• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

your thoughts. PLEASE

reptyfae

Hatchling Dragon
The dragon that I currently have is the sweetest creature on earth, she is calm and just chills.

But as a first time bearded dragon owner, I received her with a lump on her face that im affraid I cant take care of it very well since im a beginner and reptiles dont heal fast(if the vets give me medication for her I wouldnt know how to professionally act. )

Do you think i should return her to the guy who gave her to me and get another one while hoping it would be nice like my current dragon?

Sarah Kwiatkowski

Juvenile Dragon
I believe if you have the resources and care for your dragon you should care for her , but if you feel you can not give her the best care I would have the breeder take care of her . The new dragon might not have the same temperment as the other dragon but as long as you bond with her it will still have a nice temperment . Overall if you can care for her , I would keep her but if not you can always get the new baby to trust you the same . I hope this helps ! This is your choice so just follow your instinct .

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
You would really be surprised at how well you react in emergency situations. It's all very scary when they get sick because we don't know what's wrong with them and they can't tell us what hurts. You have to remember though that they NEED you, that you are their provider of care and love and that will help you through the scary stuff.

I don't have experience with a sick bearded dragon but I have experience with sick frogs. I was a new frog owner and one of my frogs started acting funny. I waited until the last possible minute to return it and I did but I felt guilty the whole time. I found out later that what happens is they take the sick frog and put it in a tank in the back room and they have a vet look at it and "nurse it" back to health. I didn't believe any of it so I still feel bad about returning it. Two months later my favorite frog got sick, I went through an agonizing week of what should I do, should I take it to the vet? Should I just let it be (it was too late to take it back to the store)? After a week I realized that they are not disposable pets, it was my responsibility to care for it because it couldn't care for itself, I had to TRY. So I took it to the vet. The vet taught me not to be afraid and how to care for her. I had to give her oral medicine twice a day which was hard because I had to pry her mouth open to get the syringe in. Unfortunately, with frogs by the time they show us they are sick, you have to react right away. After a week of treatment my frog died. After this happened, I woke up one day to find that one of my frogs had a prolapse. Without even thinking I went to the kitchen made a honey bath and treated my frog. I wasn't scared, I knew it was the thing that was supposed to be done making it feel better just came naturally.

What if you took the bearded dragon to the vet and found out was was wrong with it and then decided what to do with it? It's quite possible it's something not real serious and easily treatable. If it's something more, and you don't feel you can treat it, maybe you can surrender it to the vet and they can care for it or find someone that can.

reptyfae

Hatchling Dragon
You would really be surprised at how well you react in emergency situations.

What if you took the bearded dragon to the vet and found out was was wrong with it and then decided what to do with it? It's quite possible it's something not real serious and easily treatable. If it's something more, and you don't feel you can treat it, maybe you can surrender it to the vet and they can care for it or find someone that can.

True. there are about 5 or 6 Vets/Pet Hotels around me so i dont know which one to choose, plus there are also maybe more than 9 vets a little bit far but still in my city so i have to think wise of where to go and which has a fair price.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Make sure you choose one that treats bearded dragons. I live in a city and there's a vet basically on every block but I have to take a train and a bus to get to get to the one that treats exotic animals.

Latest posts