• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Another addition to my odd brood

Red Ink AUS

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hi Guys,

Just thought i would share my excitement. I have recently acquired (still waiting to grab it in a couple more weeks) a female Antaresia Maculosa (spotted python). After months and months of searching and deliberation between species, I finally found one in the phase (blonde) and the locality I'm after. She is going to be my first venture into snakes. I will post pics of her as soon as i get her home (cant wait).

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
awesome Francis I'm stoked for pics.

Isn't this the bat eater? I'll assume you compensate a different prey

Red Ink AUS

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
ladyknite said:
awesome Francis I'm stoked for pics.

Isn't this the bat eater? I'll assume you compensate a different prey

Yep, most Australian carpets are bat eaters well locality specific ones as this is a trait only known to specific localities of Australian pythons. All snakes are just fed FT rodents or quails here in OZ with the larger species requiring rabbits as food, feeding live prey falls under our Animal cruelty laws. My Spotted is from Mt. Malloy in Northern part of Queensland as do most blonde phase spotteds are from around that region.

Spotteds are probably the least favoured snake in captivity here as often they are very feisty (well the normal phase are). The upside to that is that they are very good feeders. They are from the Antaresia group which comprises of four species only growing to around 1 metre in length (Childrens, Spotteds, Stimsons and the Pygmy only growing to about 2 foot).

I will post the pics when she get's here. She is going to be shipped in the next few weeks as soon as the legal paperwork for the importation license clears.

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Do you have to have any specific permits to keep her?

Can you explain to me how feeding live violates animal cruelty laws? I would think that keeping it as natural as possible would be the goal.

Red Ink AUS

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
No other permits needed apart from the license i already hold. I don't fully understand the reasoning behind the feeding of live prey being part of animal cruelty but we have it here. Most people here are actually against it not for moral/ethical reasons but plain and simply live prey can hurt the snake if it struggles or bites it. No point of risking your specimen if it will take FT prey.

Red Ink AUS

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
P1000708.jpg

I will be moving the shingleback from the top enclosure to the bottom. I have had a bit of trouble achieving proper thermal gradient in the stumpy tank as i run an MVB in there. Two days ago that MVB blew out so the decision was made to move the stumpy to the bottom tank as that is actually set up for a lizard (as originally planned) and not a snake. The bottom tank has a 2 foot fluoro mount in there so I'll use that for the UVB insted of an MVB and just run lower wattage basking bulbs to achieve better thermal gradients. The top tank is top opening so it's also easier to remodel it to suit a terestrial snake than the bottom tank as light cages would be a PITA to mount in the bottom enclosure.

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Canna wait to see it, Francis !
Janie...
That pine cone needs a hug .... ;)

Red Ink AUS

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
YAHOOOOO ;D I get her tommorow, all the paper work came through Monday and she will be shipped tommorow (should have her by the afternoon). I will post the pics next week for you guys of my little bat eater. I wanna give her a few days to adjust before i start sticking a camera in her face lol.

ilovecacti

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
haha how kool! red ink......(name?) i have a BP but prolly not as exciting as that lol i hope hes a great little snkae have fun i never will get tired of my babie.....ive never seen one so it will be a suprise to me lol i hope all go's well with the shipment and what not! ;D

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ok Francis................drop dead date. Pics dude!!!! You've got us all teetering on the edge of the chair.

DragonMom

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I'm with Gina on this! You've been teasing us so it's time to cough up some pics!

ilovecacti

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
ooohhh thats right i think i heard francis around here somewhere....lol well hi francis lol lucky snake owner

Red Ink AUS

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Patience guys ;D (you guys are worse than me lol), by Wednesday next week pics should be up I promise. lol

DragonMom

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
***bummed and pouting a little*** We'll hold you to this Francis! LOL We're anxious to see her. ;D

Latest posts