• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Worried about my beardie

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Are the compact uvb really bad ? I can’t get the bulb that’s fits my fixture in Europe and I can’t find any new light fixtures that will work in my set up only ones for certain brands, I know some options may be better than others but the bulb I have does say it’s provides uvb and it seems to be the only type of uvb I can find in Europe so I don’t know what else I can do for now unless I wait over a month to get one delivered from outside Europe :(
You didn’t answer my questions is ur dragon on d3 supplement? Its pretty important, Your dragons current situation speaks for itself :( , compact/“coil” uvb are NOT good (they can keep the dragon “alive” but on a slow decline, they offer either too much uvb in a concentrated stream or little to none at all) i personally have had experience with them being bad , my beardy started closing one eye , became lethargic, didn’t want to eat, started sleeping all day, yes they will perk up when you take them out, which can be confusing for a owner cause you think “oh he’s acting normal outside the enclosure everything must be fine” , I mean no disrespect, but ur dragons suffering, uvb is the MOST important thing when owning reptiles, dont go cheap, or else you’ll end up paying more in vet bills for a sick animal, its up to you, were not trying to make you buy stuff you dont need,
If you’ve been given to much info from the others above i can simplify it for you,
Absolutely NEEDS!!: a good uvb, a digital probe thermometer (to get accurate temps), calcium with d3 , please mount the one fixture in the top of the enclosure (this one’s really important) , you got a good enclosure already, you just need to tweak some things, again I apologize if im coming off rude or insensitive, i dont mean to be, but with that being said, if you can’t afford to get him the uvb he NEEDS you don’t deserve to have him :( , you need to weigh the cost before you start a project, bearded dragons are NOT cheap beginner Animals like everyone says, they can cost you 1000$ for the first year (if you buy all the wrong stuff in the beginning that is) but you have most of what we need, while ur waiting for your new bulb, take him out and get him some real sun for 30mins a day, that might help..

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Are the compact uvb really bad ? I can’t get the bulb that’s fits my fixture in Europe and I can’t find any new light fixtures that will work in my set up only ones for certain brands, I know some options may be better than others but the bulb I have does say it’s provides uvb and it seems to be the only type of uvb I can find in Europe so I don’t know what else I can do for now unless I wait over a month to get one delivered from outside Europe :(
Look for Arcadias they are the most common in UK
here is a website to look https://www.reptiles.swelluk.com/reptile-supplies/reptile-lights/uv-kits/
You want a 24" Pro T 5 12% Desert or Euro bulb --- how tall is your tank ?????

Zexymenace

Bearded Dragon Egg
You didn’t answer my questions is ur dragon on d3 supplement? Its pretty important, Your dragons current situation speaks for itself :( , compact/“coil” uvb are NOT good (they can keep the dragon “alive” but on a slow decline, they offer either too much uvb in a concentrated stream or little to none at all) i personally have had experience with them being bad , my beardy started closing one eye , became lethargic, didn’t want to eat, started sleeping all day, yes they will perk up when you take them out, which can be confusing for a owner cause you think “oh he’s acting normal outside the enclosure everything must be fine” , I mean no disrespect, but ur dragons suffering, uvb is the MOST important thing when owning reptiles, dont go cheap, or else you’ll end up paying more in vet bills for a sick animal, its up to you, were not trying to make you buy stuff you dont need,
If you’ve been given to much info from the others above i can simplify it for you,
Absolutely NEEDS!!: a good uvb, a digital probe thermometer (to get accurate temps), calcium with d3 , please mount the one fixture in the top of the enclosure (this one’s really important) , you got a good enclosure already, you just need to tweak some things, again I apologize if im coming off rude or insensitive, i dont mean to be, but with that being said, if you can’t afford to get him the uvb he NEEDS you don’t deserve to have him :( , you need to weigh the cost before you start a project, bearded dragons are NOT cheap beginner Animals like everyone says, they can cost you 1000$ for the first year (if you buy all the wrong stuff in the beginning that is) but you have most of what we need, while ur waiting for your new bulb, take him out and get him some real sun for 30mins a day, that might help..
I started him on the supplement thank you, and yeah I understand what your saying I will buy the bulb I only meant that Will the current bulb be fine until then as it will be waiting over a month I’m just wanting to make sure he’s not gonna die in the meantime

Zexymenace

Bearded Dragon Egg
I started him on the supplement thank you, and yeah I understand what your saying I will buy the bulb I only meant that Will the current bulb be fine until then as it will be waiting over a month I’m just wanting to make sure he’s not gonna die in the meantime
Also I did rescue him I didn’t plan on getting a beardie so soon without all the proper research done but he had no heater and wasn’t being looked after at all by the previous owner so I’d have rather taken him out of that situation then leaving him to die with them

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
He’ll be declining in the meantime, get him outside for some sun and he’ll be doing better.

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
He’ll be declining in the meantime, get him outside for some sun and he’ll be doing better.
Good job on the rescue. A Beardie needs a clear Heat/basking tyoically zoomed basking bulb is good; NOT a heater and a long tubular bulb for UVB called the Reptisun 10.0 T5. Keep both on for 10-12 hours in the winter and 12-14 more like 14 in the summer. Right now give him more like 12-14 since he’s been deprived. Buy or use what you have and return it when the correct ones come in because something is better than nothing. Also sky bug is correct too; pf it’s hot outside let him sit on your lap or next to you on the ground and get some heat/UVB from the sun for an hour or however long he can handle. U will need calcium with D3 (REPCAL) to sprinkle on his proteins 4-5 times per week once per day & you will need herptivite for vitamins to sprinkle once per day/once per week on a non calcium day. Lots of proteins and awnweyday his plate of veggies/greens to get him strong and healthy. No bottled food & no mealworms ever. Stick to crickets Dubia roaches, super worms as treats a few times a week and some hornworms 1 per week or 2/month those are high in fat. Do yellow squash which has lots of calcium which they need, mustard greens, collard greens, dandelions, endives, butternut squash, green beans and snap peas. Cut them up to his size and do a plate of a mix of 2-4 per day. Curtis a few times a week as treats; blueberries, mangoes and papayas. U may do some apples/bananas too. Here are police of what to order.

Attachments

• 25BB0823-0788-4A2A-A620-04E1DBF4B8F0.jpeg
    25BB0823-0788-4A2A-A620-04E1DBF4B8F0.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 7
  • 9DB601B4-1F5A-476D-A6FD-17B526617715.jpeg
    9DB601B4-1F5A-476D-A6FD-17B526617715.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 5
  • 1BD3FA63-1310-48B2-8EA1-1FB38A29CBFD.jpeg
    1BD3FA63-1310-48B2-8EA1-1FB38A29CBFD.jpeg
    748.4 KB · Views: 4
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 5

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Use the coiled UVB that u have till the proper one arrives. He needs Heat and UVB. Tyoically colored and coiled bulbs are bad for them but for now use it till the long correct one arrives. I hope u have a clear heat bulb for heat look at the pics I posted of what to buy. That’s terrible that in other countries they don’t have the proper lighting they should not sell beardies if that’s the case. Here’s the contact for Europe for the uvb Reptisun

Attachments

• C78FB075-5067-4AC3-AC23-8B3314A84AD9.jpeg
    C78FB075-5067-4AC3-AC23-8B3314A84AD9.jpeg
    453.5 KB · Views: 6

Capngram

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi so I was hoping to get some advice on how I can help my bearded dragon? So I rescued him about 6 months ago from someone who was selling him online who didn’t know how to care for reptiles (had no heater) they weren’t able to tell me his age or what his diet had been like as it was their grandson who was caring for him and he left the country and they didn’t have much English. He’s my first beardie so I’m not experienced at all and I’m worried about his health. To me he looks fine maybe a bit on the small side but not dangerously skinny (i think?!) since I’ve had him he’s only pooped maybe 3/4 times which I know is not good, he’s not active at all and will sleep for days not moving , if I take him out of his tank he will have his eyes open and be reactive and will walk around the room (no signs of paralysis or pain) but then will just find a spot to sleep again. He also won’t eat any type of veggie I give him only sometimes will eat peppers and only eats mealworms after a lot of encouragement from me I can get him to eat some every few days but other than that he does not seem very interested in food, for hydration I spray water on him once a day and he doesn’t seem to be dehydrated when I do the pinch test on his scales. He also has a sperm plug hanging out but I’m trying to take care of that with soaks not sure if I can pull them out I don’t want to hurt him hoping he passes it with his next poop but he does not poop really at all which is my main worry! Is there any advice on what I can do to try and make him pass poop ? I’ve attached some pictures of him that were taken recently any advice is appreciated! View attachment 29449
Hi! I’m sure others will comment further, but how long are the soaks? I can tell you that baths for my Grand Dragon have to be slightly above her elbow in depth, take at least 20 minutes and also require me making a light “ocean current” in the water before she’ll poop.

Bhsdemons24

Bearded Dragon Egg
Make sure he has a basking spot , which should be about 100 degrees or 105. The hot side should be around 90 degrees and the cold side 80. You need a UVB light . Do not get the coil bulb one . Get the T5 hood

Thundercat

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hi so I was hoping to get some advice on how I can help my bearded dragon? So I rescued him about 6 months ago from someone who was selling him online who didn’t know how to care for reptiles (had no heater) they weren’t able to tell me his age or what his diet had been like as it was their grandson who was caring for him and he left the country and they didn’t have much English. He’s my first beardie so I’m not experienced at all and I’m worried about his health. To me he looks fine maybe a bit on the small side but not dangerously skinny (i think?!) since I’ve had him he’s only pooped maybe 3/4 times which I know is not good, he’s not active at all and will sleep for days not moving , if I take him out of his tank he will have his eyes open and be reactive and will walk around the room (no signs of paralysis or pain) but then will just find a spot to sleep again. He also won’t eat any type of veggie I give him only sometimes will eat peppers and only eats mealworms after a lot of encouragement from me I can get him to eat some every few days but other than that he does not seem very interested in food, for hydration I spray water on him once a day and he doesn’t seem to be dehydrated when I do the pinch test on his scales. He also has a sperm plug hanging out but I’m trying to take care of that with soaks not sure if I can pull them out I don’t want to hurt him hoping he passes it with his next poop but he does not poop really at all which is my main worry! Is there any advice on what I can do to try and make him pass poop ? I’ve attached some pictures of him that were taken recently any advice is appreciated! View attachment 29449
He looks healthy, he may need more heat, what are your temperatures in cage? Do you have a uvb florescent light across the length of the cage? If he doesn't want to eat veggies try giving him some baby food, organic preferably. I did this for my baby, he is very picky. This way he will have something on his stomach. I did green beans, sweet potatoes, squash peas and for fruit I did banana, apple, blueberries. Just a little variety. You can add the calcium to it. I used needless sryrenges. This is also great for when they are sick. The become familiar with the sryrenge feeling. If you feel he is sick take him to doctor tight away, he could have parasites or be sick and need medication.

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Make sure he has a basking spot , which should be about 100 degrees or 105. The hot side should be around 90 degrees and the cold side 80. You need a UVB light . Do not get the coil bulb one . Get the T5 hood
Adult Beardies temp should be 95-100 NOT 100-105 that’s for Beardies under 8mnths of age

FinniansMom

Bearded Dragon Egg
Make sure what you’re seeing is a sperm plug, and not a prolapse. Don’t pull until you know!!! Stress of having slight constipation and trying to go can cause a prolapse, so be sure you know the difference.

mybeardieandme3in1

Bearded Dragon Egg

mybeardieandme3in1

Bearded Dragon Egg

Hello Zexymemance

Well first and foremost you can remove the sperm plug with either your fingers or a pair of tweezers, but do it slowly. Also check his feramon du c to along his legs to see if they are swollen, if so give him a nice warm bath and use a soft toothbrush to soften them up and squeeze gently to extract them make sure the area is clean.
There is a lot of different options out there to get his weight up, you can buy some critical care power and mix with water and feed it to him by cringe he will protest. But all you have to do is pull on the side of his mouth gently and put cringe there and empty it into his mouth.

Here are somethings I have for mine.

One other thing, what country are you from just so you can get the stuff I showed you.

Here is my beardie.

mybeardieandme3in1

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello Zexymemance

Well first and foremost you can remove the sperm plug with either your fingers or a pair of tweezers, but do it slowly. Also check his feramon du c to along his legs to see if they are swollen, if so give him a nice warm bath and use a soft toothbrush to soften them up and squeeze gently to extract them make sure the area is clean.
There is a lot of different options out there to get his weight up, you can buy some critical care power and mix with water and feed it to him by cringe he will protest. But all you have to do is pull on the side of his mouth gently and put cringe there and empty it into his mouth.

Here are somethings I have for mine.

One other thing, what country are you from just so you can get the stuff I showed you.

Here is my beardie.

mybeardieandme3in1

Bearded Dragon Egg

processed-f82d8318-7626-4414-a38c-d96e906c667a_suamA058.jpeg

Latest posts