• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

yet another shop rant

egg 80

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
well where do i start,
i went into my local pet shop today pets at home to get some more calcium powder and they have just set up to have reps in well they now have leos and beardies looking at the tanks the beardies are in yes they look good but thae tanks are 3'tall glass vivs and no more than 1'6" wide square they have 2 tanks with baby beardies in there
1 tank housed 9 baby beardies and the other housed 4 both tanks
the uvb light is 2.0 repti glo and is 24" away from the highest basking spot which one beardie was balancing on and streatching upwards.
they both used sand as a substrate which were full i mean full of urate, fecies, shed skin and salad.
the heat mat which you could see at the front was the full size of the bottom of the viv with the probe attached to it and digi thermometer probe attached to it
there was 4 bowls in there one worm bowl which was full of calcium powder, a empty water bowl and 2 food bowls which had more dried on urates and fecies in them than food.
their other heat sources were a 240w ceramic heater which was in a metal mesh guard which only just fitted it was no further than 4" away from highest baskin spot and a 60w spot bulb right next to the ceramic heater same distance from baskin spot.
and all the beardies look really dehydrated
they had 1 viv which was better set up which had 4 adult beardies in and was filthy

now i dunno well i probably do know what your all gonna say about it,
when i got to the till as there were no staff around to speak to as i was paying for my powder as asked the assistant who was in charge and i got told they are in a meeting what a supprise so i then asked who was in charge of the reptile section who he called to come see me i then took them to the beardies and pointed out the problems and all i got was ehhh i dont understand what you mean so i asked if they knew about the species they are selling and they said only what they told us. so i said im just wasting my time even speaking to you who the store call a expert in the field, when i got home i phoned the shop to get told by the manager that they dont really care on the setups and how clean the tanks are.
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
so when they decide to answer the phone at head office theres gonna be one very unhappy chappie on the other end
paul

Boogiesmom

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I can only imagine how frustrating that was. Sometimes I would like to picket them to bring it to the presses attention.

egg 80

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
the thing that gets me is these people working in this section are supposed to be trained experts and the store actually refers to them as experts probably not expecting to have experiance handlers to go in there and criticise them for ill care of their animals i just sent my missis there to get one of their care sheets youll laugh when i tell you this apparently beardies dont bite, apparently beardies are best kept in colonys of 3, apparently baby beardies only need feeding once a day and carrots and red peppers are to be offered daily with lettuce and theres alot more but i wont get into it cos im boiling up again but will update as process goes on if i dont get anywhere with the the papers are going to be contacted
paul

egg 80

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
great news head office contacted me to tell me their head of animals will contact me to discuss my concerns about a hour late he phone and actually was really nice, so i explained my concerns within the store and also my concerns on the care sheet they provide, the care sheet in question he has assured me he is recalling all of them for a reprint on things which were a oversight on their part, and he also assures me that the vivs will be re set up, all this really supprised me as i was expecting to have a bit of a fight on my hands with everyone knowing the probs with pet shops,
the next problem was the staff not knowing anything about what they are supposed to be experts in these staff members are to go for retraining as they were appauled in the cleaning regime they hold instore and the availability of staff members around the reptile area
i have emailed the gentleman a small caresheet which i have put together foe him mainly regarding the issues brought up andi am to recieve another call in the next few days off the same bloke after he has looked through the care sheet so he can bring any concerns he has with my infomation.
he told me that all their care info was taken from a number of different care sheets carefuly selected off the net and reptuable breeder in the uk who turns out to be the biggest wholesaler not breeder in the uk i am so happy for this result and look forward to see all the changes made and the best bit i cant wait to go in there with questions and seeing if i get answers instead of eeeerrrrrrrrrrmmmmmmm i dont know
paul ;D

corrine

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
That's great you were able to make a differance in the lives of these animals. Now the tough part of making sure they actually do what they say they are going to do.

egg 80

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
the bonus part of that is the shop is only 1.5miles away and have got direct contact with the big man he was appauled when i told him the state of the vivs he wasnt happy at all so i think he's gonna step up to the mark, i have emailed him a small care sheet he asked for so he can take bits and bobs from it to rectify theirs if anyone wants a read and tell me what they think i will post it up here so you all can tell me of any changes i could make to it.
paul

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I am so happy you were able to help the reps. I hope they are better cared for from now on.

egg 80

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
;D im just glad to be able to help the little critters against cruelty
paul

Latest posts