• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Yard/Garage sales

beardie_love

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I love these. I go at every oppotunity I have. But here is my problem:

Having them. I actually loooove having them, but people are sometimes just ridiculous. I had one this weekend.

My problem is, people offering lower on items. Really? It's a yard sale - things are cheap, and you want them cheaper? Ridiculous. An example is, my sister had this inflatable boat-type thing. 5 bucks. Probably worth $30+ in stores. Now, someone offers 3 dollars. Seriously?

Another thing that happened this weekend is that some lady ripped us off. She bought items that should've come up to $4.75. She walks up to us, hands us some change, and just walks away. My sister finally counts that change and that lady ripped us off a dollar! It's not the fact that it's a dollar, it's the fact that she did that.

Something that also bothers me is people saying something is cheaper than it actually is. For example, I was selling some Pokemon cards. They were 3 bucks a pile. So, some guy comes up to me and says "You're asking $2 for these?"

Here's more. I had a purse for $5. Some guy comes up to me and asks if I'll take $3 for it. I say "No" and he says "That's all I have". Like, I'm not buying your sob story. This may seem harsh, but I'm pretty reasonable. I mean, that was an expensive purse to be selling that cheap. And the funny thing is, that guy came back not too long after and bought it for $5. Hmmm.

WELL, this is just a little bit of a yard/garage sale rant.

Feel free to agree or disagree? Any stories you have?

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
To be honest.. I have always been the horse trader when it comes to yard sales... I will in fact haggle with the seller for better prices, if the condition of said item warrants in my eyes, a lower price... Now that isn't saying everything is haggled over.. For instance.. I found many many years ago, a china cabinet, in excellent condition, for $250. I snapped that up, knowing I had a serious deal... Turned out that cabinet was an antique.. worth faaaar more..

corrine

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I too tend to haggle on prices on somethings. Like the tank that I just bought for Yoyo. It was marked 50. I looked at it and noticed that the plastic on the top was melted and the screen was torn, so I offered 40 and the lady was happy to take it. That's what garage sales are all about is haggling.

beardie_love

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Yes, haggling is perfectly acceptable, depending. It's really the fact that something is $5 (the item is reasonably priced (cheap)), and they want to go lower....
Corrine, that makes sense. If something is in not in the best condition and the price tag is a 'little' high for a garage sale, then I agree with offering a bit lower.

pscaulkins

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I love to haggle also but when I have a garage sale, I up my prices a little so that someone can offer less. Last year I had a huge sale and priced really cheap to get rid of things. I actually had two elderly men rip us off. I had a small table by my chair that had pocket knifes and after the elderly men left that table was bare but I know I never sold any. Grrrrr... I also had a 4 year old GE cookstove that was in excellent shape and put $25.00 on it and someone offered me $10. I told them before I would sell it to them, I would donate it to a needy family.

Latest posts