a visit. They won't let me get a fecal until they see him. I then called Newtown Veterinary, a non-exotics vet and they don't do them at all for beardies even though it's only a fecal. Why do vets suck? I tried 3 others none would get a fecal done.

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
What a cutie he is. I don't recommend the heating pad because they can get burned, but I see why you would try it. Be very VERY careful and monitor it if you are going to use it. A beardie doesn't feel heat from under and can burn just laying there.

That's awful that nobody will do a fecal without seeing him. That could just be the policy out there. The only other suggestions I have would be to bite the bullet and pay the full cost (I totally understand the expense) or maybe bring him to the PSPCA....I believe (not absolutely positive though) that they will do testing and procedures without you having to release him. Call them and see if they would run a fecal on him. I am sure it would be a minimum cost if they do.

SoleSky

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Yeah I am aware of the lack of heat indication on the belly but can assure you that it doesn't get any warmer than my leg. Thanks for the heads up tho. :). I would bite the bullet and pay the full cost but first I need the money. I also don't want them running all different types of tests before the fecal comes back because it will only stress him more. Then I'd have to pay another 65 for them to see him again. I will try the pspca because it's close and where I got my first dog :). They are good I'll call them after school. Thanks I didn't think of that!

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I think you will have the best luck there. I bet they will do just a fecal for you too. Let me know.

SoleSky

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Thanks for the advice, I emailed them because I am a better writer than I am speaker so hopefully they'll get back to me tomorrow. Also tomorrow is my last day of reptaid treatment so we'll see if he bounces back after that. I was going to try some of that soy yogurt to boost his gut flora even though reptaid says you don't need to treat with a probiotic. Idk about reptaid, it seems like he got worse since he started. I'll see what happened after I stop the 10 day treatment. Like some of you said this really isn't a miracle drug. Also if I get the fecal and it is positive would I be able to get panacur or would I need to schedule a vet visit?

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The meds would depend on what parasite (if any) are present.
Also...if you are going to use a pribiotic go with benebac or acidophilus. I wouldnt suggest a soy yogurt. Looking forward to seeing what the email brings.

Latest posts