• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Yellow tail base/inconsistent scales

AlfredoTheLizard

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello! I’ve had my bearded dragon since he was about 2 month old. A few days ago I noticed his tail seemed a bit yellower than I remember. I wasn’t too concerned but now I’m not sure if it’s gotten worse. He hasn’t had an strange behavior, he’s eating normally, and he’s about 8 months old right now. Anyone know if this is normal? Or if it’s possibly the beginning stages of yellow fungus?
image.jpg
image.jpg

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hello! I’ve had my bearded dragon since he was about 2 month old. A few days ago I noticed his tail seemed a bit yellower than I remember. I wasn’t too concerned but now I’m not sure if it’s gotten worse. He hasn’t had an strange behavior, he’s eating normally, and he’s about 8 months old right now. Anyone know if this is normal? Or if it’s possibly the beginning stages of yellow fungus? View attachment 29019View attachment 29020
It's not yellow fungus--- what kind of uvb are you using--- please NO COILS-- brand and bulb please

AlfredoTheLizard

Bearded Dragon Egg
It's not yellow fungus--- what kind of uvb are you using--- please NO COILS-- brand and bulb please
Nope, absolutely no coils!! Pretty sure it’s this one in the attached screenshot. It’s a 10.0 UVB bulb in a hood that is almost as long as his 40 gallon tank.
A5BD4AFE-9EF3-44ED-A9C7-BE2C9185B882.png

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Nope, absolutely no coils!! Pretty sure it’s this one in the attached screenshot. It’s a 10.0 UVB bulb in a hood that is almost as long as his 40 gallon tank. View attachment 29027
Ok so where is it top of screen or inside the tank--- distance and placement is crucial-- the difference between the two bulbs T 5 or T 8 - is it a fine screen or wide holed type-

AlfredoTheLizard

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok so where is it top of screen or inside the tank--- distance and placement is crucial-- the difference between the two bulbs T 5 or T 8 - is it a fine screen or wide holed type-
It’s on-top of the screen and I’d say it’s a fairly fine holed screen. It sits toward the front of the tank, and the tank is 17 inches tall, the tallest spot he has to get to it is about 10 inches away. I could possibly move it to the back of the tank if that would help him? It would then be about 5 inches above him. Or should i move it inside the tank if possible? I didn’t know that was a thing I could do. Here’s a picture of his tank too, and you can see where the hood lamp is. (Also we do have a temp gun to monitor the temperature, not just that one in the corner)
image.jpg
image.jpg

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It’s on-top of the screen and I’d say it’s a fairly fine holed screen. It sits toward the front of the tank, and the tank is 17 inches tall, the tallest spot he has to get to it is about 10 inches away. I could possibly move it to the back of the tank if that would help him? It would then be about 5 inches above him. Or should i move it inside the tank if possible? I didn’t know that was a thing I could do. Here’s a picture of his tank too, and you can see where the hood lamp is. (Also we do have a temp gun to monitor the temperature, not just that one in the corner) View attachment 29029View attachment 29028
The T 5 can sit on top of screen but make sure your basking decor is 8-10 inches directly above the decor-- I want someone else to look at those scales and see what they think- I will get back w/ you

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I had some one look at the dragon that is more experienced than I and this is what she said

Nothing wrong there, the light yellow hue is just natural color. Scales look fine, the dragon is normal scaled so they can look more prominent when people are used to the seemingly more popular trans. + leatherback.

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
It looks normal to me, ive noticed on some dragons their scale spacing is different, thats what it looks like to me, definitely not yf, i like the little patch of bark chip you got for him , just make sure ur on top of his supplements and vitamins.

AlfredoTheLizard

Bearded Dragon Egg
I had some one look at the dragon that is more experienced than I and this is what she said

Nothing wrong there, the light yellow hue is just natural color. Scales look fine, the dragon is normal scaled so they can look more prominent when people are used to the seemingly more popular trans. + leatherback.
Okay! Glad to hear, I’ll still keep an eye out on him incase anything changes. Thank you for all your help!!

AlfredoTheLizard

Bearded Dragon Egg
It looks normal to me, ive noticed on some dragons their scale spacing is different, thats what it looks like to me, definitely not yf, i like the little patch of bark chip you got for him , just make sure ur on top of his supplements and vitamins.
Yeah I thought maybe it could just be because he’s getting bigger and just changing a bit! And thank you, he loves that little patch because he’s always had a thing for digging, he makes a MESS though. And yep got him with calcium/d3 and repashy superfood.

Latest posts